Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a Fountain Pen

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I looked for an existing thread on this topic, but I didn't find anything. If there is one, please direct me.

I acquired a Parker Latitude fountain pen a few months ago. It's my first fountain pen, I've never even touched one before this. Of course, it was my beloved Fedora Lounge that got me interested in fountain pens. I really love the style of it. It's got kind of a brushed steel finish, nice ink flow, and a great shape. It's no Mont Blanc, but I like it.

However...

I am having the hardest time writing with the darn thing. The ink comes out smoothly, it writes a nice line, and my penmanship aside, the words come out looking fine. My problem is smudging! It seems like every line I end up smudging a few spots. I realize my main problem is likely my choice of paper. I usually write on yellow legal pads. I do have some nice stationery to use for other purposes, but I'd like to be able to use my pen on "regular" paper without it looking like a mechanic's rag.

I try raising my hand up, or positioning it in different ways, but I still end up with smudges. I've been trying to get this right for months! I'm apprehensive to sit and write a letter for fear I'll get half way through it and smudge the words and have to start over. Yes, I'm a neat freak. I was hoping I'd be able to figure it out without having to run to the Lounge asking for advice on how to write of all things, yet, here I am. A desperate man. How can I make what I write with my pen look as nice as the pen itself? Does anyone have some advice, or maybe a helpful link?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
What kind of smudging? Is it bleeding into the paper and spreading out? I had a bit of a problem with ink spidering, I changed the brand of paper I was using and switched to a different ink and it works fine. I was using Cross ink, but switched to Parker.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I work with the Frenchies, and man, especially with the older generations, these guys know how to write, especially with a fountain pen. I guess that if you spend years and years with a teacher literally banging your head if you make mistakes, you will learn how to write without blotches... :)

I use a Cross fountain pen (wife's from RI, Cross pens are easy presents), never had a major problem with them, blotching or otherwise. I guess here again practice makes not perfect but permanent, hopefully someone can come up with some more practical comments...

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Are you left-handed? Figured you would have mentioned it but I thought I should ask. If you are, you're going to have to learn to hold your hand off of the paper, or write to where your hand doesn't drag across the letters. Ink takes a few seconds to dry, so right or left you have to give it a bit to dry. (blow on it if you need it quickly, or find an old blotter)

Otherwise, I use mine all the time on cheap notepads. THe shinier the paper, the more problem I have with it smearing because it doesn't soak in as fast. I haven't had much of a problem with it smearing due to capillary action (bleeding through the paper).

Tony-I loved Cross for many years, They're the only really nice pens I have.....love affair may be over. Looks like they've moved their manufacturing to China:rage: :eusa_doh: :( E-mailed them to ask if any of their lines were still made here, but haven't gotten a response (in about a week). Love their customer service.

Will

dman

New in Town
I started using Rhodia paper for my fountain pen (a Lamy Safari). It's french, very smooth, and bright orange. I get them at an architect supply store but they are available around the internet. However, I find with good paper ink will still smudge if it's not dry and your hand runs over it. Are you a lefty?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
If you are talking about actual smudging, where your hand is touching your writing and pulling the ink across the page, there are a couple of possibilities.

The first thing I thought of, like Staredge, was that you might be left handed. My husband is, and has a bear of a time not smearing anything he writes with a fountain pen. If you are left handed, it's just going to be hard. Staredge is also right, you are going to have to learn to write with your hand off the page which is darned difficult. A blotter will help some too.

If you aren't left handed, then the problem is probably either the ink or the paper. Either the paper doesn't absorb the ink fast enough, or the ink doesn't like to be absorbed and sits on the surface too long. I'd start by experimenting with paper first. It's easier and cheaper to do. Try writing on some random paper from around your house. If the ink soaks in better on other papers, then switching your notepad type may do the trick. If you are still having trouble with various papers, it's probably the ink. Try a new one.
Either way, a blotter (you know the semi-circled things you saw people roll over signatures in old movies..?) would help some.

Good luck!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Right-handed

I'm not left handed, so I guess in this respect that's a good thing. I'm using the Parker ink cartridges, so I don't think it's an issue with the ink itself. The problem isn't that the ink is bleeding into the paper and spreading, it's my hand brushing across what I've written. I guess the ink just isn't drying fast enough. I guess I should just write slower and blow on what I write as I go. lol The problem is, these are usually quick notes I am taking while on the phone, so, I'm going to have to look into new paper I think. I don't really have the problem when I write in my Moleskine, but Moleskines are few and far between around here, so I don't use it very much.

Even though I'm right handed, I'm sure the main problem is my hand brushing across the previous lines I've written. I write a few lines, then look up and see smudges, and I have ink on the side of my hand, below my pinkie. It makes me sad. I tried to write a nice Valentine's Day letter for my significant other, and it was a mess. I just ended up using a regular pen. It happened with my Christmas cards too. I tried doing the first couple with the fountain pen and they got messed up. I'm just trying to make this a practical to use pen, because I absolutely love it. It's got so much style. I will try some different papers and techniques, as suggested. Does anyone know some medium size notepads that have quality paper? I'm looking for something I can find at Staples, Wal Mart, etc. I can't really justify spending money to order paper online and have it shipped. I go through a lot of these legal pads.

Thanks for the advice!

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Are you holding the pen very close to the nib? (Are your fingers curled up tight?) I've never had a problem with this, and I use a couple of different pens. Looking at your answer again, do you (and this is hard to explain) write left-handed with your right hand? I do. I have to have anything I sign at a 90 degree angle to me. Same way a left-handed person does, but opposite. Maybe you need to work on changing the angle of your notepad.

There are some higher quality pads out there. Can you use white ones? I've noticed some decent quality paper at work, but not yellow.

Will

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yes I can use white pads of paper. The yellow isn't that big of a deal to me. I do hold the pen pretty close to the nib, and I do have the paper at a bit of an angle when I write, but not 90 degrees. I'm thinking maybe you're on to something though. Maybe if I position the paper just right my hand won't brush against the previously written lines.

Who would have thought I'd be learning to write at age 25?

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Some never learn lol

Fountain pens are great. I love them. They do have a bit of a learning curve though. Never let anyone borrow it. The nib will wear in over time, to the way you hold it. I notice mine gets a little scratchy sometimes and I need to reposition it just a little.

The left/right handed thing is more about where your hand is, than where the paper is. Take a look at HOW you drag your hand through the ink, and that will tell you what to change.

Will

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all,

I use my twenty-five year old Mont Blanc everyday - that's a quarter of a century. It certainly is the paper at issue here. Most inexpensive papers are not manufactured with thin fountain pen ink in mind and absorbtion and drying is the problem. Use of a cheap ball-point or pencil is the intention and purpose of those kinds of paper.

So we all run into that 'smudge' problem on occasion when just making notes or quick lists on a tablet, envelope or posty. On the other hand, when I write on good quality rag content paper for letters and such, the ink adheres, absorbs and drys quite quickly. I use Parker Quink and have for decades.

I've found that fountain pens and ink being what they are, the occasional smudge, smear and drop are part of the charm. Practice makes perfect, but expect the occasional blemish as inevitable. That especially goes with filling cartridges!... I always end up with blue fingertips!

And another thing!... don't touch what you've written with your hand til it's dry!! ;)

-dixon cannon

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks for the great tips everyone. I hope I won't be one of the ones who never learn! I really like my pen! lol

When shopping for paper to use with my fountain pen, are there terms or anything I need to be looking for? Specific grades of paper or anything? I do go through a lot of paper, so, I'll be looking for bulk packs of notepads. I suppose if I buy enough in bulk I can justify the cost of ordering online.

univibe88

One Too Many
I use my Montblanc fountain pen on cheap legal pads every day and don't have a problem with smudging. You said you are getting smudging when your hand slides across previously written lines. That sounds like a long time for ink to remain wet. By the time I get done with a line and start on the next, the previously line is dry so my hand doesn't smudge it.

It could be a case of the paper, but notepad paper is generally pretty absorbant. I think that you should try a different brand of ink. It could also be that your pen is simply writing to wet, ie putting out too much ink. This could be solved by changing inks or adjusting the nib.

If you have a pen shop near you, go in and have a chat with them.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
You said you are getting smudging when your hand slides across previously written lines. That sounds like a long time for ink to remain wet. By the time I get done with a line and start on the next, the previously line is dry so my hand doesn't smudge it.

Maybe I just need to slow down. lol

Right now I'm using the Parker ink cartridges (It's a Parker pen). The pen did come with converter so I can use bottled ink. I may try the above mentioned Quink. I think the nib is OK, the ink flow doesn't seem to be a problem.

Unfortunately, there isn't a pen shop within hundreds of miles, I'd guess.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Paper quality is definitely a major factor. I use legal pads fairly often at work, and a fountain pen all the time. I've found that the full size legal pads work fine, but we have some small (5x7?) pads that we use for quick or short notes that will smudge (slightly) even 10 minutes after writing. They just don't let the ink dry. [huh]

For ink, I always recommend Noodler's Ink. Not only is it available in a very large number of colors and shades, but most of them are permanent. If you're not using a permanent ink, be careful about using a fountain pen for anything that could be vulnerable to fraud. Most (non-permanent) fountain pen inks will wash out with plain water, so someone could easily do something like wash out the amount on a check and write in a higher amount. Noodler's, and I believe some others, guarantee that their ink is fraud proof.

It's also cheaper than cartridges. A 1 oz. bottle of Noodler's Luxury Blue cost me about $13, and has lasted over a year of working in a law office. Their black ink costs about the same for a 3 oz. bottle.

-Jake

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
The smaller pads are the ones I use, Riposte. I don't like toting around a large notebook or pad, so that size works best for me. I seem to have the same smudging issue on both simple white notepads as well as the smaller legal pads. I think it's a bit worse with the legal pads though, almost like they have a "finish" on them that keeps the ink from drying effectively. I'll check out Noodler's ink. I have only used cartridges so far, I admit I'm kind of intimidated by the coverter filling system. I'm sure it's efficient and neat, but I just have images of me screwing it up and getting ink everywhere, permanent ink at that!

jdelamar

New in Town
You might try a different ink; some dry faster than others. Noodlers Ink seems to take longer, Private Reserve drys a little faster. I think both make cartridges as well as bottled ink. If you have a pen store nearby they can offer some suggestions. Also, you could try gripping the pen a little higher; that has helped me some as well as slowing down a little. You might try a stationery store or an art supply store for paper especially Moleskine or Rhodia, both good papers.

pgoat

One Too Many
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Unfortunately, there isn't a pen shop within hundreds of miles, I'd guess.

you could always call these folks - maybe even send a pen in to them if need be:

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/?s=gaw&kw=[fountain+pen+hospital]

Very nice guys and they did a great job refurbishing one of my old pens and another for my wife.

Since getting into Fountain pens, I have read that many get a shop to adjust their nibs so the writing angle and ink flow is set the way they feel most comfortable with; as opposed to just writing with the pen the way it came out of the box.

I am no expert and am not sugesting you definitely need that, but something to think about. At the very least you could call and chat with them. They seem pretty cool about advising you honestly.

I have about 5 fountain pens, rangng from inexpensive (less than a hundred bucks) to pretty darn expensive (Just under a grand - that's expensive for me, for me, anyway) and I must say the best writing quality I've had with these is either a Pelikan 1000 (huge nib) or a $150 Shaffer Legacy. My cheaper vintage pens are scratchy and are not likely to improve much in my estimation - though they are fine to write with and have great sentimental value. The pricey one I own should definitely write better and I am planning to have it looked at in the shop.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having written with fountain pen for decades, I have to agree with some of the others that it's just something to get used to, take it slow and easy, and let the ink dry. And ink drying times vary with paper and ink. I know I ocassionally have to write on paper that seems to take forever to dry, and others are dry almost instantly.

But if you're in a town with a fountain pen shop sometime, you might drop in and have them give the pen a look. Sometimes a pen needs a little adjustment so the ink's flowing just right.

And using an unusual color of ink is fun. I've used brown forever, although I have one pen with black ink and a broader nib for signing documents or checks.

pgoat

One Too Many
I bought my pricier pen with a medium nib to use for checks and letter signing - one of its faults is uneven ink flow (it gets stingy or dry intermittently). hence my needing to get it adjusted.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner