Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a Fountain Pen

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well the pen I have now is pretty bottom of the line, I think. It's a Parker Latitude, I got it for about $50 at Staples. It's about all I can afford though, and I love it. :rolleyes:

I've been looking at some different ink online, Noodlers and different Parker inks mainly. I just really like the labels on the Noodlers ink bottles mainly, very artistic. But as the above poster mentioned, it looks like Noodlers takes longer to dry, so, may not be what I'm looking for. I've tried searching specifically for quick drying ink, but no luck. I'll check out the Private Reserve also. I haven't ever used bottled ink, only cartridges. I'm definitely wanting to take the plunge.

I'll have to figure out how to use my converter, but it doesn't look like rocket science. I ink the bottled ink is all part of the vintage charm. I like the idea of having a few various colored ink bottles strewn about my desk.

Any more suggestions on quick drying ink?

pgoat

One Too Many
I think a smaller flow of ink will help as there is less to create a mess on the page - perhaps having a finer nib or the nib set more closely together.

I've not experimented much with different inks. I basically adjust my expectations of ink drying with a fountain pen and watch out around water.....

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
pgoat said:
I think a smaller flow of ink will help as there is less to create a mess on the page - perhaps having a finer nib or the nib set more closely together.

I've not experimented much with different inks. I basically adjust my expectations of ink drying with a fountain pen and watch out around water.....

I was thinking of trying a fine nib, but wouldn't that give me a less heavy line? I know that's what I need, less ink and all, but I like the thickness of the line. I may look into getting a fine nib anyway, as it wouldn't hurt to swap mine out and at least try it out.

Thanks for the forums Miss Neecerie, I'll check those out.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I was thinking of trying a fine nib, but wouldn't that give me a less heavy line? I know that's what I need, less ink and all, but I like the thickness of the line. I may look into getting a fine nib anyway, as it wouldn't hurt to swap mine out and at least try it out.

Thanks for the forums Miss Neecerie, I'll check those out.

Nods...a finer nib will help.....but i was assuming -same- pen for now...scenario...there are inks that will -minimize- the smearing.

Normally I would list a few, but I just dont have time right now.....but if you drop me a PM to remind me..I can go through things.

But FPN has tons of reviews of colors and brands...with pictures.

tonypaj

Practically Family
One thing that I thought of at the office today, signing stuff, writing stuff... It may have been mentioned, but be sure that you keep your hand "underneath" the text, the pen works better for me that way. And the lines "above" have more time to dry. Works fine that way for me with all kinds of paper...

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Gimpy Hand

I think my hand position when I write is a problem. I sort of turn my hand in towards myself when I write. So my hand does brush against the previously written lines. I just need to train myself to write differently, and that will be hard. If I had a camera, I'd take pictures of how I set my hand when I write, unfortunately I lost my camera in a robbery a few months ago and haven't been able to replace it yet.

I tried holding the pen higher up when I was toying around today, and it did seem to help. I'm going to check out the Fountain Pen Network for those ink reviews. Thanks Miss Neecerie for the heads up, if I have any questions I know who to PM. lol

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful in my fountain pen illiteracy.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I think my hand position when I write is a problem. I sort of turn my hand in towards myself when I write. .

That's exactly what I thought it might be. Glad to hear you're figuring it out and sticking with it. It's worth the effort, if only to be a weirdo. lol

pgoat

One Too Many
I'd definitely look into those drier inks if you like the broader line. I'd be interested in checking them out as well.

Remember too, that your hand pressure can affect the breadth of the line with a fntn pen.

NonEntity

Suspended
I have a Sterling silver with 14k gold trim Parker fountain pen my aunt gave me in 1970. Since I was only 11 then, it went in a drawer until I rediscovered it when I was about your age and began to write regularly with it. So, I've been in your situation and remember some of the same problems, but I've enjoyed using that pen for almost 25 years now.

It appears you've narrowed the main cause of the smearing down to the position of your hand when you write. That's the toughest nut to crack, as you're going to have to basically learn a whole new way of writing. Consider taking a course in calligraphy both to avoid smearing and learning how to get the most out of a fountain pen.

However, I would revisit some previously mentioned items that may be contributing causes:

First, press the nib very lightly. Since a fountain pen feels similar to a pencil on the page, the tendency is to press as hard as you would a pencil. Provided the pen is in proper working order and the nib twisted to the correct angle, this is not necessary and may actually be damaging the nib. You need press only very lightly; any harder, and the volume of ink will be too much and smear. A fine nib imparts the smallest amount of ink on the page and so will smear the least, so go with a fine nib, even extra fine.

Second, the ink. Use the Parker Quink permanent ink cartridges. I've tried every other brand out there, but have found this works best in my Parker, and think it probably will in yours, as well. Quink dries very fast; in fact, if you don't use the pen almost every day, the aromatic in Quink will quickly evaporate right out of the pen and leave it "high and dry." Then it's a major undertaking to clean out the dried residue and get the pen flowing freely again. In the process, ink will get on your fingers, but when Parker says it's permanent, they mean permanent, and it will not come out, period.

Third, the paper. As mentioned, part rag paper is the very best and drinks up ink super-fast, but that would surely be cost prohibitive. However, some of the cheapest paper absorbs ink pretty well, but you just have to experiment until you find which one is best. One thing to look for is sheen, or, should I say, the lack thereof. It's actually clay that's applied to the surface of paper in varying formulations and degrees that imparts how much sheen it has. The clay serves as a barrier to the more absorbant wood-based material below and causes ink to bead up on the surface, thereby increasing the potential for smearing. Look for a flat matte finish and a relatively rough texture for your paper. Think old-fashioned kids' construction paper.

Fourth, wind and temperature affect smearing. The higher the wind, the faster it will evaporate the aromatics from the ink; the warmer the ink and paper is, the quicker the ink will absorb. A small desk fan would help, and/or writing in direct sun or under a hot desk lamp.

Hope some of this helps.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks for all the tips, NonEntity. I'll check out the Quink cartridges. I actually didn't realize it came in cartridges. Though now I'm a little intimidated by all the possibly trouble you mention that comes with not using the pen often enough. I guess I'll just have to vigilantly use my pen. I doubt that'll be a problem.

I'm also going to pick up a fine nib, even if only just to experiment. I'm also going to pick up some bottled ink to play with, mainly because I've never used bottled ink, and my pen did include a converter to use with it. As I said before, I also like the idea of a lot of different bottles of ink to pick from. Should I only use one type of ink with my converter, and get different ones to use with different colors? Or is switching out ink fine as long as I clean the pen thoroughly? Maybe I just need a few more pens... :rolleyes:

I've been browsing through the Fountain Pen Network boards, and there is really a lot of great information to find on them! If you haven't checked them out, you should.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Use the same converter - clean the pen & converter - empty the ink (some say back into the original bottle's fine, others say down the drain - I've never had a problem putting "used" ink back in the bottle) from the converter, then use the converter to run some water in and out of the pen through the converter until the water's completely clear. Then into the next color - I do the same fill, unfill a couple times so any water that was left in the converter & pen now is in the bottle so the ink in the pen isn't diluted by the water.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
I do the same fill, unfill a couple times so any water that was left in the converter & pen now is in the bottle so the ink in the pen isn't diluted by the water.

Wouldn't that get water into your bottle of ink? After cleaning with water, you fill it with ink then unfill back into the bottle? Just wondering if that's what you meant.

Thanks! I never even thought of just putting ink back into the bottle. One definite advantage of using the converter.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Oh...

I forgot to mention one factor that may or may not be important. I'm not writing in cursive, I print.

*dodges projectiles*

Does anyone else do this? Is it possible to print neatly with a fountain pen?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I forgot to mention one factor that may or may not be important. I'm not writing in cursive, I print.

*dodges projectiles*

Does anyone else do this? Is it possible to print neatly with a fountain pen?

My penmanship sucks rocks right out loud. I have coped by printing since I was allowed to do so in high school.

After picking up a fountain pen about a year ago, I have practiced (relearned) cursive, but it is so dreadfully unattractive I just gave up.

I've always admired really stylish, elegant handwriting. I've just never been able to do it.

Mark

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Phew..

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've known people who print and it looks very nice, but I guess I just don't have the patience. I start writing and I can't help but break out into scrawling. My hand starts racing with my mind I suppose.

D

DeaconKC

I'm glad that I'm not the only only one. One of my High School teachers accused me of dipping spiders in ink and letting them crawl across the page..........:eusa_doh:

Staredge

One of the Regulars
I tend to print so fast that it runs together like cursive. Works better IMHO because you don't break the flow of ink.

You know, y'all can get practice sheets and practice your cursive. (alert: teacher mode!!!!) I've seen copies of the old handwriting manuals in antique stores.

Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot