Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressed down , the trend in the 21st century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Joey...

I said what I said and I'm sticking to it. Not everyone is fit for military service, emotionally or physically. Todays Armed Forces have a higher standard for enlistment than they did 20 or thirty years ago. Take the Marines for instance, when I enlisted in 1980 they would accept virtually anyone who could walk, even people with criminal records and no HS diploma.
Now you have to have a diploma and no criminal record, you can't even get in if you have a GED.

I know some kids, Joe. Maybe not as many as you. It takes an exceptional kid to even want to enter military service. Maybe you think everyone is exceptional in their own very special way. Or that there is different levels of exceptionality. In your world does everyone get a trophy just for showing up to the game?

shamus

Suspended
I'm not sure about that military requirements of late... Seems that they might be going back to the 80's as you mentioned because nobody is signing up. I know they lowered the levels of intellegence to join and raised the age limit.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I don't even think the style of the clothing is so much of an issue as the amount of skin exposed and the air of being unkempt, or even downright dirty.
I interview a lot of people for public contact jobs and I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who come in with dirty nails, dirty clothes, unshaven and with acres and acres of exposed flesh.
I don't recall reading of any time in history when all of these attributes were considered attractive, but the young people who see me for jobs show up this way and seem to think they really have it goin' on!
Even during the Great Depression, people tried to keep their clothes clean and neat, as well as practicing personal hygiene.

Bebop

Practically Family
Biltmore Bob said:
It was also a way to change you life around for the better.
It certainly was for me. I believe that a draft would change alot of lives for the better. There are certain things you learn in the military that can't be learned anywhere else. Anyone that has been in the military has one over on those that have not. Of course this is coming from someone that has not seen combat. Being in combat would probably make me see the military with yet another twist. I am speaking of the dicipline, tolerance and not having it your way all the time. I think that is what there may be too much of in parts of society.

shamus

Suspended
Getting back to the original idea here. What is it our business if some rich guy wants to have his kids painted like a gap commercial?

The rich guy gets his painting the way he wants it. The artist gets paid to paint, like he likes it and everyone involved is happy for that moment.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Joseph Casazza said:
Hmm, I thought we were talking about portraits of children in casual attire or surroundings, not portraits of children dressed as slobs. And unless those portraits are being displayed in a gallery or on a billboard or in some other public way, I think they are private, not public, and so not really anybody's business to critique outside of those closest to the family. If an acquaintance shows you a picture of his or her child that you disapprove of because the child is in blue jeans, I think the gentlemanly thing to do is make some noncommital soothing sound and move on.

I haven't read anything here that would lead me to believe that any of the members would do anything less than the gentlemanly (or gentlewomanly) thing.

Although this is a public forum it is operated under the presumption of being a part of a private lounge. As such, it is natural for discussions to embody a multitude of topics, both public and private. I assure you that if a member of the Lounge were to seek an opinion of a portrait of their children I would respond with tact and civility.

Although it is true that being well dressed is (sadly) no guarantee against unethical, immoral or plain boorish behavior I still stand behind what I wrote before. If you will pardon me now, I'll step aside to pour myself a drink at the bar. :beer:

Roger

A-List Customer
No skin off my back

If someone wants to blow a couple grand having his kids covered in oil and hung from the wall that's his business. If he wants them to look like they just mowed the lawn when hanging on the wall, then that's his money. que sera sera. :cheers1:

Yes, too many people are on "casual" day mode. I ignore any and all Casual Friday's. It is not only self disrespectful, but disrespectful to the company, the product and the customer. :cool2:

Being proper covers all aspects of one's day; from the condition of the domicile, the automobile and clothes. It doesn't make sense to expend $700 on a hat, $900 on a suit and $600 on shoes while driving a "parts" vehicle or living in a run down house with pealing paint and worn floors. People need to take pride in their entire selves. In the same sense, it doesn't make sense to run the plastic card up to the point where no bankruptcy lawyer will spend 15 minutes on one's case. :cheers1:

The most important aspects are respectfullness and courtesy to others and self pride. :cool2:
:

It's 1:30 a.m. EST and I just got in. I was around and about my formerly great Gotham. All I can say, again, is P.U. I find people offensive. I find their demeanor offensive. I find their dress offensive. Denim with pin stripe RL jackets and open collared shirts that look like they were bought at K-Mart but were probably $200 down in Soho. Ugly. Hideous. I look at them and think "how can they not know?" Do these people have mirrors in their flats? Do they not see themselves in windows? I'm revolted, nauseated. I'd appreciate Dickensien ragamuffins more because they at least would have a 'look'. Every minority has a right not to be offended. Except for the intelligent and the mannered. Everyone has a right to offend us. If only we had equal rights laws based on those ideals. I can't stand looking at them any more. I can't stand looking at middle aged guy in blazer and GAP baseball hat. I want to throw up. And it's not from the booze. I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow, I'll be sick again.

Cheers and kind regards,

Senator Jack

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Let's teach them!

We should sponsor or create a new show similar to "What Not to Wear," or "Queer Eye..." that teaches people how to dress in a timeless, classic, stylish, and classy manner. That's one potential way to get the word out to millions. I need another cup of coffee this morning before I can think of a snappy title.

Brad

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I had that idea last year. In fact, Daniel was going to help me shoot a pilot to send to the Style Network. It would be a sort of makeover show where you take them and help them put together a "vintage inspired" look, and in the show you would have a "fashion overview" so to speak, of basic period fashion or an element of period style, including what to look for and what to stay away from. We had a snappy title at one time, but I don't remember it.

shamus

Suspended
You could actually a groupf of gay men and call it the Gay 20's, or Fab 40's.

Of course a show like that would cost about 150K+ per episode...

Bebop

Practically Family
Seeing how the guys on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" dress, and how they make the straight guys dress, I think a show called "Straight Eye for the Queer Guy" should be made. They should show staight guys "toughening up" a gay mans "closet". It's one thing to keep someone from dressing like a slob or having a disaster for a home but making them dress whacky with anything goes type of style as they do is another. I can't believe none of those straight guys has ever refused to wear the fashionless clothing these guys provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy