Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Talbot

One Too Many
AntonAAK said:
I'm with you both on that one. I would go further and say that is pretty much my opinion of all of Kubrick's output.

Check out Kubricks first movie, 'The Killing' (1956)

At exactly 3:45 on that Saturday afternoon in the last week of September, Marvin Unger was, perhaps, the only one among the hundred thousand people at the track who felt no thrill at the running of the fifth race. He was totally disinterested in horse racing and held a lifelong contempt for gambling. Nevertheless, he had a $5 win bet on every horse in the fifth race. He knew, of course, that this rather unique system of betting would more than likely result in a loss, but he didn't care. For after all, he thought, what would the loss of twenty or thirty dollars mean in comparison to the vast sum of money ultimately at stake.

A friend of mine will be stopping by tomorrow to drop something off for me. He's a cop.
A cop? That's a funny kind of a friend.
Well, he's a funny kind of a cop.

You like money. You've got a great big dollar sign there where most women have a heart.

Alright sister, that's a mighty pretty head you got on your shoulders. You want to keep it there or start carrying it around in your hands?
Maybe we could compromise and put it on your shoulder. I think that'd be nice, don't you?

Thank you, Randy. I was sure you'd see it my way. Take good care of yourself.
I'll take care of myself, mister. That's my specialty

filfoster

One Too Many
Caddysuck

There is a support group for the five of us in the Greater Cincinnati area who publicly admit that we don't like 'Caddyshack'. I love Bill Murray and the late Rodney Dangerfield (Are you old enough to remember his Ed Sullivan and Tonight Show routines?) but this movie is just tedious and too sophomoric for my very unrefined sense of humor. (A legacy of my childhood is a fondness for The Three Stooges, even as we can see how lame their humor and flimsy story lines were).
Oh, and It's a Wonderful Life leaves me rooting for Old Man Potter.

filfoster

One Too Many
DANGER!

Here's a real friendship killer. When my friends wax on and on about Animal House and how great John Belushi was, I just have to bite my tongue. He died way too young (as did Phil Hartman) but come on, he wiggled his eyebrows. That's about it. This opinion has cast permanent palls on some of my friendships.

IndianaWay

New in Town
Interesting thread!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who would rather stick bamboo slivers under my fingernails than watch Forrest Gump again. I would say Caddyshack was hilarious when I was 17 - but either the movie changed or I did...

That being said, I have to express my concern ;) about those who stated their disdain for sports movies. One word - "Hoosiers." Love that movie - and it did a pretty decent job of depicting rural Indiana life in the early 50's from what I hear.

I now return you to this regularly scheduled meeting of the "am I the only one" club already in progress. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
the bad:

Sandra Bullock has never, ever been in a good movie.

While she has a great body, Jennifer Aniston's face is no better looking than any random girl in a mall.

Nick Cage should be thankful for the writing in Adaptation and Raising Arizona, becuase he can't act at all.

Travolta makes Cage look like an actor's actor.

Bogart sucks, as does Olivier.

Wes Anderson has only made one good movie. The rest were just OK.

Ben Stiller should be shot.

the good:

UHF is one of the best movies ever made.

Angelina Jolie is a good actress.

I could watch George Clooney act like George Clooney in every movie he ever makes. Cool doesn't get old.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Buster Keaton's talkies didn't all stink.

The Marx Brothers' MGM pictures all did. *Including* Night At The Opera.

Harry Langdon's "Three's A Crowd" is one of the most memorable comedy features of the twenties. And not for the wrong reasons.

Ricardo Cortez was the best Sam Spade.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Buster Keaton's talkies didn't all stink.

The Marx Brothers' MGM pictures all did. *Including* Night At The Opera.

Harry Langdon's "Three's A Crowd" is one of the most memorable comedy features of the twenties. And not for the wrong reasons.

Ricardo Cortez was the best Sam Spade.

This may be another thread entirely, but now that you mention it, I really don't get the Marx Brothers, either. But here's the rub: it only applies when they are together. If I see them individually, particularly when they play an instrument, I've been known to sit there with a look of slack-jawed child-like wonderment on my face. Particularly Harpo. And Groucho gives me laugh-'til I cry fits pretty regularly.

Am I normal, Doctor?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
UHF is one of the best movies ever made.

"Spatulas? We don't need no stinkin' spatulas!" lol

lolly_loisides said:
George Lazenby was the best James Bond.

Only ... ONLY if considering Diana Rigg. She made that film. Lazenby was talented enough, but couldn't get any personality across to the viewers.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
recently shocked my Friday night beer/mead brewing group by stating that "Alien" was tediously boring. to this day it puts me to sleep.

one of the worst "trapped in the haunted house" incarnations. great cast, great design, horrible pacing.

but perhaps that's because in 1979, seeing it in the theater, i was 9 and wanted the monster to please eat the noisy lady that kept screaming and running around so that i could go home. [huh]

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I like ET. 2001 is good if you watch only the last 15 minutes.[huh]

Lawrence of Arabia I found unbelievably tedious and boring.

My personal pick for absolute trash has to be The Graduate. I sat up late one Saturday night watching that miserable abortion on TCM. I kept waiting for the plot to show up. Most miserable, pointless waste of film I've ever seen.

Chas

One Too Many
I really didn't like "Saving Private Ryan". I thought that it was a cinematic "Sgt. Rock".

I thought "The Thin Red Line" didn't get the attention or praise it deserved; but I'm not comparing them- they're as different as peas and apples.

calendargirl

New in Town
Chas said:
I really didn't like "Saving Private Ryan". I thought that it was a cinematic "Sgt. Rock".

I thought "The Thin Red Line" didn't get the attention or praise it deserved; but I'm not comparing them- they're as different as peas and apples.

Yes! I completely agree, Saving Private Ryan was the same cliche war movie, just with more money thrown at it.

When I tell people that, they look at me like I just spit on the flag. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner