Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Wings Indy Jacket - Legend in Antique Lambskin

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#30LGND

I have my eye on the US Wings Indy Jacket - Legend Model in Antique Lambskin. To be honest, before TFL, I wouldn't even have recognized an Indy jacket - I just remember the hat and the bullwhip, but I do like the look quite a bit and $195 is a good price for an everyday wear. I realize this isn't a heavy-duty jacket, but I have a few of those already and the Legend model seems to fit a bit slimmer which is how I like them.

Any input on this jacket? I did search around on this site, but desire some direct opinions on the US Wings antique lambskin. The jacket is available in steerhide for the same price.

Legend is slimmer than Hero. US Made are slimmer than foreign made models.
Go to Club Obi Wan for mucho info on all the Indy gear. I had a Hero and it was true to larger than my size. I think Legend in antique will run pretty much true to size or maybe slightly smaller. The jackets are a great buy for the price. Most are very happy with them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd say it's a good solid bit of lambskin that will age well. Not as robust as a goat or cow version but remember the actual Raiders film jacket was made of lambskin too.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I've got the Made in USA version in goat. That is a really good jacket. I've always had a problem with my A2 elastic waistband when I'm carrying a hip holster. The straight hem of this jacket, and the action back, conceals my sidearm nicely. For me, the jacket was sized just right for a light layer underneath, I can move my arms, and reach for the handlebars. FYI, I weigh in at about 210 lbs, and my chest measures 50". An XL fit perfect.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I've been in this forum long enough to know a good number of guys are thinking, "This isn't Aero Quality(tm)," but for ONE TENTH THE PRICE, it's something to be considered if it fits in your budget.

It also looks like they're trying to clear out their imported jackets and replacing them with Made in the USA ones. Kudos to that!

Chintzy leather:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/zinkandr/WEST30LGNDS_DETAIL.jpg

Personally, I'm not a fan of the antique lambskin, at least as it's pictured. The "ultra-lightweight" leather looks cheap to me, and I'd much prefer the striated lambskin. I question whether the lightweight leather will wear well and develop a nice patina, or if it'll just look worn out. The steerhide, on the other hand, looks decent!

Thicker, "striated" Leather:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/zinkandr/LGNDSLfront_DETAIL.jpg

As far as the styling, I especially like the back flap. It looks good, and you won't have to worry about the puffy-back problem you sometimes see with A-2s.

Steerhide, showing back of jacket:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/zinkandr/WESTLGNDback_DETAIL.jpg

If you decide to pull the trigger, please keep us updated, and post lots of pictures!

(Sorry about posting links instead of pictures, but I wasn't able to insert pictures from PhotoBucket or upload the pictures from my Mac. Not sure what the problem is there!)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Joe,
Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you about the steerhide. I've been looking the 2 jackets over quite a bit and have really begun to appreciate the grain of the steerhide. The jacket certainly isn't in the same league as Aero, but that is exactly why I am considering it. It would be a beater jacket that I could wear at anytime and not worry about.

I'm actually leaning against buying the jacket and it isn't because of any quality issues. While I'm new to leather jackets, I have picked up several nice ones since joining TFL. In addition, I've found myself grabbing my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser more than any of my leather jackets. That Cruiser is a great jacket. Maybe I should look for a FQHH Cruiser?

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
(Sorry about posting links instead of pictures, but I wasn't able to insert pictures from PhotoBucket or upload the pictures from my Mac. Not sure what the problem is there!)

Here you go.

WEST30LGNDS_DETAIL.jpg

LGNDSLfront_DETAIL.jpg

WESTLGNDback_DETAIL.jpg

Last edited:
Steer is one of the nicest and toughest hides, without being stiff. I have a USWings "A2" in antique steer and I love it. I got it as a beater too, but I ended up liking it more and more. You can't go wrong with most of their jackets for the price - esp in the $295/$195 sales. A good bargain to me if you want a new jacket at an affordable price.

Fifty150

One Too Many
At first, getting an Indiana Jones style jacket was really more of a novelty. But as I wore it, I started to like it. I really like the range of motion with the action back, and the straps on the side that I can tighten to prevent wind from blowing up. I wish there were snaps to hold the collar down, but then it wouldn't be an accurate reproduction. It would be great if there were more inside pockets too, but who knows how many inside pockets Indiana Jones had. Was that even a consideration back then?

racontour

New in Town
http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#30LGND

I have my eye on the US Wings Indy Jacket - Legend Model in Antique Lambskin. To be honest, before TFL, I wouldn't even have recognized an Indy jacket - I just remember the hat and the bullwhip, but I do like the look quite a bit and $195 is a good price for an everyday wear. I realize this isn't a heavy-duty jacket, but I have a few of those already and the Legend model seems to fit a bit slimmer which is how I like them.

Any input on this jacket? I did search around on this site, but desire some direct opinions on the US Wings antique lambskin. The jacket is available in steerhide for the same price.
If you want a good tough jacket that is light always get goat. It is the leather worn by USAF and USN/USMC pilots and aviators. It is MIL SPEC.
If you want a reasonable cost but tough and durable get Cowhide or Bison (buffalo). Cowhide is good but Bison is way more durable.
Horse hide is the top of the pyramid and preferred material by leather ware customers but it os very pricey with a jacket hovering near $1000 . Horse also is stiff . Just like the Lost World's Inc. Owner said : you have to wear the Horse hide jacket everyday no matter if it's sunny, raining, or snowing. You must break it in and teach it who is the boss, by wearing it everyday. Then it will become comfortable and supple and flexible.
The quote is taken from memory but take the time to go to the website so you get informed. Lost Worlds are expensive and are bought by the serious leather ware clients.
There are other websites to explore but he (Lost Worlds Inc owner) describes the leathers quite well.

https://www.lostworldsinc.com/

But with US WINGS talk to customer service as Wings say the jacket is made of Bison but the listed description says striated lambskin (wimpy). Have them (US Wings) update their website so the material of jacket is accurately described as either Bison or lamb, or what ever.
Then Wings gets a focused customer who will not be confused but will buy their product.

Another excellent seller who describes how leathers were selected by the military is US AUTHENTIC.

https://www.flightjacket.com/a2-jacket.html

In wiki i did a search for acme depot. They went through an exhaustive explanation of ww2 pilot jackets .
https://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^
You do realize that you are replying to ancient threads as if they were created yesterday?
And every time you mention Lostworld?
Do you have a hidden agenda?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24