Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

MissMittens

One Too Many
Ok, since this is the UNpopular thread, I guess it's ok that I am going to be very unpopular after this post :p

Genres:

50's pop. Bubblegum makes me hurl* (Pop does not include, Bing, Andy, etc...)
60's pop. Bubblegum passed as faux rebellion.
70's rock. Just drink a few brews in the back of your Chevy Van, and keep your 8 tracks to yourself.
90's rock. Let's rehash the 70's, wear bell-bottoms, and just yell instead of sing.

Bands:

Beatles. Dead to me post-Sgt Pepper.
Pearl Jam. If I wanted to wear flannel and be depressed, I'd listen to Johnny Cash.
Eagles. Should have stayed at the Hotel California. Permanently.
Aerosmith. Ugliest woman on the face of the planet.
Stones. Tied for ugliest woman on the planet.
Zeppelin. I'd rather listen to the original blues artists than all the Zep covers.
AC/DC. I hate to say this because I play with Angus and Malcolm's cousin, but anything past Back in Black sounds the same.
Bon Jovi: It was just about the hair. Men with perms.
Queen: I want to ride my bicycle.......as far away as possible.
The Who: How can you sing about a "Teenage wasteland" when you're in your 30's?

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
On the Sinatra front, I agree. In my early discovery of music I listened to a ton of Sinatra because I thought I should, because of that "aura" that went with the man and the (life)style. But then I realized that I got sick of it FAST and the soul and the depth of someone even as different as Sam Cooke (which I can listen to on repeat) just had more *meaning*. Nothing against Sinatra, and he filled a need in my obsession-with-fedoras-and-suspenders period, but vintage style and meaning just go so much deeper than the face on the cover of it all.

MissMittens

One Too Many
On the Sinatra front, I agree. In my early discovery of music I listened to a ton of Sinatra because I thought I should, because of that "aura" that went with the man and the (life)style. But then I realized that I got sick of it FAST and the soul and the depth of someone even as different as Sam Cooke (which I can listen to on repeat) just had more *meaning*. Nothing against Sinatra, and he filled a need in my obsession-with-fedoras-and-suspenders period, but vintage style and meaning just go so much deeper than the face on the cover of it all.

Sinatra COULD sing........but I agree, all the stuff he's known for is garbage. Crooning isn't really singing.
Sinatra's stuff in the 30's in the big band era was good, but he wasn't a singing great by any means. But he COULD sing, it's just that he wasn't known for his singing but his crooning :/

rue

Sam Cooke.... Now THERE is a voice. Love him :)

Edward

Bartender
On Saturday Night Live, in a sketch where Joe Piscopo "played" Sinatra, he referred to Richards as walking death...That brief epitath has never left me. Come on, the guy took a hit on his father's ashes (yes, I mean his father's cremated ashes...).

The interesting thing is they still don't know if that is true or not. He initially claimed that in an interview with the NME, then later said it was only a joke. Interesting man, though, and considerably more intellectual than he is given credit for being.

There are a couple of main big dislikes I have when it comes to music. One is old farts who are too lazy to look for anything new, and simply claim that there has been nothing new since the year X, typically some time around their own youth heydey. The only thing worse are prematurely old farts, the kind of precocious kids who insist there has been nothing decent recorded since some several years before their own birth.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
There are a couple of main big dislikes I have when it comes to music. One is old farts who are too lazy to look for anything new, and simply claim that there has been nothing new since the year X, typically some time around their own youth heydey. The only thing worse are prematurely old farts, the kind of precocious kids who insist there has been nothing decent recorded since some several years before their own birth.

I can agree with that. I was a music director at our local radio station for several years and, even though I had to listen to tons of bad music, there is still good music being made. Even though my musical tastes lie mostly in the 20's and 30's, it always gets my goat when someone like R. Crumb claims no good music was made after 1925. There's a world of good music out there, you just have to seek it out.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Hey... I halfway resemble that remark ;)

I'm with Rue.....halfway resemble that. But, I like and play a lot of contemporary stuff that's currenltly "underground" although I'd argue that if every kid between 15-25 knows it, then it's "mainstream". It's stuff they don't play on the radio, like Aiden, Panic at the Disco....

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I can agree with that. I was a music director at our local radio station for several years and, even though I had to listen to tons of bad music, there is still good music being made. Even though my musical tastes lie mostly in the 20's and 30's, it always gets my goat when someone like R. Crumb claims no good music was made after 1925. There's a world of good music out there, you just have to seek it out.

Exactly, or no good novels/movies/automobiles/etc. were made after a given year. While it is possible that some things haven't improved since a certain time (violins since Antonio Stradivari and his family?), such comments usually just reveal the intransigence of the person who makes them.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Ruth Etting, for I absolutely cannot stand her thin voice and her music interpretation.

And Lee Morse, although I am a fan, must admit she could often be quite horrible. Her interpretations of standards were quite odd at times, as she had a tendency to draw out every single word almost like she was talking as well as exagerrate the pronounciation of words ending in the letter "T" for example. Also, on top of that was the constant yodeling and whooping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic