Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Edward

Bartender
I just dabbled in real 30s/40s swing before this silly revival. After it, though, I was changed. Hence why I laugh when people cry about vintage being "trendy." Yes, it will attract a lot of sheep who will discard it next season, but it will also bring in people who are going to stick with it and build the vintage community!

RE: REO Speedwagon. I love them! I love Styx, too. Geez -- there's not a whole lot I DON'T like! I pride myself on my music collection/taste. I'm one of those dorks lol

I'll raise you on that: I judge other people on their music collection/taste. Part of me will never fully trust anyone who owns a Van Morrison record. I'm one of those 'dorks'. ;)

Blackjack

One Too Many
The swing revival of the 90's did a couple of good things, first bringing out a lot of classic "cocktail" music that was long forgotten. Second getting people dancing again. Most of the neo-swing bands I found were pretty bad, way more of a jump/rockabilly hybrid than actual swing but there were a few that "got it" and were pretty authentic to the genre. One was Stompy Jones out the bay area, I did like them.[video=youtube;24f2Hl7qFlw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24f2Hl7qFlw[/video]

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'll raise you on that: I judge other people on their music collection/taste. Part of me will never fully trust anyone who owns a Van Morrison record. I'm one of those 'dorks'. ;)

GOOD ONE!
I don't own anything by Van Morrison. I don't like him. My husband absolutely DESPISES him. I do have the complete New Kids On The Block discography, though. I love them.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Most of the neo-swing bands I found were pretty bad, way more of a jump/rockabilly hybrid than actual swing but there were a few that "got it" and were pretty authentic to the genre.
For every band that really got swing, there were several that were strictly for swing dancing - which is a lot more about moves than music, and doesn't have all that much to do with the dancing of the swing era.

Ironically, that emphasis on show, athleticism, and just a few basic tempos made neo-swing more popular - then assured it would burn out.

Last edited:

CharlieB

A-List Customer
GOOD ONE!
I don't own anything by Van Morrison. I don't like him. My husband absolutely DESPISES him. I do have the complete New Kids On The Block discography, though. I love them.

Not saying that some of the "Boy Bands" aren't talented, but I don't get the hype. To me, all they are is a repackaging of Motown groups (like the Tops, Temptations, Miracles, etc.) which were a repackaging of the doo-woop groups (Platters, Skyliners, etc.) which were a repackaging of the 30's harmony groups (Ink Spots, Mills Brothers, etc.). My Point? Every generation thinks they have hit upon something new, but is it really?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Not saying that some of the "Boy Bands" aren't talented, but I don't get the hype. To me, all they are is a repackaging of Motown groups (like the Tops, Temptations, Miracles, etc.) which were a repackaging of the doo-woop groups (Platters, Skyliners, etc.) which were a repackaging of the 30's harmony groups (Ink Spots, Mills Brothers, etc.). My Point? Every generation thinks they have hit upon something new, but is it really?

No one said NKOTB or any boy band was original. I certainly never thought so. Teenage girls are passionate creatures and that is why boy bands get as popular as they do. Every female teenage generation needs a "boy band", I think. :D

Blackjack

One Too Many
For every band that really got swing, there were several that were strictly for swing dancing - which is a lot more about moves than music, and doesn't have all that much to do with the dancing of the swing era.

Ironically, that emphasis on show, athleticism, and just a few basic tempos made neo-swing more popular - then assured it would burn out.

That and the fact that nobody can write original melodies anymore, not that they weren't capable ( some of them maybe) it just can't be done anymore.

Edward

Bartender
GOOD ONE!

I struggle to think of anyone in the musical world whom i loathe more - with the possible exception of [spits]Simon Cowell.[/spits] I find his music utterly without redeeming qualities, the sort of dull, aural wall paper one might expect to be the preference of those who have no genuine love of music themselves, and require the reassurance of buying into a brand they are told is 'classic'. That much is wholly subjective, I will allow. What really grates on me, however, is the total and utter contempt with which he treats his own audience. That, coupled with his general "don't you know who I am?"-type arrogant demeanour is, in my view, unforgiveable.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Probably there are lots of good songwriters around. But the way pop music is today make impossible to find this production.

The old system of songwriter/arranger/musician is long time dead (since beatles days?). As all songwriter must have good voice and play himself the composition.

And the musical result doesn't have no much importance today... First there are the videoclip, etc, etc, etc. A singer like Mildred Bailey wouldn't have any chance today. The image took off the place of sound.

That and the fact that nobody can write original melodies anymore, not that they weren't capable ( some of them maybe) it just can't be done anymore.

Edward

Bartender
The music industry now makes most of its money from back catalogue sales, with the newer material being more often than not focussed on short-term unit shifting.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another major factor in the collapse of songwriting is the death of Broadway and Hollywood as viable outlets. During the Era, they were, above all else, the engines that drove the music business -- virtually everything we consider a "standard" today came from one of those two sources, having been written first for a stage show or a movie. Those songs *had to* have broad appeal, and they had to stand up to repeat listening. Today, there are no outlets comparable to those, and music isn't written to have broad appeal -- it's written to appeal only to its specific demographic.

There will be no "standards" written in the 21st century. The Great American Songbook is closed, and we no longer have a culture that knows the difference or would care even if it did.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Just got back from shopping an antique store with speakers blasting what passes for country music these days. Sure killed the enjoyment I usually get from browsing antique stores. Can you say formulaic? Very hard to tell when one drawling song ended and another began. Unfortunately that type of music is hard to escape where I live.

I hear you there and I'm a big time country fan. But, when I say country, I mean Conway Twitty, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, etc, etc. My sister likes this music too, but also is into the new stuff. I told her one day, I'll sum it all up for you. "I am a boyband reject who put on a cowboy hat and sing about a small town or a farm and call it country music....the end."

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Another major factor in the collapse of songwriting is the death of Broadway and Hollywood as viable outlets. During the Era, they were, above all else, the engines that drove the music business -- virtually everything we consider a "standard" today came from one of those two sources, having been written first for a stage show or a movie. Those songs *had to* have broad appeal, and they had to stand up to repeat listening. Today, there are no outlets comparable to those, and music isn't written to have broad appeal -- it's written to appeal only to its specific demographic.

There will be no "standards" written in the 21st century. The Great American Songbook is closed, and we no longer have a culture that knows the difference or would care even if it did.

Very true, Lizzie. Different bands could have their own take on a standard, and no one rolled theirs eyes and said "oh no, not another remake of (insert title here)."

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, after seeing some of the recent comments, I guess I have another unpopular opinion...

Although I used to dislike the Grateful Dead, I eventually grew to like some of their material. I never could get into the cultural aspect of their music (filling myself with narcotics, quitting my job and driving from one smelly hippie hole to the next), but I did grow an appreciation for what they were doing musically. [huh]

Rundquist

A-List Customer

I agree with all of this. Today's disposable music for the most part is a reflection our disposable society. I've often joked that they should have an "American Idol" type show for songwriters. Songwriting is at the worst that I've ever seen it (and I am not a snob). It's horrible, awful, stuff.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I hear you there and I'm a big time country fan. But, when I say country, I mean Conway Twitty, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, etc, etc. My sister likes this music too, but also is into the new stuff. I told her one day, I'll sum it all up for you. "I am a boyband reject who put on a cowboy hat and sing about a small town or a farm and call it country music....the end."
Modern country is window dressing. It's the same as very bad pop music and not much more.

Maybe this belongs more in the Unpopular Movie Opinion thread but it seems that in the past they would produce a Broadway musical and then perhaps a few years later make a movie version. Now its totally the opposite. It seems that so many Broadway musicals are now based on movies and TV shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran