Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

Frykitty

Familiar Face
QUOTE "A marketingscam thought up by flowershops, jewelers and chocolatepushers."

Don't forget the purveyors of fine seafood, besides Christmas and Thanksgiving
its one of my best days:D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Fair river! in thy bright, clear flow
Of crystal, wandering water,
Thou art an emblem of the glow
Of beauty-the hidden heart...
... when within the wave she looks-
Which glistens then, and trembles-
Why, then, the prettiest of brooks
Her worshipper resembles;
For in his heart, as in thy stream,
Her image deeply lies-
His heart which trembles at the beam
O her soul-searching eyes.

Edgar Allan Poe, To the River

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frankly, it's another day created for the common peasant to throw his earnings down a rat hole - love or no.

I celebrate it; no lies here. I've always completely spoiled my girlfriends on this day. However, I would spoil them any day of the year, like a birthday or anniversary, should the day arrive.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I catagorically refuse to participate in any holiday which involves obligatory over-spending. This is to include Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and any December celebration which involves a mountain of gifts.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Rachael said:
I catagorically refuse to participate in any holiday which involves obligatory over-spending. This is to include Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and any December celebration which involves a mountain of gifts.

Well said.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love’s sake only. Do not say
‘I love her for her smile — her look—her way
Of speaking gently...
....For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
Be changed, or change for thee,—and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity’s wiping my cheeks dry,—
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
But love me for love’s sake, that evermore
Thou mayst love on, through love’s eternity.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese XIV

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rachael said:

Hm, you don't have to spend money to make people know you care about them... you can write letters, go for a walk together, pick up the phone, etc.

I am not picking on you in particular, but it seems as though not celebrating these holidays at all is missing the point - it would be far more meaningful to still acknowledge the reason for the season, and yet not be controlled by the consumerist norm. Why not redefine the holiday in question?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
My read: a highly effective torture mechanism you who have something together use against us who don't.:(

Of course, I'm sure my perspective will change if there ever is a special someone in my life, but for now, being on the outside looking in...

My last relationship changed my perspective. I been working two jobs so that he could have a day off (we worked at the same place, where I covered for him on Saturdays). Come Valentine's Day, I didn't even get a card. Or a thank-you. Being home with my dignity doesn't seem so bad compared to that.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It can be hard to move on when you see the person every day.

I keep in mind what my brother told me: a lot of married people would love to trade places with you. He was married long enough to know.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I've never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day, so I've never really celebrated it. I've never had to worry about getting someone something, because I've never received anything. This year looks like more of the same.

I've gotten used to it now-- in middle school and high school it was tough because I never had a boyfriend so I never had anyone to spend lunch with holding hands and such. I was always very jealous of the girls that got flowers and teddy bears, and it hurt a lot, actually, that I was never good enough for any of the boys.

This is my second Valentine's day out of high school, and college is a bit better-- it's not as "in your face."

I guess the only way I feel about Valentine's day is left out. Maybe I'll feel different if I ever have a Valentine. I should find something to do on Valentine's day instead of moping, though. Maybe I'll got volunteer somewhere or something.

jayem

A-List Customer
Being superficial in some aspects, I love Valentine's Day simply for the colors and decor. I think anything pink and red with hearts and cupcakes and cutsey little things is adorable. I don't have a sweetheart, but I still buy the stuff simply because it's so cute. Every year I wish I would get a 'secret admirer' but, alas, it never happens! Maybe this year...:rolleyes:

Sepe

New in Town
Ah, Valentine's Day. Another syntetic celebration, provided by big companies in order to get your money. No, I do not celebrate it. If I'm in a relationship at the time, and the lady wants to celebrate it by, say, going to the movies or to a restaurant, fine. But the same is true for 364 other days of the year (hopefully I don't have to take anyone to the movies that often, especially considering the average quality of this foul century's movies)

As for this particular year, I'll propably spend the whole Valentine's day recovering from the... ahem, after-effects of the Seniors' Ball.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
jayem said:
Being superficial in some aspects, I love Valentine's Day simply for the colors and decor. I think anything pink and red with hearts and cupcakes and cutsey little things is adorable.

I must agree with you there-- I love the pink and red and white, especially cupcakes. There's something entirely too cute about cupcakes anyway, but when they are frosted to look like paper valentines, it reaches a whole new level of cuteness ;)

Edward

Bartender
BinkieBaumont said:
Someone will be thinking any one of us :) and pondering sending a card but they won't go through with it

Meh. I think I've reached a point where I'd take it as rather an insult.... at least the family years ago learned better than to send cards to me, which was really insulting - not so much the cards, more the notion that they thuoght I cared whether i received any. You humans are such an odd bunch at times.

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
I keep in mind what my brother told me: a lot of married people would love to trade places with you. He was married long enough to know.
To quote Skip James-
You know I never missed my water
'Till my well went dry
Didn't miss Crow Jane
Until the day she died

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy