Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USPS Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Not related to USPS but were is my akubra sombrero... If it was on delivery, CTT (portuguese mail service) failed to leave a warning. If it was returned I hope it return to seller and not lost in a warehouse subject to auction.

True enough, but they still act like their service is the only game in town. What they have been far too slow about waking up to is they're not only no longer the only game in town, but they've got some very serious competition that's slowly putting them out of business (FedEx, UPS, email, etc).

The decline in demand for first class mail and the requirement to pre fund health benefits for future retirees (since 2006) accounts for the bulk of the fiscal problems of the post office.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
prices have to rise to cover the cost of storage

I certainly hope, you are right. If not, I didn't learn much in school or life ;) What I wrote was: "Prices are constantly rising - while service is dropping.". Practice and experience usually make people and companies better at what they are doing, so the quality of service should expectedly rise ... not fall. If they didn't raise the prices, they would have to cut staff and lower the quality - but they most certainly do raise prices!

Of course I also know, that postal services are under giant changes these years. Not many standard letters are sent, and today's postal services are completely different from times before the email. On top of that more and more people seem to go into politics instead of trying to get on a "real" reality show. This means that words like "responsibility", "trustworthiness" and "seriousness" have become just empty phrases, written in tiny cyrillic letters on the dark side of the Moon. The areas, that have been privatized in DK function even worse, because the groundwork for transition was so poorly and amateurish set up [huh]

Not sure if there is a similar International Brief option available in the UK.

We do in Denmark. The German word "Brief" translate into "Letter", and we also use the corresponding Danish word "Brev". The longest side can be max. 60cm, and length+width+height can be max. 90cm. I guess the German rules are the same. It's true that it's a cheap and effective way to ship, but it doesn't do much to the Danish postal problems.

Last edited:
I really don't care to be an apologist for the USPS. I'm sure everyone has a negative experience and a postal hair-raising story tucked away somewhere... I certainly do. I do believe that a functioning postal service with a goal of universal service to all citizens is a key ingredient in a democracy. This service is not provided by private carriers - in fact, UPS and FedEx use the postal service to complete deliveries to rural addresses that are not profitable given their infrastructures.

There have been and will continue to be efforts at postal reform on Capitol Hill that try to solve these problems. Myself, I prefer the debate on vintage hats.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Good points all around.
I believe this to be better suited to the Observation Bar but as long as it remains within the limits.
I will leave it here.

I have had great service with the USPS, but have had a few items take longer here of late.
UPS during the holidays [and a month before] was just awful.
I feel like you and I are in the minority because I have only had one problem with the usps and they fixed it. Even though their prices are going up it is still cheaper to ship via usps because UPS and Fedex have a bunch of "hidden fees". For example, UPS won't accept some packaging and then charge an arm and a leg to pack it for you and you buy their box. I can send a hat via usps from WV to CA for around 10 bucks. That is VERY hard to beat.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
This is not my experience. Below is a portion of the tracking record of a recently received parcel that was sent via Priority Mail. Tracking information will vary depending on the level of service selected by the sender.

tracking.jpg
I LOVE usps tracking. It is almost real time. My stratoliner has went from PA to WV in the span of 8 hrs and three trips today.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
As a retired USPS Letter Carrier I've struggled not to respond to this post as well as TJones comments concerning the USPS elsewhere. "USPS Sucks"? Really TJ? Because your hat is late you condemn the nations largest employer of rapidly declining middle class wage earners? The ones who deliver your mail to EVERY address in the USA no matter if it's freezing cold or unbearably hot? In my personal Letter Carrier's case it's in the dark of night. That's not accountable to you? If you want to talk to a USPS human being, call or visit your local post office and you will be helped. Probably not to your satisfaction.

Here's what I can tell you, you will eventually receive your hat unless it was destroyed in a transportation accident or stolen off your porch. The USPS RARELY loses mail but it does occasionally get delayed due to the enormous challenges of processing more volume in hour than any private carrier can handle in a day. As documented in the media occasionally, sometimes decades late but delivered nonetheless.

alanfgag has rationally provided the explanation why the Post Office is in the position it's currently in, basically being unfairly forced (by legislation) to compete with private competition as well as changing traditions brought about by the internet age. As for the USPS being the "only game in town", yes they are when it comes to their mandate of delivering to EVERY address in the USA, something no private entity is required (or will) do. Be careful of what you wish for.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
As a retired USPS Letter Carrier I've struggled not to respond to this post as well as TJones comments concerning the USPS elsewhere. "USPS Sucks"? Really TJ? Because your hat is late you condemn the nations largest employer of rapidly declining middle class wage earners? The ones who deliver your mail to EVERY address in the USA no matter if it's freezing cold or unbearably hot? In my personal Letter Carrier's case it's in the dark of night. That's not accountable to you? If you want to talk to a USPS human being, call or visit your local post office and you will be helped. Probably not to your satisfaction.

Here's what I can tell you, you will eventually receive your hat unless it was destroyed in a transportation accident or stolen off your porch. The USPS RARELY loses mail but it does occasionally get delayed due to the enormous challenges of processing more volume in hour than any private carrier can handle in a day. As documented in the media occasionally, sometimes decades late but delivered nonetheless.

alanfgag has rationally provided the explanation why the Post Office is in the position it's currently in, basically being unfairly forced (by legislation) to compete with private competition as well as changing traditions brought about by the internet age. As for the USPS being the "only game in town", yes they are when it comes to their mandate of delivering to EVERY address in the USA, something no private entity is required (or will) do. Be careful of what you wish for.

Where did say that I'm complaining about my hat being delayed? I didn't. Pay attention to my post before you spout off! I said that I could understand if my hat was delayed because of the Winter weather conditions across some parts of the country. My complaint is that there has been no further tracking information of its whereabouts since it left the sorting facility. Furthermore, as I stated, you can't talk to anyone by phone and they failed to respond by email within the 24 hours they promised. Yes. In that regard, they suck! If it's delayed, I understand. All I want to know is, Where the hell's my damn hat! Is that so much to ask?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The Internet age has heavily cut into the USPS's business

True, though two substantially different services. In the letter-days the porto used to cover such a thing as "confidentiality of correspondence". Today it's (almost) free to email, and you are even guaranteed more than one "reader".

The upside of emails is the speed - and that the web doesn't whine the old song "In rain and snow - the mail must go" (or whatever that line translates into), whenever people complain about possible mistakes or shortcomings.

MCrider

A-List Customer
My complaint is that there has been no further tracking information of its whereabouts since it left the sorting facility. Furthermore, as I stated, you can't talk to anyone by phone and they failed to respond by email within the 24 hours they promised. Yes. In that regard, they suck! If it's delayed, I understand. All I want to know is, Where the hell's my damn hat! Is that so much to ask?

The tracking system in the Post Office used to mean a scan when you dropped off the package and another when it was delivered. They are trying to transition to a scan at every stop. Some places still havent got that idea so sometimes scans can be spotty. But you say you've called the 1-800 number and got no reply. Have you contacted your local post office and talked to the post master? With the tracking number they can call the facility and try to find out whats going on. Not all post masters are responsive but most will and with some phone calls they might be able to find out for you

We do in Denmark. The German word "Brief" translate into "Letter", and we also use the corresponding Danish word "Brev". The longest side can be max. 60cm, and length+width+height can be max. 90cm. I guess the German rules are the same. It's true that it's a cheap and effective way to ship, but it doesn't do much to the Danish postal problems.

Deustche Post Brief International usually works great. The letter status allows the shipment to avoid or quickly move through the US Custom process. I usually receive the shipment in about a week (sometimes a couple days longer). I have had shipments arrive in 3 days at a cost of 3,45 EURO (this is less cost than shipping domestically).

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Deustche Post Brief International usually works great

I know, but we have some other problems, and have had them for quite a while. It's mostly within DK, I see the problems - and it's mainly concerning parcels. Being local, those problems are actually outside the context of JT's original post. My point was just, that it's my experience, that many countries have problems with their post services these years. One common reason is of course the challenges from the web, but I don't think, that's the only reason - at least not here :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Where did say that I'm complaining about my hat being delayed? I didn't. Pay attention to my post before you spout off! I said that I could understand if my hat was delayed because of the Winter weather conditions across some parts of the country. My complaint is that there has been no further tracking information of its whereabouts since it left the sorting facility. Furthermore, as I stated, you can't talk to anyone by phone and they failed to respond by email within the 24 hours they promised. Yes. In that regard, they suck! If it's delayed, I understand. All I want to know is, Where the hell's my damn hat! Is that so much to ask?

Spout off? Believe me I used great restraint and self editing before I posted, maybe you should too. If this isn't about your hat, why is it posted in a hat thread? If your going to troll with a thread entitled "USPS Sucks" then you'd better expect some blow back. As far as talking to somebody on the phone, try your local phonebook (remember those?) or better yet google "post office+your city" and you'll find a local phone number and be able to talk (in a civil manner I hope) with a postal supervisor. Don't be surprised if they hang up on you if you go off like you have here.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
US Postal Service is the one I prefer. The local post office is tops for helping me whenever I need it in this regard and is very convenient. In contrast, the nearest UPS and Fedex receiving centers are like 30 miles away from me. I hate when retailers insist on shipping via UPS or Fedex.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
many countries have problems with their post services these years.
Absolutely, and I know many people who use both US and various EU postal services and they say that they would choose the USPS over most of them. When I lived in Europe in the 80s I found that postal service was markedly inferior to that provided by the USPS. I'm just happy that there is FedEx.:)

Regarding the original post.

Royal Mail tracking sounds very much like USPS in many regards. If you choose second class tracked mail within the UK you get a scan at receipt and a scan at delivery. This keeps costs down, but you (and they) don't know where the package is between those two scans. If you choose First Class tracked mail within the UK (and pay the premium) the package is scanned every time anything happens to it, so you know where it is at all times.

One thing I like about the reciprocal arrangements we have is that if I am receiving a package from the US, the USPS tracking number works in the UK when it has been scanned into the country. Same for Royal Mail tracking numbers. You sometimes need to do a bit of extra clicking as Parcel Force (the Royal Mail package arm) will assign a new tracking number once it's in the country, but overall it's been a very reliable tracking service on both sides of the pond.

Don't even get me started on the problems I have with DHL items shipped from Germany. That company is a disaster.

Don't even get me started on the problems I have with DHL items shipped from Germany. That company is a disaster.

I would agree if sent by DHL Paket (parcel) it can take a long time but I haven't had any lost items. Also the delays are usually here in US Customs. I usually receive DP Brief (letter) shipments in about one week and at low cost. I believe there is a difference between DP and DHL because they use different tracking systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot