Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I find it to be jingoistic trash that was so typical of the putrid-in-every-way-imaginable 1980s. In fact, I used to joke that Cruise's Top Gun character was the same guy--not just actor-- in Born on the Fourth of July...but then don't get me started on Oliver Stone...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's bad.

I should have written that better - It was bad to me. Probably one of the most unpopular opinions to see this thread :embarassed:

Napoleon Dynamite was just weak, third rate, wannabe-cult trash. I found all the characters utterly unlikeable, most particularly the eponymous Napoleon.

I was in high school when Napoleon came out. For an entire year, and well into the next, everything you said to someone was responded to with a line from the movie. Hilarity would then ensue. "Whatever I feel like I wanna do... Gosh..." Hah. Hah. Hah.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I should have written that better - It was bad to me. Probably one of the most unpopular opinions to see this thread :embarassed:

Don't let them push you around; I agree completely with your opinion on Night of the Hunter--it's a huge bore; in fact any movie with Shelley Winters in it is bound to annoy (though I can endure her in Harper).

The one movie with Shelley Winters that sticks in my mind is the bizarrely-cast King of the Gypsies which also featured Sterling Hayden, a very young Brooke Shields and Judd Hirsch (who was the only one who was believable as a gypsy.)

As for Top Gun, though I'm an aviation buff, even the flying sequences weren't interesting enough for me to want to see it again. The only thing that I liked about it was that it was one of those movies with an "all-star cast" with Meg Ryan, Val Kilmer, and Anthony Edwards back when they were all unknowns.

Last edited:

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
The "Death Wish" movies are just terrible. Yet, I kind of enjoyed watching the train wreck that they were.

I also like "Hudson Hawk" a lot even though it seems to be universally hated.

DNO

One Too Many
Sometimes I find films like Death Wish 3 rather depressing. I see an actor like Martin Balsam being wasted in a film like that. The man was excellent in Twelve Angry Men, Seven Days in May, A Thousand Clowns, Catch 22 and especially The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three. He really doesn't deserve to be associated with Death Wish 3.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about the Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards "Pink Panther" movies? I'm sorry, I really don't get them, maybe I'm just too young to understand the humor (or lack thereof).

Oh, and "Easy Rider." My buddy Brad said when they played it at the drive-in in rural Indiana everyone cheered at the end when they got shot.
I was also disappointed at the pink panther movies. But the first one I saw was kinda cut together from old scenes because Seller died.

Your Easy Rider story made me laugh.:D

Feraud

Bartender
Sometimes I find films like Death Wish 3 rather depressing. I see an actor like Martin Balsam being wasted in a film like that. The man was excellent in Twelve Angry Men, Seven Days in May, A Thousand Clowns, Catch 22 and especially The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three. He really doesn't deserve to be associated with Death Wish 3.
I definitely agree with your comments about Martin Balsam. A fine actor. I guess such is the plight of the character actor..

DNO

One Too Many
I definitely agree with your comments about Martin Balsam. A fine actor. I guess such is the plight of the character actor..

Too true. Some of my favourite actors are those "hey I love that guy but I don't know his name" actors. Ward Bond, C. Aubrey Smith, Aldo Ray, Jack Elam, Strother Martin, Victor McLaglen, Alan Hale, Richard Farnsworth, James Cromwell...a long list that could easily be longer.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars

So true. I thought that exact thing when I saw him. Reminded me of the great Joey Bishop in Delta Force. Love the movie, even though it is a silly shoot em up, but he deserved to be in a better film especially as his last.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Remaking movies that scream "80s" is a new low in the lack of imagination. I am a child of the 80s, and movies like that, bad or not, while seemingly having a "message" designed to transcent time, culture and so on, nevertheless, well, SCREAM 80s!

What next, Sixteen Candles redux starring Selena Gomez? Pretty in Pink with insert name of teen starlet here? And hey, since Ashton Kutcher is replacing Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men, why not have Mr. Moore appear in a remake of Platoon? Except this time, let's have the character killed off.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass