Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanek Leather Clothing

Angel

One of the Regulars
Always fascinating to peek into shops like this - thanks for visiting and sharing with us!
I totally forgot to take pictures. Only the two in the post.
On the table there are my jackets, the leather he uses for jackets (next to the measuring tape) and a lot of other stuff like vinyl and motorcycle seats.
In the background you see chairs waiting for new leather and jackets they made, or they are working on.
He's very good at getting a good fit, as he knew with every jacket what would have had to be done.
He started cutting apart one jacket, had me put it on and measured the new panels, just like getting a bespoke suit.
As I showed him the Aero he said that he has heard of this company. First thing when he took it was: "That's heavy!"
And he said he would not change a thing because they created this pattern and that's how it is. And it's great.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What was really special about Engelbert is that he is a very humble man.
He's not sad about how things changed. It felt like it's not a big difference for him if he's making a leather jacket or a motorcycle seat. He has a pragmatic approach to his work, like a carpenter who's building a bed on one day and a table the other day. When I admired the skills needed for building a jacket, here's what he said: "Well, you need a sewing machine that is powerful enough".
He's also not into fancy leathers. He told me that only dyed through leathers are used for jackets anymore because you would see every scratch with other leathers. But he also said that he likes the way leather ages and is no fan of artificially aged leathers.
But I am curious what he could do with a nice batch of Shinki or Italian horsehide. So go for it @red devil!

Will definitely do so!
I already have a lighter navy CXL I had bought for another project a few years ago - I did not end up going with it. And have been wondering what to do with it. Seems like a prime candidate for a first jacket :)

Angel

One of the Regulars
Will definitely do so!
I already have a lighter navy CXL I had bought for another project a few years ago - I did not end up going with it. And have been wondering what to do with it. Seems like a prime candidate for a first jacket :)
Great!
Make sure you meet him in his shop. If you need help, maybe with translating, just let me know!
I have an identical one; Engelbert Vanek wrote that this is actually from the 70s after I sent him some pics.
He still remembers your mail. He was quite surprised when I told him that I know you and about the conversation here (TFL).

red devil

Great!
Make sure you meet him in his shop. If you need help, maybe with translating, just let me know!

That's the plan, I want to be there as soon as travelling becomes more accessible. And I would definitely take you up on translating. The more the merrier :D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Great!

He still remembers your mail. He was quite surprised when I told him that I know you and about the conversation here (TFL).
Yep, he was very nice in the email exchanges with me. Just like you said - a humble guy, excellent craftsman. Hope you guys will give him some custom business - his police contracts seem to have dried up. These are very nice jackets though - utilitarian, simple straight zips but with nice slanted breast pockets. Robbie's model also has hand warmer pockets which my model lacks.

Edward

Bartender
Now that we have a Vanek thread (thank you @Angel), I am posting some pics of Austria's finest in Vanek jackets I found on the web...:)

Interesting thread. Always nice to hear of something new. Interesting too to see how he's diversifying into bike seats to keep the business going; nice he's able to do the odd jacket on the side, too.

Daylight pics of my Engelbert Vanek. I really like this jacket and especially the graining!

View attachment 300674

View attachment 300675

Nice! These jackets have a hint of Higheayman / Rivett's / Lewis look about them, but with just that little sense of difference that marks they out as fom somewhere else - an Austrian take on the style.

No, although I like that idea! I will take closer pics, these are some sort of inserts.

That being said, I have had in mind to make an ostrich jacket for a long time, not sure about the design yet :)

Ha, my mind went to ostrich first before I realised what it was too.

Engelbert told me that nowadays, they earn their money mostly with upholstery jobs.
They are making seats for motorcycles and are working with the local carpenters. Clothing sector is going down. Since you can get cheap leather jackets everywhere, no one is willing to pay for the cost of labour here. And they are not aiming at the high end market, they produce not fancy, but quality products.

Yeah, the likes of us really are a niche market nowadays; for such a niche, it's surprising just how many companies there are hanging on.

red devil

I wrote to Vanek some time ago. We arranged that I will make an appointment with him when the situation here in Austria is a little more relaxed. hope that will be in spring.

I am hoping I can make it in Spring also, could be quite fun to meet up and to place our orders :)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
1970s Anton Vanek.

IMG_20210218_164920.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@Will Zach Quite nice and excellent condition of a 70s jacket. Is it yours? Recently bought? The leather looks different to mine. Would be interesting to know in which price range Engelbert Vanek is as I have no clue.
Hi Robbie. This is my Anton Vanek. I got it super-cheap about a year ago after @Monitor identified @Angel jacket as a Vanek. Turns out he was not entirely accurate, as @Angel jacket is also Austrian motorcycle cop jacket, but from a different maker. The nylon zips were in bad shape in my jacket, so I had them replaced with 8 and 6 mm Riris, which look awesome on it.

Unfortunately, the leather in my Vanek, while hefty, is super smooth and will never attain the character your jacket has. I think that through the years Vanek used different leathers as long as the weight specs were met. I do like the jacket, though, it is simple, functional, almost like a uniform, and yet retains a moto character due to the quilted back panel that goes around and a wind flap made of (seriously) 2.5-3 mm thick strip of leather..

Angel

One of the Regulars
Hi Robbie. This is my Anton Vanek. I got it super-cheap about a year ago after @Monitor identified @Angel jacket as a Vanek. Turns out he was not entirely accurate, as @Angel jacket is also Austrian motorcycle cop jacket, but from a different maker. The nylon zips were in bad shape in my jacket, so I had them replaced with 8 and 6 mm Riris, which look awesome on it.

Unfortunately, the leather in my Vanek, while hefty, is super smooth and will never attain the character your jacket has. I think that through the years Vanek used different leathers as long as the weight specs were met. I do like the jacket, though, it is simple, functional, almost like a uniform, and yet retains a moto character due to the quilted back panel that goes around and a wind flap made of (seriously) 2.5-3 mm thick strip of leather..
The leather looks exactly like my 70's cop jacket. Leather is very slowly showing character, that's a sign of good quality leather for Mr. Vanek. I just got the message that he finished the alterations, I hope to recive it next week.
Great that you made it weareable again!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
It was a tough decision but I decided to sell my Vanek as I haven't worn it since I received it...I've just updated it on the Classifieds. It's a pity but I do have too many black leather jackets in a similar style. I hope I won't regret it, because the fit is right and the construction, quality, leather are really nice.

upload_2021-1-14_12-8-24-png.300674

upload_2021-1-14_12-8-46-png.300675

ErWeSa

Familiar Face
I wish I knew what branch of law enforcement was this particular model of jacket used for. Austrian cops wear black. This is something else, tho I don't know what. I know that your jacket came with the pants I posted earlier on but that's about it. Could be military police, maybe? Border patrol?
They were indeed for the Austrian military police, the "Militärstreife", here is such an example with the collar patches
(rank: "Vizeleutnant"):

MilStreife.jpg

I posted my 2 Austrian police jackets today without knowing that there is a special Janek thread here, very interesting and informative. What a pity that he no longer gets orders from the Austrian state.
Here is the link if you are interested: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...licemans-leather-jackets.110666/#post-2997604

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider