Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valuable WWII Gun at Police Buy-Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
For every one person who believe their heirloom has no value. Their are a thousands who believe their heirloom is worth a fortune!
You meet them all the time.

rjb1

Practically Family
Typical situation with cops and news media not understanding gun laws, especially as pertains to full-auto weapons. If it was not properly registered in the 1968 amnesty, the best that can happen is that she (the owner) can donate it to a museum and it will be out of the public sale ("transferable") category forever (no $20,000 - $25,000 sale). Worst case is that ATF takes possession and destroys it. (no $20000 - $25000 sale)
If by some small chance it is registered, and they can prove it, it will go for the $20000 - $25000 that they mention, but I would not bet anything on that possibility.
Of interest is whether the local cops and their so-called "gun buyback" program can really grant immunity for a Federal crime (Violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934).

Rathdown

Practically Family
For the record, most military bring backs from WWII of this type were deactivated prior to handing them over to the GI desirous of having a war trophy. So common was this practice that these guns had a special military acronym: DEWAT, short for Deactivated War Trophy, and literally thousands of them were sold in the USA in the post-war era, up through the 1970s when stocks were finally depleted.

As far as rjb1's comment concerning a potential violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934, unless one has knowledge that is beyond the scope of the information that appeared in the ABC News article, the suggestion that a Federal crime has occurred is idle speculation which renders his question regarding a "grant of immunity" a nullity. However, for what it is worth, to the best of my knowledge there has never been an arrest or prosecution of any person voluntarily surrendering a firearm of any description to law enforcement authorities, especially a firearm that was "found".

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
For the record, the DEWAT process was so trivial (not much more than just a tack weld and a rod in the barrel) that many of those have been reactivated (some legally, some not). (Not that that situation is relevant to this case.) Also, if the weapon was just plain stolen, or brought back clandestinely, there was no such DEWAT process applied to the firearm.

For the record, again, do you know of any provision of the National Firearms Act (a "loophole") that allows a person to possess a full auto weapon (by whatever circumstance) and *not* be subject to prosecution. They (ATF and federal prosecutors) may *choose* not to prosecute if your intentions are good (by their standards), but if there is some aspect of the law that actually *prevents* them from doing so, I would like to know about it.

rjb1

Practically Family
I was curious about the ammo situation myself, and found that Midway and Target Sports USA both list 7.92 Kurz.

Rathdown

Practically Family
For the record, again, do you know of any provision of the National Firearms Act (a "loophole") that allows a person to possess a full auto weapon (by whatever circumstance) and *not* be subject to prosecution.
Yup, I do. I guess you don't. Now you can either go to law school, like I did, and then in your spare time research the law or you can hire a smart attorney and have them research the law for you. Either way if you apply yourself diligently to your task you will find the loophole you are looking for. Just don't ask me to do your work for you. And don't expect me to respond to any further postings on the subject of immunity from prosecution as it relates to the National Firearms Act of 1934, because I won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass