Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey guys. So I've done a lot of research on N-3B's. I actually just got my hands on a nice 1969 one with wool insulation. My question is, is the fur coyote or wolf? I've heard both and I cannot find any info on which ones have wolf and which are coyote. Thanks
I have a 1970 Skyline with Coyote fur. I would think Coyote would be more readily available as most states have no limits on Coyote hunting season.

If you would post a picture, that might be helpful.

Vaughn2867

New in Town
It hasn't arrived yet but here are the seller's photos.
IMG_2981.png

I have

I have a 1970 Skyline with Coyote fur. I would think Coyote would be more readily available as most states have no limits on Coyote hunting season.

If you would post a picture, that might be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2982.png
    IMG_2982.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2983.png
    IMG_2983.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 60

Peacoat

Bartender
It looks like a Coyote ruff.

For me, the important thing is, not whether it is Wolf or Coyote, but rather what shape the ruff is in. The ruff is the most delicate part of the parka and is susceptible to moth damage.

Yours is also a Skyline parka with the 100% wool insulation. Skyline was a quality manufacturer. I prefer the wool interlining to the polyester interlining. I think the polyester was probably a cost saving measure. But then I am partial to the natural fabrics. My favorite cold weather coats have wool or down insulation.

Vaughn2867

New in Town
It looks like a Coyote ruff.

For me, the important thing is, not whether it is Wolf or Coyote, but rather what shape the ruff is in. The ruff is the most delicate part of the parka and is susceptible to moth damage.

Yours is also a Skyline parka with the 100% wool insulation. Skyline was a quality manufacturer. I prefer the wool interlining to the polyester interlining. I think the polyester was probably a cost saving measure. But then I am partial to the natural fabrics. My favorite cold weather coats have wool or down insulation.
I have to agree with you. I'm very anti-plastic clothing. I find it unhealthy and frankly ugly. I'm a big proponent of natural materials. That's why this item really struck with me. How would you recommend taking care of the fur?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have to agree with you. I'm very anti-plastic clothing. I find it unhealthy and frankly ugly. I'm a big proponent of natural materials. That's why this item really struck with me. How would you recommend taking care of the fur?
This coat is, as one of our members, Fifty150, has said, is old technology. But it is warm technology and still has its place in our never ending quest to keep warm in very cold weather. I used it to good advantage during the recent deep freeze when we had lows near zero ° F and highs in the single digits and low double digits.

On cold NFL game days, I wear my Canada Goose down filled parka. It is lighter and easier to move around in. In my experiment I found both to be equally warm. But the CG is much more expensive.

Jc112

New in Town
Hi all, I’m looking at buying a southern athletic or skyline N-3b in small, does anyone know, if the lining between the hood and the fur is stiff - will that soften up with some wear, is there anything that can done to soften that lining? Otherwise it seems to make the whole hood a bit stiff.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi all, I’m looking at buying a southern athletic or skyline N-3b in small, does anyone know, if the lining between the hood and the fur is stiff - will that soften up with some wear, is there anything that can done to soften that lining? Otherwise it seems to make the whole hood a bit stiff.
I have a 1970 Skyline, and the hood isn't stiff; it is soft and broken in.

Eidolon7

New in Town
Hi Everyone,
I have a couple quick questions: Have an N-3B the label (see photo) and need to know 1) the date it was issued (reads "jacket, aircrew, heavy attached hood, type n-3b" which puts it before 1960 i think somewhere between MIL-J-6279A-MIL-J-6279E but there is no MIL-J-6279X number so not sure.) and 2) the label also has "Inspector" so no sure what this means as well, any clue? and 3) any info on "Southern Aviation" as a legit producer of usaf military parkas. I am familiar with "Southern Athletic" N-3b parkas. Oh, the parka has "crown zippers" coyote fur and Air Force stamp on arm as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• SouthernAviation.jpeg
    SouthernAviation.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 30

beepboobbeepwakawaka

New in Town
What I'm curious about is that the DSA number of N3B that I have was DSA100-1129, which is different from the example shown, and the year of manufacture was not shown. Is there any way to check the year of manufacture other than DSA?

I have a total of 2 N3Bs and one is the same one in the picture and the other is Lancer's N3B.

Other than DSA, the difference I feel from the beginning is in the part of the hat. I think it's different that it contains something that shapes the hat, not the presence or absence of a coyotepper. If you know anything, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.
The FSN (I don't know if this is the correct name) number cannot be inquired.

I eagerly await the sharing of your knowledge.
KakaoTalk_20240419_183258328.jpg
KakaoTalk_20240419_183258754.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner