Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Verne did well by authors' standards of his day. He got a cut of theater adaptations--the 19th-century equivalent of optioning screenplays. According to Arthur B. Evans, the most prominent Verne scholar in the U.S. and professor of modern languages at DePauw University, Verne earned more than 50,000 francs--roughly $139,000 in today's dollars--from his share of the box office take the first year Around the World in 80 Days was performed on stage.Verne's deal with Hetzel, his shrewd publisher, was less lucrative. Until 1875, Verne earned a flat sum for each manuscript, with no royalties. For 20,000 Leagues, for instance, he got 3,000 francs, or the equivalent of roughly $8,300. After 1875 he made royalties, but they were not large--only 5% of first-edition sales.

Verne may not have been a great businessman, but he remained intrigued until the end of his life by matters financial. In his 70s, he told a journalist, "If I were young enough I would be tempted to take up the greatest set of subjects the novelist of the future will have--the fictions of business life, with the intricate intrigues … and gigantic deals.

Forbes Magazine on Verne's earnings

Finance can be a boring enough subject. If Verne wrote a novel on business it would probably put readers in a coma. :eusa_doh: :p
I could understand his works as science books. About 2/3rds of Twenty Thousand Leagues could be omitted without hurting the story one bit. Put the other 2/3rds in a science book for goodness sakes. :eusa_doh::p

cotillion

New in Town
Crash (2004) was a horribly overrated movie that offended me as a native of Los Angeles.

I did not like the Lord of the Rings movies, I fell asleep in all 3 of those movies (but then again I did not like the books either).

The Postman Always Rings Twice. I couldn't get over the fact that Lana Turner was married to that old guy. I mean come on. The lawyer was cool though.

Who cares who she was married to, it was Lana Turner!!!

I liked Swing Kids, too, and I really expected it to be awful.

I agree. I really liked Swing Kids. I actually think that is Christian Bale's best movie but I know that is a minority opinion.

Last edited:

rue

I really liked Swing Kids. I actually think that is Christian Bale's best movie but I know that is a minority opinion.

I'm one of the minority then, because I think it was his best work too. I keep waiting for him to do another movie of the era, but so far, no such luck.

Has Swingers been mentioned? I can't remember. Anyway, I loved that movie. Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn were great in that.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Crash (2004) was a horribly overrated movie that offended me as a native of Los Angeles...

I saw this in the theater and was not only bored to tears, but thought it was rife with cliches. I know the creators intended to hit stereotypes to some extent, but on the other hand, it seemed like the director was just pandering to folks who believe they're tolerant of diversity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy