Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield fit check

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Hello guys,

what do you think about the fitting of this jacket?

The arms are too long, in my opinion. Should I bring this jacket to a tailor?

When I close the zippers on the arms, the leather accumulates too much on the upper arm.

Attachments

• Unbenannt3.png
    Unbenannt3.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 366
  • Unbenannt2.png
    Unbenannt2.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Unbenannt1.png
    Unbenannt1.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 355

Observe

One Too Many
Based on the pictures, the sleeves appear to be at least an inch too long for you. Sleeve length is ultimately a matter of preference, but the length on your jacket is causing you fit issues with how the sleeve stacks on your arm when it's zipped. The jacket also looks pretty new, which means the leather needs to break in a bit, which may make things look a bit awkward at first, further exacerbating your pictured issue.

If you have a reputable local tailor who is comfortable working with leather, I'd go there, otherwise searching this forum for a good leather tailor will provide you with some information. I know, not from first hand experience, but from word of mouth here, that Great Leather, run by a lady named Dena Hamilton, is highly regarded. If you don't have anything good locally, expect to pay $150+ for sleeve shortening and shipping.

Edit: just want to add that I think the jacket otherwise fits you well from what I can see in the pictures.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
The sleeves on Vanson jackets are always too long for me as well, it’s a pain. I’ve gotten mine shortened, which I might fail to mention if I sell the jacket on… (not on here though)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You can get them shortened an inch if you like. Vanson sleeves tend to be on the longer side, always plus 1”. My model B jackets sleeves are also on the longer side. The jacket torso fits you well. Wear and see if you can live with the sleeve length as is, if not shortening isn’t a big job. Vanson sleeves are just folded so it can look factory even after shortening.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
You can get them shortened an inch if you like. Vanson sleeves tend to be on the longer side, always plus 1”. My model B jackets sleeves are also on the longer side. The jacket torso fits you well. Wear and see if you can live with the sleeve length as is, if not shortening isn’t a big job. Vanson sleeves are just folded so it can look factory even after shortening.
I was at my tailor, but did not bring my jacket directly, showed only pictures. Next time I will bring it to him.
What is the best way for shortening? He does not know if he can do it from the shoulders, he wants to to it from the forearms. But he first have to see the jacket in reallife.

I thought, from the shoulders would be the best way?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I was at my tailor, but did not bring my jacket directly, showed only pictures. Next time I will bring it to him.
What is the best way for shortening? He does not know if he can do it from the shoulders, he wants to to it from the forearms. But he first have to see the jacket in reallife.

I thought, from the shoulders would be the best way?
It is possible to shorten it from the shoulder but it would be a HUGE expensive job and would most likely narrow the shoulder width, altered arm hole size as a result. Anytime shoulder surgery is performed on a jacket it's basically a remake job in man hours if done correctly. Very pricey for just sleeve length alteration.
I would recommand to do it from the wrist. Vanson does their wrist differently in the sense that there is no top stitch and more folded leather, like a suit, so easily modified. You will end up with a bit shorter wrist zip length but Vanson has a bit longer than normal wrist zip to begin with anyways.
Vanson sleeve at the wrist:
vanson sleeve ends.jpg

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
It is possible to shorten it from the shoulder but it would be a HUGE expensive job and would most likely narrow the shoulder width, altered arm hole size as a result. Anytime shoulder surgery is performed on a jacket it's basically a remake job in man hours if done correctly. Very pricey for just sleeve length alteration.
I would recommand to do it from the wrist. Vanson does their wrist differently in the sense that there is no top stitch and more folded leather, like a suit, so easily modified. You will end up with a bit shorter wrist zip length but Vanson has a bit longer than normal wrist zip to begin with anyways.
Vanson sleeve at the wrist:
View attachment 490070
Thank you! I do not understand at all, when shortening from the wrist, there will be a new visible seam on the leather, around the wrist or what??

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Could it be that the sleeves are too long because the jacket is just too big? @bizrkartendiankirt, were you able to try on a size down when you got this?
No, I bought this jacket from eBay in germany (i live there)...

Hmmmm , when I have a wool sweater under the jacket, in my opinion it seems not like it is too big...

I will post another fit photos later.

This is a 36 size. I am 72kgs at 173cm, I think a 34 will be to small.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you! I do not understand at all, when shortening from the wrist, there will be a new visible seam on the leather, around the wrist or what??
No, there will be no visible stitch holes because it's shortening. I didn't wear my Vanson today, when I get home I will take a few close up photos.

The regular Enfield has very generous chest ease but coupled with very high armholes, like the model B. I tried all different sizes of the B and I also wouldn't recommand downsizing, the shoulder and armpit tension won't work. There is a slim fit Enfield called "Royal Enfield" that is meant for the slim fit purpose, it also has a one piece back.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vanson sizing is somewhat weird. With my 43" chest I usually wear a size 42 from most makers.

Some vanson models I can wear size 38.

View attachment 490106 View attachment 490107
That one might have been mis tagged.

That winward is suppose to be their most slim fit, tag size plus 3" is the chest circumference. Judging by the lowered armhole on your jacket that would be a 42/44 in their current size tag at least.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is the whole fitting of the jacket really that bad?
Do you like the fit? Apart from the sleeves?
Then it's all good. Wear the jacket and be happy. If you have doubts, then it doesn't fit.
And I hope for your sake that the tailor is a leather tailor. I'm not sure a normal tailor can do it well.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Do you like the fit? Apart from the sleeves?
Then it's all good. Wear the jacket and be happy. If you have doubts, then it doesn't fit.
And I hope for your sake that the tailor is a leather tailor. I'm not sure a normal tailor can do it well.

Mhhh. When it does not fit how a leather jacket should, than its...

What do you say?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21