Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAuthentic A2 question about a detail

Technonut

Practically Family
Yes, this is an example of the A2 ww2 epaulets which rolled towards the front

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310977057027?rmvSB=true

Interesting... The absence of a maker's label leads me to consider that it may be one of the many 'private purchase' jackets worn during the war. I cannot readily ID a specific maker / contract by looking at the pics, but it could well be a mistake which made it's way past the government inspectors....

EDIT: Looking closely as possible at pics of the lining, I do not see any of the smaller 'AN' inspection stamps. There is a 'Hap Arnold' stamp present however, which shows it may be an issued jacket.. As for the label, it was a common practice of returning servicemen to remove the maker's label due to the 'Property Of The Air Force, U.S. Army' or 'government property' present on them.

EDIT: Regarding the label, the outline of the old label looks to be larger than any issued contract I've seen, and has an addition on the bottom the same width as the upper label.. Can't recall any issued contracts like that either, although I could be mistaken.. *edit* Perhaps I may have seen one, but can't recall what maker it was ATM..

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Interesting... The absence of a maker's label leads me to consider that it may be one of the many 'private purchase' jackets worn during the war. I cannot readily ID a specific maker / contract by looking at the pics, but it could well be a mistake which made it's way past the government inspectors....

EDIT: Looking closely as possible at pics of the lining, I do not see any of the smaller 'AN' inspection stamps. There is a 'Hap Arnold' stamp present however, which shows it may be an issued jacket.. As for the label, it was a common practice of returning servicemen to remove the maker's label due to the 'Property Of The Air Force, U.S. Army' or 'government property' present on them.

EDIT: Regarding the label, the outline of the old label looks to be larger than any issued contract I've seen, and has an addition on the bottom the same width as the upper label.. Can't recall any issued contracts like that either, although I could be mistaken.. *edit* Perhaps I may have seen one, but can't recall what maker it was ATM..

I noticed label / way of sewing / this in BK , Buzz and RealMcC ;
http://route44.jp/?pid=66213609
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-life-sendai/item/10015644/

http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.php?p=productview&prod=16

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-REAL-M...713014?hash=item3d55932a36:g:uZwAAOSwtDdaVcL4

I noticed that Collar snap not have lining.
it may be a trace to solve the puzzle only some have done it

And

oryginal label Dubow /pics from LW/

Attachments

• DubowLabel052704-1.jpg
    DubowLabel052704-1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
I knew I saw a label like that before... J. A. Dubow. :) Quite possible the jacket is indeed an issued Dubow. I wonder if that entire contract sports sloped epaulets, and Lost World's pattern is correct? I haven't seen enough of that specific original contract to know, and JC doesn't carry them. The only things which are strange is the absence of an 'AN' inspector's stamp in the vicinity of the label outline, and the snaps not being covered in the lining. It appears to be the incorrect type of snap to have been covered, and original to the jacket.. The other Dubow contracts had covered snaps in the lining..

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
This A-2 does appear to be more correct than not for J. A. Dubow's 23379 contract, and based only on photographic examination, I believe it is genuine from this contract. The fact there are certain inconsistencies vis-a-vis most examples observed from this contract is noteworthy but not definitive: collar snaps lacking cloth backing, supplemental label stitching being more narrow, Talon zipper, and leather hanger in neck being larger and placed much higher up than typically seen. This has some signs of being a refurbished jacket used post WWII (the tar-like ink used on the lining stamp and the fact the unit insignia is positively not WWII era), where even the original leather hanger may have been missing and replaced.

I am aware of this seller over the years and I cannot say that he partakes in acts of forgery, but he certainly has demonstrated high levels of ignorance, in my opinion. Better and additional photos would be needed or hands-on examination to opine further, but this is very likely a vintage A-2 from the contract I noted. The most troublesome thing I see is that the name tag and squadron insignia appear to be sewn with the same thread, indicating they were done at the same time (well after WWII), yet the name tag reflects more age. Other A-2's from this seller over the years have had insignia on them that was obviously added after the fact, so the insignia stands out as the most questionable feature on this A-2. Hands-on viewing with a return option is a must.

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
there is another strange detail which I noticed, it seam on the collar.Should not it be on the other side outside?

HPA Rep

Vendor
there is another strange detail which I noticed, it seam on the collar.Should not it be on the other side outside?

I also noticed this feature, and while it is contrary to the spec. for an A-2 jacket, it was certainly done in original production by several contractors, and possibly many or even all contractors along the way. It was done to conserve leather and save money, and due to the number of A-2's I've seen assembled this way, it surely had to have been a practice approved by the AAF, possibly stemming from a single contractor's query at one point in time that grew to an overall acceptance, or it may have resulted from specific known or expected shortages of leather and directed from such high authority as the War Production Board. The leather was government property and even scraps had to meet certain requirements before they could be disposed of.

kowalski

Practically Family
I'm glad you are taking part in the discussion, HPA, Technonut ..;)
I found other jacket, it is Perry sportswear it have collar snaps lacking cloth backing

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/...ct_Code=afuh20004lwn-CON&Category_Code=03afuh

give pics on pulpit and enlarge / zoom ;)

Thus collar snaps lacking cloth backing in USAuth it seems to be correct:cool:
I think, that S. Dover chose different variants, makers Perry ww2 and he sews A2 . maybe.

It example Perry and other , in which epoulets slightly go forward ;

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/...t_Code=z99afuh90255psw-CON&Category_Code=03AF
visibly here ;
http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/..._Code=z99afuh90374bs-CON&Category_Code=03afuh

I know, I'm boring but I'm interested in it and I like to explore the topic:cool:
thank you for your patience;)

Attachments

• a2junie8thpilotjacktop.jpg
    a2junie8thpilotjacktop.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 299
  • a2junie8thpilotjackinside.jpg
    a2junie8thpilotjackinside.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

stevepow

New in Town
I would leave the jacket as is and just wear it in. I have a US A, an Aero Bronco, an ELC "generic", and a Gibson Barnes MK31 (goat skin). They all are different, have their pros and cons (if I'm being picky), and I wear them all on rotation depending mostly on the weather. The US A is quite heavy compared to the others and is better on colder days so it has seen more action lately! The leather looks almost "painted" unlike the Aero and ELC which look more natural. I like the look of the US A though and having looked at so many variations of originals and repros, the epaulets don't bother me - nothing does really - I think it is a nice jacket and a great value. I can't imagine messing around with it and potentially messing it up - just wear and enjoy. No one but an "A2 Nerd" is going to notice any peculiarities.

kowalski

Practically Family
I decided,sorry.jacket will be narrowed, sleeves and cuff will be shortened,and sleeves narrowed it this will result in a greater range of movements, the jacket will not rise up when raising your hands
the hook in collar stand will also be replaced.
I have measurements from original Perry ww2 .size 42 and the jacket USauth will be adapted to them according to them
pictures in week;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24