Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Maceo!

The best of the best. Modern pop music would not be what it is were it not for the hardest working man in show business.

I used to see him a lot in the early 90's here in Berlin at the legendary Quasiomodo, a pretty small (read: tiny) jazz club near the zoo. By the mid/late 90's he increasingly opted for the bigger venues and festivals, which (to me) was the end of the story.

rue

I hate rap, all of it. And before anyone ask no I don't like independent rappers either. I've always hated rap music, since they day it started becoming popular when I was a child. And before anyone ask that includes earlier "old school" rap, and even family friendly songs like the theme song to a certain Will Smith tv show.

That may not mean much in this form, but to the culture at large it is almost a culture shock :p. It's the only kind of music that I hate more then that twangy hippie neo-folk music. For those of your who like rap, I'm happy for you, but if you ever come to my house or to a party I'm throwing it will never be played.

I understand your disdain for rap music, but this song has a special meaning to me (I found out a friend died when it was on the radio when it first came out) and it's also one of the few rap songs that I actually like:

[video=youtube;mM0-ZU8njdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0-ZU8njdo[/video]

Oh and yes, I know it's from Sting's original song :p
Normally though I totally agree with you and I promise not to play it at your house ;)

Last edited:

p71towny

Familiar Face
I can dig early rap, but really I'm kinda picky. If I'm not listening to metal/rock it has to be oldies, motown and older that is. But really it seems that after 2000, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from movies to music blows. I have to search hard to find some things that still entertain me.

eveready

Banned
I understand your disdain for rap music, but this song has a special meaning to me (I found out a friend died when it was on the radio when it first came out) and it's also one of the few rap songs that I actually like:

[video=youtube;mM0-ZU8njdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0-ZU8njdo[/video]

Oh and yes, I know it's from Sting's original song :p
Normally though I totally agree with you and I promise not to play it at your house ;)
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. But I'm also sorry to hear he/she left this realm listening to this bastardized version of a great song, when the original is far superior......in my humble opinion........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnJDaqT3-0

At least it's about a nice subject :p

Behold! Schnappi
It's not Dutch, it's German

[video=youtube;Oe3FG4EOgyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3FG4EOgyU[/video]

It also sounds a lot like this song...

Marika Rökk & Conny Froboess -- Honky Tonky Tom (1961)

[video=youtube;c3ys-nHGXds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ys-nHGXds&feature=related[/video]

From Alaska to Nebraska, everybody knows Honky Tonky Tom...

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
Now I'm going to do something beyond unpopular and verging on reprehensible - defend hip-hop.

I can't help but feel people are taking the .50 Cents, Eminems, and Lil Jons, what I call the "Top-40" rappers, and generalizing them out to all of Hip Hop, past and present. RUN DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Maestro, Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, all NOT trashy. Slick Rick -sometimes trashy, Public Enemy - Angry, but not trashy.
The Roots, Blackalicious, and Common, among many others, create songs that challenge the image/mentality that has come to be synonymous with "rap."
There are a few songs over in the "golden era songs with off-colourlyrics" thread, that would probably have modern rappers blushing - or taking notes....

Off-Topic slightly, but I don't think people realize that there ARE artists/groups in the hip hop community that do make use of live instrumentation in their work, as opposed to just beat-machines and loops.

Feels like a case of "well, what I have heard is awful, so the rest must be awful too," not that I have ever fallen into that kind of thinking or anything....*cough*

Love that!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself.
I only read the first ten pages and the last for now, but I do really dislike the Beatles, Bruce Springsteen and most old men clinging to drugs, sex, and rock'n roll. I also absolutely hate techno and dance, always have and always will. The Love Parade in Germany is my idea of hell on Earth and I feel sorry for all the wildlife and birds that are within a ten mile radius when it's on.
I do, however, love hip hop (and no, not the misogynistic kind) and dancehall.

And Rue, don't be mad, but that P.Diddy (or whatever his current name is) version you mentioned is not even remotely Hip Hop...

Drappa

One Too Many
lol ^ Well, what do I know [huh] I'm just an old lady :p
I couldn't possibly be mad at you anyway Drappa :D
Aww, you don't look a day over 30, and you're not old until you're at least 70 I say!

I will also be unpopular now, but I can't stand jazz. My husband and dad both love it, and I used to hang out in jazz cafes a lot while I was at uni, but it always just sounds like elevator music to me. I can appreciate the art form and skill, but the music does nothing for me at all and I can't wait to get away from it. I am generally not keen on saxophones (or trumpets for that matter), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:

rue

^ aww.... thank you Drappa. I love you for that :)

One song I can't stand no matter who sings it is 'Dance Ballerina Dance'. It must have been popular at one point, because it's played all the time on oldies online radio, but my Lord... it's awful.

I've been reading this thread for awhile now, agreeing and disagreeing but have thought it's all pretty subjective so why chime in on what I thought of others likes and dislikes. I have decided to make a sweeping statement that I don't like the music of anyone that's younger than me.

I know right off the bat that there's a lot of flotsam and jetsam in that but someone wrote earlier in this thread that most people's musical likes end right around High School. I don't think that's true of me but I find there's so much amazing music that was done long before I was born (late 50's) that I hadn't explored that I don't have the energy to keep up with the American Idol-ization of music as it is today.

I mean that in terms of style, presentation and influx of so many new "artists", genre's and playlists (urbanuptownhiphopindiecollegezydecofolkcountryfolkamericanarockrootselectronicatraceindustrialblablah). I couldn't keep up if I wanted to.

So I'll stick with the above but tweak it to "any music done by someone who SOUNDS younger than me.

Given all that, I never really did like Rush.

TTFN,
Steven

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One song I can't stand no matter who sings it is 'Dance Ballerina Dance'. It must have been popular at one point, because it's played all the time on oldies online radio, but my Lord... it's awful.

The quality of American songwriting began its long, sad decline right around the start of the postwar era, and that was one of the prime examples.

Speaking of postwar annoyances, I have never been able to stand Vaughn Monroe. There's just something about his whole voice and style that strikes me as unspeakably hammy, a sort of weird cross between Jerry Colonna and Vitamin Flintheart. You can't ever do a parody of Vaughn Monroe, because Vaughn Monroe himself beat you to it.

rue

Well, I'm glad you agree with me, because I trust your musical tastes. I thought maybe it was just me.

I agree with you on Vaughn Monroe. I had never heard anything more than Riders in the Sky, which I'm not a fan of, but holy moly is his other stuff bad. His voice just grates on my nerves.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I just yesterday learned the word oontz.
This sounds vaguely Pennsylvania Dutch but is actually what techno music is supposed to sound like if you repeat it rhythmically: oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz.

Isn't that interesting?

I knew you would.

Last edited:
I just yesterday learned the word oontz. This sounds vaguely Pennsylvania Dutch but is actually what techno music is supposed to sound like if you repeat it rhythmically: oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz. Isn't that interesting? I knew you would.

I have never seen this word spelled out before. A few years ago a friend had invited another friend to go to the Electric Daisy in LA. The friend could not go and handed the ticket to me so I tried to go but the lines to get in were so long that I estimated a 3 hour wait on line to get past the security and my football knees would not have taken it. So I was in the parking lot for a few hours listening to the nearest music and catching in between songs music from other stages. The oontz techno beat was prevalent and I believe that one version is called "trance." The music was like three short "musical" hooks interwoven and going on for what seemed like forever. Then at one point the nearest bandstand to the parking lot got fired up and the band was performing some type of reggae hip hop rap in rapid fire, every song sounded the same. The bass was so loud that on the first 3 notes a number of car alarms went off in the parking lot. (If it's too loud, you're too old.)

As the delightful a parade of interesting people slowly moved by in their 3 hour shuffle to the security check point to get in, the new band became overpowering and very tiresome so I left having never even gotten into the event.

The crowd seemed to be like some sort of mix between: the Golden Calf revelry Moses (Charlton Heston) returns to when carrying the 10 Commandments, the mass dance scene in the Matrix Reloaded, something from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and a Playboy Mansion Party.

I have decided to make a sweeping statement that I don't like the music of anyone that's younger than me. So I'll stick with the above but tweak it to "any music done by someone who SOUNDS younger than me. Given all that, I never really did like Rush. TTFN, Steven

I think that if one is lucky, their musical tastes change over time and expand to include other music. What I have found is that the bubble gum pop and sappy pop love / lust songs are part of the youth music. There is a teenage (now twenty to thirty-somethings) angst rock music that no longer appeals to me because it's views and values I don't share. A friend of mine and I will always comment on a good looking girl and when they are young say college age my friends says "wow she's hot I'd like to spend an evening with her." To that I usually answer, "But then you'd have to talk to her." The disparity as one gets older is that what is important changes and values may change too. So to the young the old sound old and to old the young sound trite. It carries over to music.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
The quality of American songwriting began its long, sad decline right around the start of the postwar era, and that was one of the prime examples.

Speaking of postwar annoyances, I have never been able to stand Vaughn Monroe. There's just something about his whole voice and style that strikes me as unspeakably hammy, a sort of weird cross between Jerry Colonna and Vitamin Flintheart. You can't ever do a parody of Vaughn Monroe, because Vaughn Monroe himself beat you to it.

I agree generally, but even a blind pig occasionally finds a truffle. You don't like this?

[video=youtube;rvH0tXOzNwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvH0tXOzNwc[/video]

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I can't stand Al Jolson. I don't know why, his voice just grates on my nerves!

Same with George Formby and Arthur Askey, but those two are novelty singers... so maybe their novelty is just lost on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points