Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a vintage bag everyday?

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in The Powder Room. I bought a 1940s bag recently, but I am fretting about using it everyday. Like most women these days, I carry a lot of stuff around with me (phone, wallet, keys, make up, hair brush, asthma inhalers, etc etc!). I would hate to damage the bag and ruin something that has been around a lot longer than I have. Having said that, it is in pretty good condition and the handle has been repaired/reinforced by the previous owner. Would you carry vintage everyday or do you consider it for special occasions only out of respect for the item?

Many thanks.

Stormy

A-List Customer
I would not carry or wear my vintage everyday. Most of my vintage accessories just mean so much more to me than mere fashion. Of course I realize that many people here wear all vintage everyday, and that is great. I on-the-other-hand wear mine about 50 days out of a year.

lareine

A-List Customer
I use my vintage bags every day. If they get ruined beyond repair due to that I'll throw them away. I buy things like that to use, not to store in a cupboard :)

DamianM

Vendor
My girlfriend uses here many bags everyday along with her dresses. she has plenty to choose from and never frets about them, some have scuffs when she gets them and doesn't mind but she tries not to make them worse.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
To each their own, but I don't use my vintage everyday. I'm just too hard on things. They get use. Like my vintage hats, they visit church on Sunday, and get outings for events and special occasions, so they don't just sit in a cupboard, but I want to extend the life of these historical pieces.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I go through little phases of using vintage bags over more modern ones. Sure, they may become a bit battered in the process, but I think it's simply important to be a little more careful with it. At the end of the day I bought these items to use and cherish. My mother always told me that "Sunday brunch" dresses aren't just for Sunday brunch. I.e. Use your good stuff, your good porcelain, that favourite limited edition lipstick. It's not worth locking away!

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
I mostly use my vintage handbags. One of my DIL's is a modern 'purse' aficionado and has gifted me with a few which I use when I need to carry A LOT. as when we head to the coast for the day, I'm hauling my iPad with me, ect. Either way, I always have my vintage wallet that holds the basics, vintage folding comb, lipstick holder (it holds my Chapstick :D !!) and a hankie. So far everything seems to fit. I like to use things not just look at them but that's my way :)

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I hang my purses on the wall so that I can enjoy them. But I also use them, I carry a vintage purse everyday. I don't think that I have any new purses left, those fall apart, the vintage ones hold up better for me. Yes, some wear out after a while, but then they become 'display only' bags.

DSCN0321.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner