Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

United Services Supply Co London

Does anyone know anything about United Services Supply Co.? Maybe one of our older British FLoungers? I get the impression that it was a bit like Army and Navy Stores, and sold everything from toothbrushes to tents etc.

I know they were incorporated in 1956, and dissolved in 1985 or so. But I suspect they were around before incorporation. There's an interview online with someone who worked there when a struggling young actor, and he was old, so must have been in the 40s-early 50s.

Here's a label from a leather jacket I own:

$(KGrHqFHJEgFDTD1B)B6BQ8rggh-m!~~60_58.JPG

OK, the story I was thinking of is Eric Lindsay (later to become the illusionist "Zee") who worked at United Services Supply Company in one of the years before he took the part of Renfield in Bela Lugosi's last full Dracula tour in 1951. Lindsay was born in 1929, and the interview implies that the employment at United Services Supply Co. was sometime between his becoming a professional actor in 1946/47 ("At the age of 17") and 1951, his big-ish break with Lugosi. He was running coffee shops with his partner from 1954 or so, then nightclubs.

So, it would seem that the company certainly was around before the 1956 incorporation date.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
hiya Baron, long time no see.

Afraid I know nothing about them but I have owned several leather jackets - and seen many others - with their label in, all of which I'd date to the period 1955-65. But it seems to have been rare to put labels in British jackets in the 30s and 40s, so as you suggest they may have been around a long time before then.

Long time indeed! Hope you're up for posting more.

This jacket I'd put sometime in the '50-'60 range. It's cut exactly like an A2, but with different pockets, and that variegated colour British waistband elastic. Leather typical of British jackets of the time - lightweight calf or heavy sheep. The collar is very A2-ish but without snaps. The zipper is a late 40s/early 50s Aero - the model that looked very much like the talon with rounded corner-ed rectangular puller.

I will get some pics at some point, probably at the weekend.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yes, pictures are always good!

I've always felt that logo looks 1955-65 because of the US flag. Possibly such a logo might have come in during the war to reflect the alliance, but in general British manufacturers don't start using Americanization as a selling point till the advent of R'n'R mid 1950s...e.g. Lewis Leathers start using a US flag on some of their gear, culminating in the BudGanz range. It's not jut re logos and advertizing of course, US design influence becomes much stronger around then.You often get leather jackets from that era that are exactly like the 30s and 40s britjackets except they do things like add western scalloped yokes and make them in...shock horror! Black!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou