Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valkyrie

Grant Fan

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Pfft. He looks like some rich pretty boy in a badly chosen Halloween costume and about as tough as a dollop of whip cream....
lol :eusa_clap well said. That man gets on my nerves I wouldn't get near him if I he was the last male alive and all of humanity depended upon it. I have boycotted his movies for years, but sadly I will be breaking my boycott to see this movie. Though they could have selected a better actor he just doesn't look tough at all

merkman

Familiar Face
Geez, give the guy a break. I'm not a huge fan either but, he could very well carry it off .
Besides, he could possibly draw in some younger fans to have an interest in history witch is sorely lacking these days. I find most people don't know of this story at all! What DO they teach in school these days?
I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they will have some technical accuracy in the film. I hate movies that have the wrong equipment, vehicles,uniforms, etc.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
CRUISE control

TC's double issue:

1. His box office star has lost some $$$ luster.

2. Believe he's an executve w/United Artiist so
even more $$$ is riding on this film.

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Jerekson

One Too Many
If that picture had been anyone else besides Tom Cruise, we would all be saying how good he looks.

I'm pretty stoked for the movie.

Indyfan

New in Town
I'm going to see it JUST for the period detail. The ONLY thing that bothers me about Cruise is he could have at least done a German accent.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Indyfan said:
I'm going to see it JUST for the period detail. The ONLY thing that bothers me about Cruise is he could have at least done a German accent.

You need someone who can really act to do that.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
And about 18 months after this post began, the reviews begin, just in time for Christmas!

Cruise distractingly bad in Valkyrie

Actually, GAWKER.com mentioned that Associated Press 'distractingly bad' review as cruel & points to other positive reviews
http://gawker.com/5115605/tom-cruise-in-valkyrie-distractingly-bad

Roger Ebert doles out 3stars
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081222/REVIEWS/812229989

Frankly Im tired of the recent hype of parading Cruise on various shows including Oprah trying to prove that he's not crazy & that he & Katie Holmes are happy. He made a slew of Public Relation blunders a few years ago that trashed his box office appeal & had him dismissed from Paramount.
The gals on the VIEW can jump to his defense & extol how mature he looks in this movie...but Id just as soon skip his movies.
TOMCRUISECRAZY ukulele song

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
I'll see it, when I rent it, not holding out a lot of hope for it though. I rented that piece of c--p Pearl Harbor and was able to get my shoe print off my TV screen. I think my Magnavox can stand another kick if necessary.

What do you think is worse:

Tom Cruise as Von Stauffenberg
or
Alec Baldwin as Doolittle
(not to mention Affleck as Mr. All-round-pilot-of both-theaters/sun-shines-out-of-my-backside)

I may hold a little more hope for Valkyrie than Pearl Harbor. Boy, I want those three hours of my life back!

I thought I was the only one....

Pearl Harbor rubs me the wrong way. Half of it was a remake of "Tora, Tora, Tora," and the other half just rewrites history. There were only 7 American pilots that fought in the Battle of Britain. The Eagle Squadron didn't come until later. None of the seven were at Pearl on December 7th.

Turning the Doolittle Raid, into a carrier Alpha Strike, instead of individual aircraft raiding separate targets.

The film's only redeeming quality is Kate Beckinsale, in vintage 40's clothing.

The only thing better than that, is Kate Beckinsale in a corset, and hussar jacket, in Van Helsing.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
I'll see it, when I rent it, not holding out a lot of hope for it though. I rented that piece of c--p Pearl Harbor and was able to get my shoe print off my TV screen. I think my Magnavox can stand another kick if necessary.

What do you think is worse:

Tom Cruise as Von Stauffenberg
or
Alec Baldwin as Doolittle
(not to mention Affleck as Mr. All-round-pilot-of both-theaters/sun-shines-out-of-my-backside)

I may hold a little more hope for Valkyrie than Pearl Harbor. Boy, I want those three hours of my life back!

Pearly Harbor, bleh. I boycotted that til it was on network tv. Its the director, MichaelBay, he puts out the most vapid stuff. I enjoyed the parody song admonished Bay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pM8PrqY5Rg

I hold more hope for Valkyrie since the director has done some quality films, such as THE USUAL SUSPECTS.
But Im still in no rush.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Indyfan said:

I believe the first trailer for the movie, had everyone doing German accents straight out of Hogan's Heroes. A friend with ties to the film industry believe they recut all of the dialogue back into English. Test audiences hated the accents; loved it in English.

I could have sworn I saw that trailer and thought it sounded ridiculous.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Nighthawk said:
Sean Connery was good in The Rock, which was directed by Bay.

NH

I don't think Bay is a bad director at all (hey, I liked Transformers), but he's just one of those goofy uber-predictable directors. He just dosen't seem to have a knack for it, so to speak...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MrBern said:
He made a slew of Public Relation blunders a few years ago that trashed his box office appeal & had him dismissed from Paramount.

Here are the theater grosses (not counting DVD rights, which can account for up to 70% of a film's revenue) of the three films that TC has released (as lead actor) since his Oprah moment.

11/9/07 Lions for Lambs $63,212,012
5/5/06 Mission: Impossible III $397,850,012
6/29/05 War of the Worlds $591,745,540

That's nearly $1B. :eusa_doh:

As for the bogus spin that the jilted Sumner Redstone put on their breakup.:rolleyes:

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Saw Valkyrie. Really like it. WWII is really not my area but I thought it was well executed. The perfect Christmas film (j/k about that last sentence).

As for Cruise, his beliefs are no more "crazy" than what other religious people believe. If it works for him, great. He is always under the microscope and when he does say something nutty, he has been man enough to either apologize for it or stand behind it. He has a rep for stopping at accident scenes to help people, even if it was just the change a tire. Cruise even made up with Brooke Shields and Matt Lauer. I'd hate to have half of what gossip has been said about Cruise and his family said about me.

He has hysterical in "Tropic Thunder" and good in Valkyrie. See it if you like WWII thrillers; skip it if it ain't your thing.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is about the 'movie..'

...the 'movie' folks, not the religious beliefs of the acting crew, so it's not really constructive to judge a movie one hasn't seen, based on the personal beliefs of the actors or actresses in that movie.- fair point?

Advice: Go watch it and then judge on what you thought of the movie, plot, quality of acting, historical realism..etc ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner