Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Photoss

New in Town
After seeing yet another movie with him in it, it becomes painfully obvious that Brad Pitt has absolutely the worst fake accents ever.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
After seeing yet another movie with him in it, it becomes painfully obvious that Brad Pitt has absolutely the worst fake accents ever.

Although I dont know for sure, it seems to me that Pitt's character in IB was supposed to be completely over-the-top. The accent fit right in, imho. In turn, I can see why QT didnt cast a true southerner in the role for that very reason.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Seeing the gore doesn't make the violence any more meaningful.

Absolutely. Think of the scene in The Mummy (1932), for example, when Helen brings her dog into Ardath Bey's home. Bey's cat is seen heading to the room where the dog is being kept, and we soon hear a piercing yelp. What the cat did to the dog is never shown, but the "mental image" that one conjures up is more powerful and lasting than what a director could have shown...

Edward

Bartender
Seeing the gore doesn't make the violence any more meaningful.

...and often it makes it far less effective.

Bonjourno! :p

Although I dont know for sure, it seems to me that Pitt's character in IB was supposed to be completely over-the-top. The accent fit right in, imho. In turn, I can see why QT didnt cast a true southerner in the role for that very reason.

Agreed. The character is basically a caricature of Lee Marvin in The Dirty Dozen. I loved how Tarrantino uses absurdism in the film - I believe this (and especially the history-defying ending) is a deliberate referencing of how many liberties Holly wood has taken with the reality of WW2...

...Agreed. The character is basically a caricature of Lee Marvin in The Dirty Dozen. I loved how Tarrantino uses absurdism in the film - I believe this (and especially the history-defying ending) is a deliberate referencing of how many liberties Holly wood has taken with the reality of WW2...

That ia sort of a day late and a dollar short. Hollywood has NEVER gotten history based stories correct.:p

theinterchange

One Too Many
I can't stand all the crop of movies about zombies and vampires.

In terms of Golden Era stars, I cannot stand Humphrey Bogart [a mumbling wooden pseudo-tough guy] at all... I see nothing to hold anyone's attention with him. Lauren Bacall [ditto on Bogart's wooden quality], Irene Dunne [had to quit watching The Awful Truth within 3-4 minutes due to her personality ditto with some other film I saw her in], Gary Cooper [I seriously think Nicolas Cage is a better actor... and HE can't act], James Cagney [he's okay in small doses, I really enjoyed the film G Men]

I haven't seen and refuse to see Casablanca and Gone With The Wind.

My likes? Cary Grant [in everything I've seen but To Catch a Thief and The Philadelphia Story], Jean Arthur, Claudette Colbert, William Powell [though he's the sort of actor I typically wouldn't like], Myrna Loy, Jimmy Stewart [most of the time].

I know I'm leaving things out, and have more, but am quite frankly tired of going on about the negatives here.. haha

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
^^You refuse to see either Casablanca or Gone With the Wind?shakeshead Well, truth is stranger than fiction.:eusa_doh:

If I can't stand Bogart, why would I want to see Casablanca? [huh] The only movie I even halfway like him in is Treasure of the Sierra Madre and only then because he goes insane. :D

And Gone With The Wind doesn't appeal to me in the least. [I've seen bits of it in passing while flipping channels]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy