Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic (flightjacket.com) A2 fit.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I had an A-2 from USA, in goat. I normally wear a 50T. I ordered a 46T and it was snug, but the arm length was spot on. The sleeves were a little tight though. Now I don't have Popeye forearms, but they are muscular. I also have a 48R in a USA russet HH that fits really well. For reference, I am 6'2" with a 38 waist and 49" chest. If I was down to my ideal weight, the 46T would probably be a near perfect fit.

kowalski

Practically Family
12038204610745142806.jpg

My favourite authentic fit picture.:)
are not it tailored jackets, (as representatives of fashion on the catwalk ;) ) Are loose and wide
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Juanito

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a US Authentic russet horsehide A-2 size 44 from eBay.

It is a well constructed jacket with heavy horsehide, perhaps not technically correct, but as far as sizing--the thing is huge! US Authentic's claim to be true of size is not an understatement. I have dozens of A-2s ranging from originals to the gamut of repro manufacturers and none are as large as this. I could cut off the cuffs and waistband to emulate an Indiana Jones Jacket, and the thing would still be far too big. I wear a suit size 42 and a size 44-46 in original and Good Wear/Eastman repro A-2s, and the US Authentic 44 is probably closer to a 48, maybe even a 50 in those sizes! I did run across and buy 42 US Authentic and it is closer, but still large.

While, there may be some qualms as far as dead on authenticity, there is no denying that it it is a solid, quality jacket that is probably manufactured to higher standards than original A-2s but at the same time 1/3 the price of a Good Wear, and half the price of a Lost Worlds Dubow.

kowalski

Practically Family
hi Juanito
it very similar description of ebay, it yours ??
;)
....One U.S. Authentic, russet horsehide, A-2 jacket, size 44: Excellent condition, barely worn, from a non-smoking home, no funny smells or aromas, just leather. There are stitch marks from insignia removed from the chest and shoulders, but if anything it gives the jacket are certain credibility or patina. All of the Flying Tiger patches come with it, and they are of a very high quality overall, two of them being felt backet with "bullion."

I purchased this jacket here on eBay. I wear a perfect size 42 in a suit, with original and most reproduction size 44 A-2s (Good Wear, Eastman, Diamond Dave, Lost Words Dubow, Avirex, Willis & Geiger, etc, etc.) fitting perfectly, so I though the US Authentic would be the same--nope. When US Authentic says they fit true to size, they are not kidding. This is a tent in the shoulders for me and is excessively long. Please pay particular attention to the shoulder width below.

The funny thing is that that I bought this on a whim, just to see what the US Authentic jacket was like. I am unbelievable surprised at the quality, both of the hide and the jacket itself. The hide is nearly on par with the Lost Worlds horsehide--very heavy and dense, with a nearly impremeable finish. The stitching is good and consistent, although the seams are a little wider than an original A-2. The collar sand is a little wider than tyical, but the total collar height is standard. Nickle plated Talon zipper.

The jacket has the contract number of the WWII Perry A-2 and roughly follows the Perry pattern with the stand collar, the box stitched pocket reinforcement, nipple snaps, and pocket flap design. No it is no where near a perfect copy (I have three original Perrys to compare it to), but it is a good rendition aside from the rather roomy arms (the original Perrys are much narrower).

In any case, I bought a size 42 US Authentic and it fits me far better, using it for an everyday kick around jacket. No, it is not on par with a $1,500 Good Wear A-2 or an Eastman, but it is pretty comparable to a Lost Words A-2 in terms of leather and finish, and far superior to any Avirex, Cockpit, Protech, Bradley, etc.A-2. A very high quality jacket, with a couple of modern liberties taken in design. This is a roomy jacket....

Banzai

Familiar Face
I'm starting to think that maybe US-A's consistency is a bit all over the place. I thought it was true to size, but for my 37" chest the size 36 was a touch difficult to drive in. (Felt like it was grabbing my upper arms and shoulders and pulling when I reached forward. Conversely, the 38 I purchased came in bigger than what Shaul cited for me in e-mail. It works, but it is a bit roomy. He tapered down the sides for me though.

US-A's rep on this board seems to have been, for the longest time, to be very trim in their fit. A search will reveal almost no one accusing them of having "roomy" jackets. So I wonder what's up? Perhaps the pattern has changed, or it is simply inconsistency. Shaul's operation is, from what I hear, basically a small cottage-industry.

As far as roomy jackets, I asked G&B for the specs on their 36S A-2. According to their measurement chart, that is exactly the size I need, and also happens to be the bottom of their size scale.

The G&B 36S has 19" shoulders (almost an inch wider than US-A 38), a 48" chest (US-A is just under 44"), and a 44" waist, stretched (US-A was almost 44" before i had mine reduced).

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Again, thanks for all your suggestions and imput guys.
I think I will stay away from US-A. They seem to have a great quality product but their sizing appears to be a bit confusing. I am going to go with Aerial Star and their slash pocketed A2. Chris finally responded to my emails and has been very helpful in assisting me with my selection. He also offers the 3 monthly payment arrangements to Australia which I like as it seems like he is confident in, and stands by his product. I now jusyt have the age old decission to make between Russet and Seal??? Chris is sending me some swatches which should assist.

thanks again

GP

Banzai

Familiar Face
If you can wear a "standard" size, and you want to hassle with shipping, you can keep trying on and exchanging, I suppose. But, if it's too long (invariably it probably will be) then you have to order custom. And custom is non-returnable/non-exchangeable/etc. So, if you try on a 38 and it fits, but order a custom 38 and it comes out different in width from the jacket you tried on, well...

For me, there was something just "off" about the 36 for my 37" chest. With my arms at my sides it was perfect. But raising arms up or forward was highly constrictive across back, shoulders, and on my upper arm through to the elbow. I could never figure out what was "off" with the pattern, since, theoretically, the measurements checked out as they should.

I definitely didn't think it was roomy anywhere.

When I went with a 38, initially it was voluminous around the midsection, but the shoulders and arms felt right, finally. Shaul tapered the bottom down for me though, so I suppose now it's like a 38 up top and a 36 on the bottom.

That's pretty outstanding customer service for this pricepoint though.

I probably would have gone with G&B at some point, but at 5'6", 140, and a 37" chest, I'm off the bottom of their charts. Technically, I measure out exactly for a 36S, but when I asked for the actual measurements of that jacket from G&B, that would be a tent-like fit. I'd need a 34 at least, if they made one. G&Bs 36 is bigger than my US-A 38 in every single dimension except the length.

I don't really know why in this thread US-A is suddenly becoming a "big" fit brand, unless a) the pattern changed, or b) the QC is really just all over the place.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think I will stay away from US-A. They seem to have a great quality product but their sizing appears to be a bit confusing. I am going to go with Aerial Star and their slash pocketed A2. Chris finally responded to my emails and has been very helpful in assisting me with my selection. He also offers the 3 monthly payment arrangements to Australia which I like as it seems like he is confident in, and stands by his product. I now jusyt have the age old decission to make between Russet and Seal??? Chris is sending me some swatches which should assist.

thanks again

GP

I'd opt for seal. I ordered russet, which I'm happy with, but it's a very pronounced russet. Beautiful leather though.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
hi Juanito
it very similar description of ebay, it yours ??
;)

Indeed, that's the one. Great jacket for the price, if it fits. Very well made, even if a little off on true accuracy; then again is is just a little more than 10% of the cost of a Goodwear and less than 20% the cost of a new Lost Worlds Dubow, which has a very similar leather.

Juanito

One of the Regulars

thanks again

GP
I would not stay away, particularly if you are looking for a low cost jacket that I am certain would outlast all others, save for the LW Dubow. I talked to them when I was deciding on getting the 42, and they claimed they did not charge shipping on exchanges of stock jackets. That's why I took the risk on the fit. Fortunately the 42 was as good an any issue jacket.

Also...I have an original Rough Wear A-2 shell. The russet color of the US Authentic is dead on the same as the places that have seen no light and experienced no wear or exposure to light, i.e.: interior sleeve seam, shoulder seam, etc. The color is another of its strong points. There is literally no difference.

Last edited:

Banzai

Familiar Face
I own a Saddlery (Neil Cooper) A-2 from the first "re-issue" contract in the mid-80s. It's a size 38, same as my US Authentic. I was just comparing the two jackets, and the cut and pattern is REMARKABLY similar.

I also have a sample of "vintage goat" from US Authentic that is remarkably similar to the goat on that old Cooper.

Given the geographic region, I'm starting to wonder if Mr. Shaul Dover had any connections to Mr. Neil Cooper...

If you look at vintage pics like above, you'll see that if those guys had on modern-cut pants, the jackets would be short.
I've kinda grown an affinity for a shorter A-2 now, and it's actually easier to move around in.

Dunno - wear what you like. Those cats in WWII got what they got in line. At best, they traded with each other to find a better fit. All of our jackets are 10x nicer than theirs were, so enjoy, put it on, and go out with a smile...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own a Saddlery (Neil Cooper) A-2 from the first "re-issue" contract in the mid-80s. It's a size 38, same as my US Authentic. I was just comparing the two jackets, and the cut and pattern is REMARKABLY similar.

I also have a sample of "vintage goat" from US Authentic that is remarkably similar to the goat on that old Cooper.

Given the geographic region, I'm starting to wonder if Mr. Shaul Dover had any connections to Mr. Neil Cooper...

Cooper has very different lining and knits to USA. I think later Coopers were made by Schott who now make a range of US Wings jackets. Why not show us a side by side?

Banzai

Familiar Face
Lining and knits are way different, but the cut of the jacket - the leather shell - is remarkably similar.

I'll get a side by side picture later.

I think I figured out the fit issue I had though. It's the back panel. Both jackets taper down a lot from the wide point under the armpit to the narrow part of the back panel at the shoulder blades. The 36 was around 20" pit to pit, but not quite 16" at the seam between the shoulder blades. Near 18" shoulders. The 38 is almost 22" pit to pit, but less than 18" at the seam between the shoulder blades. Near 19" shoulders.

The Cooper has the same pit-to-pit, but the back panel at the shoulder blades doesn't cut in so narrowly.

Effectively, the 36 was perfect in the lower torso, but tight in shoulders and back. The 38 has good measurements for the shoulders and back of a 36, but is blousy through the lower torso.

Good thing Shaul does custom work.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you look at vintage pics like above, you'll see that if those guys had on modern-cut pants, the jackets would be short.
I've kinda grown an affinity for a shorter A-2 now, and it's actually easier to move around in.

Dunno - wear what you like. Those cats in WWII got what they got in line. At best, they traded with each other to find a better fit. All of our jackets are 10x nicer than theirs were, so enjoy, put it on, and go out with a smile...

I'm way less particular about fit (though I have my moments) than when I was maybe a year ago. Sometimes it's easy to get sucked into the "perfect fit syndrome". But I've been a lot happier just accepting imperfection on some of my jackets. It's kind of liberating in a way. If it's a tad large, or too short here or there, I believe it's possible that initial doubts or irritations in some instances can in fact be erased by time, as a person's taste can change. Mind you, this applies more to second hand jackets or jackets that cost less than $1k. But I suppose it could apply to those ones as well. Oddly, older or cheap jackets that don't fit perfectly don't seem to be as fussy.

That's the one possible negative about this place. You lose your virgin sense of "that fits" when in reality it might be off. I'd still be walking around in a size 46 Cockpit HH A-2 if I hadn't joined. And happy! The public doesn't know the difference! I received plenty of compliments on that one! (I'm really a 40)...

Last edited:

Juanito

One of the Regulars
I think I figured out the fit issue I had though. It's the back panel. Both jackets taper down a lot from the wide point under the armpit to the narrow part of the back panel at the shoulder blades. The 36 was around 20" pit to pit, but not quite 16" at the seam between the shoulder blades. Near 18" shoulders. The 38 is almost 22" pit to pit, but less than 18" at the seam between the shoulder blades. Near 19" shoulders.

I would tend to agree. given the raw dimensions of the US Authentic size 44 jacket I have/had, it should have been close. The largest departure from other similarly sized jackets is the shoulder measurement which impacts total arm length at the wrist and how the jacket drapes over the shoulders affecting length. It probably would be fine it I had some 1980's shoulder pads!

I has a similar experience with a Good Wear Monarch, size 46, the first Good Wear I ever owned. Beautiful jacket with all the "right" dimensions, except for the very wide shoulders that let it "slide off" my shoulders. The funny thing is that I have a number of size 46 Good Wear jackets; Rough Wear, USL, Werber and "No Name" Knopf jacket that fit me near perfectly.

You just never know...

Banzai

Familiar Face
Wise words indeed.

Since I was being a bit convoluted in my analysis of my US-A jacket fits, I'll summarize in another way;

The 36 was like a nicely comfortable 36 (not baggy, but room to move around) from the armpit down. But small through the shoulders and back.

The 38 is (was) a baggy fit from the armpit down, but through the shoulders and back what I would expect of a size 36 jacket.

I think the issue with US-A's pattern is the armhole. If my 38 kept the same shoulder and back dimensions, but the armhole started about an inch up the curve under the arm, it would be absolutely perfect. A slender 38, with a lower portion that fits just right. But, alas.

Banzai

Familiar Face
Of course, all that being said, I have a jacket now that I'm very happy with. The ONLY gripe I have is the length of the wrist knits; 4 inches!

Once the weather gets past jacket season, I may send it back to have shorter knits done, but for right now I'm just going to enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters