Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

Baby Jane

New in Town
Lovely post Celtic & I can relate as my husband is the holiday type too. It has definitely added some fun to my life. My husband and I are going to the old sled works tomorrow (www.sledworks.com) and then going to the melting pot for dinner. I can't wait! Sorry to hear about your break-up WinoJunko. Keep your chin up because you never know what the future holds.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I gave in to my sweet nature and agreed to work tomorrow. One of my co-workers was scheduled, but his fiancee is leaving on Sunday for a 4-month internship so he has been rather desparate for someone to fill in.

It should be a fun day; we have a tango instructor for the day and long stemmed roses. So maybe I'll get a workout as well.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
last year my husband went to a hardcore show with his brother on v-day.... :mad:
this year we're going to kansas city to see my aunt, and pop over to lawrence to fantasize about going to college there someday...
i'm not one for romantic holidays, my husband's more of a romantic than i am!
when i was single, i always hated v-day, but in high school we would always have a carnation/rose delivery thing and i would always send a bunch to my friends and the little kids i tutored with silly sayings on them, and that was always fun.
it's over-commercialized, just like every other holiday, and it's wild to see roses go up three times in price. i'd prefer a living plant any day. my husband ordered himself a new ipod for v-day, so i think i'm going to have to have a little shopping spree of my own this weekend where there are a plethora or vintage shops!

Foofoogal

Banned
ok, seriously. Didn't want to put the video on but in India today there is a large protest against Valentines Day. Some say it is a day of lust and shame.
;) lol
Gonna have a field day with that one today when honey (husband) gets home. :D

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
64tonya said:
I decided a long time ago to boycott Valentine's day. Either it sucks because you are single or there is all this pressure to be super romantic if you are with someone. If you do love someone, you should do nice things for each other all the time, not just once a year because you are "supposed" to.
I agree that Valentine's Day shouldn't become forced and tense, however, I appreciate any chance to highlight love. My husband and I have a long tradition of exchanging cards. We each take time to write something thoughtful, usually about how much we appreciate each other. We were planning on staying home but we booked a last minute night at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in LA. I'm looking forward to hanging out together and relaxing. I think Valentine's Day is all what you make of it.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hapy Valentine's day

Good occasion to buy some flowers to the beloved one.
I like to buy flowers.
Also when there is no Valentine.
It arrived to Hungary after 1989 - my first girlfriend made me aware of Valentine day when I was 18 - late starter, but I think I did not miss out anything.
No objections vs. loving and giving.:)

donCarlos

Practically Family
As I was thinking it over and over, it´s not a bad holiday at all!
All these naive, vulnerable bimbos, who believe in the Valentine´s day, but have never been on a second date... Looks like a source of perfect targets for some non-gentleman behaviour. The thing is, am I so wicked to do that?

metropd

One Too Many
donCarlos said:
All these naive, vulnerable bimbos, who believe in the Valentine´s day, but have never been on a second date... Looks like a source of perfect targets for some non-gentleman behaviour. The thing is, am I so wicked to do that?

If you don't, somebody will. Go and get yours.;)

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I baked and left a heart shaped cake on a confection suger dusted cake stand surrounded by chocolate kiss's with 4 cupcakes with the letters l, o, v, e, at her place on the table before I went to work today. I havnt made the card yet.

its fun to participate in frivolous holidays, by sharing the moment it is no longer a frivolous holiday. it's fun and sharing is fun spread the love today!!!

Happy V day

pigeon toe

One Too Many
donCarlos said:

Uh...am I the only one who is rubbed the wrong way by reading this? "Vulnerable bimbo" (whatever that means!) or not, women should never be treated as prey.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
Fair river! in thy bright, clear flow
Of crystal, wandering water,
Thou art an emblem of the glow
Of beauty-the hidden heart...
... when within the wave she looks-
Which glistens then, and trembles-
Why, then, the prettiest of brooks
Her worshipper resembles;
For in his heart, as in thy stream,
Her image deeply lies-
His heart which trembles at the beam
O her soul-searching eyes.

Edgar Allan Poe, To the River

...as Duke Ellington said, "one more, once." :D

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Uh...women should never be treated as prey.

:eusa_clap

" We cannot fight for love, as men must do, we were meant to be wooed, and should not woo."

methinks Shakespeare says it best.:rolleyes:

donCarlos

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Uh...am I the only one who is rubbed the wrong way by reading this? "Vulnerable bimbo" (whatever that means!) or not, women should never be treated as prey.
Yes, I see that I may have used some inappropriate words and I apologize. Of course, intelligent and emancipated women will never agree with this attitude, but many men just have it and there´s nothing you can do about it.

I´m normally shy and not very confident with women, but there are times in a year, when I turn into a "hunter". All in all, I´m young, and as all young males in nature, you know...

Caity Lynn said:

" We cannot fight for love, as men must do, we were meant to be wooed, and should not woo."

I´m afraid I don´t understand this. I understand the words, but not the meaning. It seems to me that it´s what I said, but much better said. What part of what play is it from?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:

The heartbreaker runs the risk of getting his own heart broken.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:

Another way of putting it: "...the girl who runs, runs after a man who runs faster!"

-Emily Post, Etiquette, 1940, p. 374.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
I´m afraid I don´t understand this. I understand the words, but not the meaning. It seems to me that it´s what I said, but much better said. What part of what play is it from?

A Midsummer Night's Dream; II?

donCarlos

Practically Family
Harp said:
A Midsummer Night's Dream; II?
Thank you, you are right. As I understand it from the translation (Shakespeare can not be translated by amateurs, such as me), it means something like "men can fight for our love and we want to be conquered, not to conquer". Which is what I meant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy