Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unseen In The Worse Places [Blackjacks & Saps]

Paul Gomez

New in Town
The thread concerning shoulder holsters got me thinking about blackjack and saps. In times past, the blackjack or sap was as common a 'pocket implement' as a jackknife, among certain social circles. :cool2:

Does anyone know of current sources for traditional blackjacks, saps or brass knucks?

aliados

One of the Regulars
I just joined this post, and, apparently, judging form the "where do I get . . ." questions, there's no one here from Chi or NY! Blackjacks and brass knuckles used ot be common in many Chinatown (NY) shops, and, while down in Orlando, FL a couple of months ago, I found them -- and switchblades -- in every flea market.

Some of the on-line knife stores have "paperwight" or "belt buckle" brass knuckles, as does eBay, but a good, OLD FASHIONED blackjack is hard to find! I shoulda bought the 1890s San Fransico Police blackjack I came across in an antique store in Connecticut!

Charlie

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ya and you'll get the slam in Liberal Kalifonia, Arnold

Paul Gomez said:
The thread concerning shoulder holsters got me thinking about blackjack and saps. In times past, the blackjack or sap was as common a 'pocket implement' as a jackknife, among certain social circles. :cool2:

Does anyone know of current sources for traditional blackjacks, saps or brass knucks?

Possession of any of those items, in California, constitute a FELONY.
Of course, if you are a licensed collector, or historical film maker.......

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Brody...

Back in the 80s my Dept. still let us carry saps and blackjacks. I never liked the little things, not enough reach for me. Like my "Pale Rider" friend Clint once said...."Nothing beats a good peice of Hickory."

shamus

Suspended
I believe they are illegal to carry. That being said, I did find a great blackjack in a thrift store display case for $5.00. At first I didn't believe it was just sitting there, then once my brain made the connection to what it actually was, I was five dollars short.

matei

One Too Many
How about a roll of coins?

I once knew a fella in NY that would use a roll of nickles. He'd put it in his fist and suprise the bejaysus out of bruisers much larger then him when he'd connect.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well

If there is still any interest in these I have a very reliable and reputable source for both blackjacks and saps that are of unmatched quality and very affordable for being well under a C-note. Each one is made entirely by hand, either ready-made or by custom requests.

Blackjacks - An impact weapon with a molded lead head of varying oz that is molded directly onto a coiled spring and then wrapped in leather by either braid or stitch.

Saps - Impact weapon of a flat nature with either lead shot or a molded chunk of lead also in varying oz, in the head wrapped in leather with not spring. Also called a slapper.

But the 2 names are synonymous.

There are groups of collectors of enthusiasts who sell, buy and trade these weapons. They have become highly collectible in recent years because of their craftsmanship, notoriety, and nostalgia.

They are made by 2 Brothers in NC, one makes Blackjacks and one makes saps. They come in lots of flavors.

Here are some examples of their blackjacks -

ScottsBlackjacks.jpg

oxjack.jpg

And some of their saps -

salesewnjack.jpg

set04.jpg

EDIT : I do not have any monetary interest in this company. I can only vouch for their quality because I have seen them in person.

You can also find them on - Southord.com - Can't vouch for their quality they look good tho come in 2 flavors, 8 oz and 14 oz.

http://www.shottist.com/saps.htm

Geesie

Practically Family
Andykev said:
Possession of any of those items, in California, constitute a FELONY.

Someone needs to start a National Knife and Club Association. It's pretty absurd that you can carry a pistol but not a knife or brass knuckles.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I might make a pair of weighted gloves at some point. I can't use brass knuckles, my hands are too small and it'd just hurt.

My younger sister hit me with our dad's sap once when we were kids. I was pretty mad at the time.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
Here's a photo of my early San Francisco blackjack, c.1900. It's solid brass, nickel plated - a real killer. From the amount of plating that's worn off, this baby has seen some use.

Blackjack.JPG

That is absolutely beautiful Warbaby if she could tell stories.... You can see my blackjack in the picture above, its the 2nd from left the russet looking one next to the white one. It was modeled after the Bucheimer Convoy, but it doesn't weigh as much the head is about 9oz with the total weight being about 10oz. I was surprised how well made it is.

Viola: I can't use them either, most people cant without breaking their hands, the brits made the best knuckledusters, they actually out thought into how they fit and felt. If you do make the gloves use bird shot it makes for a wider dispersal pattern, it hurts the user less, and does a good enough job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner