Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Route 20

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here is a link for the Route 20 Association. It was established to help preserve the heritage, and develop tourism, on the old US Route 20. Rt 20 runs from New England, through New York State, and clear across the country to Oregon, more than 3,000 miles.
The old US routes predate the InterState Highway system by many decades. Route 66 is probably the most famous of them. They were not purpose built super highways, but existing 2 lane roads that were incorporated into an interstate system. Rather than going around the cities they connected, they passed right down the main drags of the cities and towns they linked.
The US routes have been sort of bypassed by history, but they can be highways of adventure. In their heyday, they had all sorts of small businesses along them that catered to travellers. They were mom and pop operations, all very individualized, not like the modern homegenized restaurant and hotel chains of today. They varied GREATLY in quality.
Is anyone aware of any other similar US route preservation associations? I know the Rt 66 still has a lot of interest, any others?
http://www.nyroute20.com/index.asp

lostinthe50's

New in Town
I know that US 40 has lots to offer. I live about 10 miles from it and I will take it to most places I want to go.... I'm not a big interstate driver...I would rather take a little longer and see the sights and not deal with all the crazy drivers out on the interstate. There are many beautiful towns along US 40 and many of them boast great thrift shops and vintage shops. Also the Madonna of the frontier statues (12 in total), are along this great highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran