Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson and Horween

Harry Kohvair

New in Town
100 percent Vanson made. Christian from Left Field sat down with Vanson years ago to devise specs for the jacket. Then Vanson builds it. Nothing nefarious here. In fact, if you call Vanson direct and tell them to build one for you they will, no need to go through Left Field, or Paul Cox, or whoever else they have collaborated with (long list I bet).
Not sure if this is strictly true. I asked Mike (Van der Sleesen )years ago if he could make me one of their Bud Elkins/Johnson Leathers jackets. He initially agreed to it then changed his mind, citing legal concerns. For the record, I just took delivery of a modified CHP from him so if I find out I could we’ll have ordered a Commando then I’ll be well miffed.

Yeah. I came to find out I wasn’t, strictly speaking, correct. You are on point. One can tweak their jackets to approximate a collab you may want. But if you want a collab, you gotta go through the partner. I dealt with Vanson on tweaks to the the jacket I had ordered through Cox.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Being a proud owner of one of these, used to be two of them, I can tell you it's a fantastic jacket. It's the only jacket I bought two exact same ones. Part of the reason was I was on this long hunt to find a really simple D pocket. Sounds easy right? Wrong. A lot of them have action backs, or belts, or epaulettes, etc.

Besides that, I know a lot of us have negative impressions about the comfort of CXL. I don't know what they did to this batch, but it is God-like. Very soft, very pliable, extremely comfortable. I guess the long length is the main complaint i've seen from most, but being 6'0 I was ok with it. And I don't ride, so a little longer is no issue. The top coat is also very thin, so it's almost instant teacore. Some people may not like that, but that's the look I was going for and having so many jackets, a thick top coat teacore will essentially be a black jacket for me.

It was such a nice jacket that when I saw an opportunity to buy another, I didn't even hesitate. In my mind, it was like oh cool, I'll have a back up just in case. Of course, this is just gluttonous and reality sets in and I just sold the other I think for a fair price. Although I don't know how much the gold liner costs and there is that rarity element. But I think I heard it costs near $2k to have Vanson replicate it.

Anyway, great jacket. If you ever have a chance to buy one, I strongly and highly recommend. I think anything sub $1100 assuming it's in a good condition is about right. There's no doubt this should be in line with Aero CXL pricing ($1100-1300ish). You get all the upsides of the CXL and the comfort patterns of Vanson. Match made in heaven.

Harry Kohvair

New in Town
Being a proud owner of one of these, used to be two of them, I can tell you it's a fantastic jacket. It's the only jacket I bought two exact same ones. Part of the reason was I was on this long hunt to find a really simple D pocket. Sounds easy right? Wrong. A lot of them have action backs, or belts, or epaulettes, etc.

Besides that, I know a lot of us have negative impressions about the comfort of CXL. I don't know what they did to this batch, but it is God-like. Very soft, very pliable, extremely comfortable. I guess the long length is the main complaint i've seen from most, but being 6'0 I was ok with it. And I don't ride, so a little longer is no issue. The top coat is also very thin, so it's almost instant teacore. Some people may not like that, but that's the look I was going for and having so many jackets, a thick top coat teacore will essentially be a black jacket for me.

It was such a nice jacket that when I saw an opportunity to buy another, I didn't even hesitate. In my mind, it was like oh cool, I'll have a back up just in case. Of course, this is just gluttonous and reality sets in and I just sold the other I think for a fair price. Although I don't know how much the gold liner costs and there is that rarity element. But I think I heard it costs near $2k to have Vanson replicate it.

Anyway, great jacket. If you ever have a chance to buy one, I strongly and highly recommend. I think anything sub $1100 assuming it's in a good condition is about right. There's no doubt this should be in line with Aero CXL pricing ($1100-1300ish). You get all the upsides of the CXL and the comfort patterns of Vanson. Match made in heaven.

Harry Kohvair

New in Town
Very cool. Thanks for the fast response. Looking for an ANJ-4 now. Will probably go with Gary Eastman’s ( I have one of his first Irvin copies). Foolishly I gave an original ANJ away back in ‘86. If you know anyone looking for an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, sz.42 please send them my way. I bought it before I knew better.
All the best,
Ian.

Harry Kohvair

New in Town
Ps. This modified CHP from Vanson is in a new batch of leather. Thick yet chromy and soft where it counts. I outgrew my Vanson Chopper unfortunately and needed a Fall jacket for the motorcycle. I’m flogging it also, barely worn, but it has a BSA patch on the back and a Matchless one on the chest. It’s a medium sized thick Waxon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy