Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unseen In The Worse Places [Blackjacks & Saps]

carter

I'll Lock Up
These weighted page holders from the Shottist look like a good alternative for those living in a place where blackjacks, saps, and brass knuckles may be illegal.

page%20holders.jpg
pageholders2.jpg

http://www.shottist.com/saps.htm

Jay

Practically Family
Pretty neat stuff, GranadaGuy. I've read about blackjacks and saps in numerous detective stories, but I don't think I've seen one before. While they are beautiful in their own way, I don't think I'd carry one. A roll of dimes is a good substitute, since they can't bust you for carrying currency.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well to bring back this old thread I thought I would let you guys know the source for these items are now soley left to collectors and South Ord. saps are still available from one brother, and the other has stopped making coshes, I bought the last 5 he made.The second from the left is made with a steel cable instead of a spring. It acts like a slungshot.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDAtMjAxMDA1MDYtMTE0N.jpg

Also on the wire, there is a guy head of knuckledusterbook.com who makes coin jacks for those interested. There is also these awesome vintage police catalogue posters he is selling on his site...

320255913v3_480x480_Front.jpg

320251165v5_480x480_Front.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
black, jack

There's a great scene in Mulholland Falls where Nick Nolte shows how it's done with a sap, unfortunately it's a crime to carry anything like that here, as I found out when the cops took one off me made out of the brass strap holder from a tram...but that's another story from long ago....

Of course, there is no law precluding you from carrying a $10 roll of quarters and a spare pair of socks... never know when you'll need change for a vending machine, and some of us need (REALLY need--as in "foot odor on the WMD level":eek: ) to change socks halfway through the day.;)

Just don't keep 'em preassembled--which then means you gotta keep eyes-up to see the bad guys inbound to put it all together.

This discussion is completely theoretical and should not be construed as advice for defense, offense or anything else--but keeping an eye out is always a good idea, no matter who or where you are or what the situation is, right?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This is a bit of a stretch but...

When my dad was a little kid (c. 1922) having been transplanted from the big city of Detroit to the (then) swamps (Hwy, 441 was two dirt ruts) of Orlando, Florida, he initially got bullied by the local southern boys.

So, on about the third day as he got ready to walk to school, he left with his metal lunch box empty. Then, as soon as he got a chance he packed it full of hard green oranges from a nearby grove.

WHAM!

He went without lunch that day but he also went without getting picked on from that point forward. :D

Bustercat

A-List Customer
That is a great story. I do miss those metal lunchboxes, I'd like to think they kept kids a little more polite than today.

Yeah, knucks, saps etc. are illegal alot of places. Seems pretty quaint legislation now.
Anyone remember the story of the would be developer of Chicago's Dixie Square (the mall they used for the chase scene in the Blues Brothers, that's been standing vacant since '85?)
He was sent up for threatening an investor with a pair of brass knucks. Still there, I believe. Probably for other things too, by now.

Parabellum

New in Town
At least two people have mentioned the 'roll of quarters in a sock' trick as a means to bypass current misdemeanor or felony laws on concealed weapons. If going that route, I would opt toward using D-cell batteries or even bars of soap inside a thick sock (with the end tied off).

If you are not concerned about the law - or have a concealed carry permit - although not retro fashionable, I highly recommend the ASP baton. I carry mine in a horizontal holster that fits a regular dress belt.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Excellent thread! Black Jacks,Flat Saps,Billy Clubs,Night Sticks,Batons,PR-24s or ASPs...truncheons are brutal and effective.

I have the larger size flat sap with the integral strap handle in an understated basic black(so it matches a gentleman`s attire). My "slapper" is the full sized one and measures 11in. from end to end.I believe the "operative" weight is 14oz.Very illegal to carry on your person or have in your vehicle...to be sure.I`m pretty sure that for us Californians it is even against the law to own/possess one. Oops! Just my weighted page holder,kids. :) Got mine mailorder back in the 1980s.

Flat saps are a bit more versitile than black jacks or billy clubs,IMO,because you can employ them in the traditional whipping/smacking blow that strikes with the flat profile of the sap-- or you can use a downward club-like delivery using the bitter edge of the sap`s striking end. The leather is so compacted and tightly stitched together along the flat sap`s edge and feels as hard as iron. Edge blows from a "slapper" could easily cause permanant damage including and up to death. Nasty.

When I worked for the CHP (briefly,support staff),I was informed that a.) these truncheon weapons are a felony and b.) that you may as well carry a pistol illegally since both are punished equally severe.
:eek: Doesn`t make sense,does it?

HMH

p.s. Link to site that sells/ships truncheon weapons: http://www.weapons-universe.com/
You read/agree to the company`s DISCLAIMER ergo assuming responsibility for your purchase and/or for any ignorance of the law. :)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seeing a slap jack in action ...

My Dad was a school principal, and our house was on the school grounds. The high school building was on one side, the elementary building on the other, and the gym behind. As a kid in the late real early 1960's, I can remember hearing a commotion outside the house one night after a ballgame. Looking out our dining room window I saw one of our local Sheriff's Deputies using a slap jack on a drunk.

You really had to know the Deputy for the full effect of this story. He was a very small man, but had a temper (and "cussed like a sailor"). I can still see and hear the scene as if it just happened. The Deputy was sitting on top of a really big man who was obviously drunk. The Deputy would whap the drunk with the slap jack and say, "now, cuss me again, you S.O.B." then whap, whap to the head with the slap jack.

Yep, it sure made an impression on me.

Mav

A-List Customer
There is no need for a fancy blackjack if you have a scrap piece of rigid electrical conduit at hand. It has flex, so it's like a short, thick aluminum whip. And it will break a collarbone, easily. Especially since drunks always expect a strike to the head. The same goes for pool cues, although they're better for a strike to the 'nads. Drunks who take offense at a friendly game of 8 ball especially expect a headstrike, but are shocked and offended at a nadstrike..
But everyone appreciates a surprise. Well, ""appreciate" might be too strong a term.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unfortunately, I've lost my sap over years of moving. I think you can still purchase saps, blackjacks and brass knuckles at local gun shows, too.

shortbow

Practically Family
As a reader not a fighter, thanks for bringing this thread back up. Imna gonna make me one of those page holders. Looks like a very easy build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points