Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

More like 666 lol

Thank you my hero :D

The sign of the hippie. :p
superman.gif

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You know what is so sad though? When I was looking up Tip-toe through the Tulips I came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZMHJX4b9bU
I had no idea that it was a cover of a really nice song at one point. Tells you right there what that hippie generation did to songs :rolleyes:
Not that it matters a tinker's cuss at this point, but Tip-Toe Thru the Tulips was the first Hit of the Week record.
5383281018_baa5c0fb89.jpg

"HoWs" were one-sided, laminated pressings on heavy paper that sold at newsdealers' for 15c. This first disc was a giveaway piece released in February, 1930, apparently only in New York City (which makes it very rare - so rare that there is no sound file available online). It opened with a sales talk explaining the HoW idea and the laminated product, "Durium," invented at Columbia University.

Hits of the Week lasted into the summer of 1932. By then, recorded music was an extravagance at any price.

Last edited:

rue

Not that it matters a tinker's cuss at this point, but Tip-Toe Thru the Tulips was the first Hit of the Week record.
how1019.jpg

"HoWs" were one-sided, laminated pressings on heavy paper that sold at newsdealers' for 15c. This first disc went on sale in February, 1930, and opened with a sales talk explaining the HoW idea and the laminated product, "Durium," invented at Columbia University.

Hits of the Week lasted into the spring of 1932. By then, recorded music was an extravagance at any price.

It matters a 'tinker's cuss' to me Fletch. If it wasn't for you and Lizzie I would still be trying to find my way through the classics blindly :)

I play around, but it's all quite serious to me. I don't join in on your discussions, because I'm still learning and don't want to sound ridiculous.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, nothing you might chime in would be as ridiculous as me yattering on in a vacuum.

In most places today, this is shut-in knowledge, the stuff of obsessives and idiots savants. The Lounge is an exception. So anything you say is welcome.

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
If the resemblance was intentional then I have no idea why you would think there is any big deal nuance there.:rolleyes: I notice how you ignored my intentional misspelling of psychodelic nuance though. :plol I meant it as nuts----not drug induced. lol
I have given the Dung Beatles plenty of chances. They just never got anywhere with the time. All this arguing over a group that barely lasted seven years and of that only the first few years was anything even comprehensible or less than capricious at most. If they are cogent then Tiny Tim was the King of twentieth century pop groups.:rolleyes:lol lol
In all reality, you are in the Fedora Lounge after all. What did you expect a group of Golden Era enthusiasts to think of the Dung Beatles in the first place? :p We all congragate here to listen to Beatles music---riiiiiggghhht.:p;)

Did you think I meant 'nuance performance' and 'cogent lyrics'? I was only speaking about the music. The Beatles were able to write some pretty sophisticated, complex music dressed up as easily-palatable pop tunes. This was one of the great strengths of the Beach Boys, too. In fact, it's really a hallmark of all great pop music, including the revered pop figures of the Golden Era. Why do you think the popularity of jazz began to diminish during and immediately after World War II? Because bebop started to both expose the difficulty of the music and lessen its palatability (not to mention its utility as dance music). It stopped being pop music at that point.

Difficult music + easy digestibility = great pop music
Easy music + easy digestibility = not so great pop music
Difficult music + difficult digestibility = . . . not pop music?

That's a pretty weak illustration, but whatever. And it's a spectrum, too, not as cut and dry as I make it out to be above.

You also have to remember that digestibility is volatile — it's really a product of its time. That's why the greats of past eras aren't enjoyed widely today; considered as a whole, people can't break away from the tastes and preferences of their time.

rue

Honestly, nothing you might chime in would be as ridiculous as me yattering on in a vacuum.

In most places today, this is shut-in knowledge, the stuff of obsessives and idiots savants. The Lounge is an exception. So anything you say is welcome.

Awww..... thank you, but that's not true. You make a lot of sense and I've been reading up on all that has been said. As far as what I could chime in with.... well, next to all of the expertise loungers I wouldn't have the back up behind what I like to explain it. I just feel it in my soul. Does that make sense?

I do include myself in the obsessives and idiots savants though ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had no idea that it was a cover of a really nice song at one point. Tells you right there what that hippie generation did to songs :rolleyes:

The thing with Tiny Tim is that, on some level at least, he sincerely loved the popular music of the twenties and thirties -- and was trying, in his own way, to bring it to the attention of a new generation. If you listen to Nick Lucas -- who is the guitar-playing fellow in that film clip -- and then listen to Tiny, you can see that there's a bit of homage going on that goes beyond mere willful campiness.

One of the best versions of "Tiptoe" is a theatre organ solo by Jesse Crawford, recorded for Victor in 1929. The jazzerati won't have anything to do with Jesse Crawford records, but I enjoy them very much, and this particular one is especially good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran