Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic (flightjacket.com) A2 fit.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Historically precise is great but nobody needed a pocket for an iPhone or an iPad in World War II and they didn't have car keys with giant electronic beeping abominations on them. A lot of people back then added their own pockets and modified jackets any way they needed rather than elevating the jacket to a demigod status.

To be fair, I don't think there are any real options in buying an A-2 other than US Authentic, because he's about the only maker that will do any customizing or modifications to suit the customer. US A will do map pockets, different linings, concealed carry pockets, exterior or interior pen pockets, etc, he'd probably do panels for aerogel or ballistic armor if you like, or anything else the customer wants. Most other makers, regardless of price point, seem to just make a specific design, and if they are willing to do anything different, all they'll do is a custom size or maybe one hidden interior pocket. The jacket will belong to the customer, it should suit the customer's needs and personal preferences, and it will be worn by the customer rather than someone who died 50 years ago.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Historically precise is great but nobody needed a pocket for an iPhone or an iPad in World War II and they didn't have car keys with giant electronic beeping abominations on them. A lot of people back then added their own pockets and modified jackets any way they needed rather than elevating the jacket to a demigod status.

To be fair, I don't think there are any real options in buying an A-2 other than US Authentic, because he's about the only maker that will do any customizing or modifications to suit the customer. US A will do map pockets, different linings, concealed carry pockets, exterior or interior pen pockets, etc, he'd probably do panels for aerogel or ballistic armor if you like, or anything else the customer wants. Most other makers, regardless of price point, seem to just make a specific design, and if they are willing to do anything different, all they'll do is a custom size or maybe one hidden interior pocket. The jacket will belong to the customer, it should suit the customer's needs and personal preferences, and it will be worn by the customer rather than someone who died 50 years ago.

To be fair I'd add Bill Kelso to the list of makers willing to be creative. They always seemed open to modifications. Remember that camo frogskin lining for that A-2 they helped track down? It was never discussed much here, but I believe they're pretty open to modifications as well. Another price point, I realize, but you could probably do something nice with their House A-2.

And Johnson Leathers will do nearly anything , but their A-2 isn't as accurate.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
To be fair I'd add Bill Kelso to the list of makers willing to be creative. They always seemed open to modifications. Remember that camo frogskin lining for that A-2 they helped track down? It was never discussed much here, but I believe they're pretty open to modifications as well. Another price point, I realize, but you could probably do something nice with their House A-2.

And Johnson Leathers will do nearly anything , but their A-2 isn't as accurate.

I didn't know that Kelso does custom modifications. The beautiful thing about leather though is that you can modify just about anything you don't like as long as you can find someone who knows how to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred