Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield vs Schott 689H

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Well, these 2 jackets have been all over the forum lately; with both getting positive reviews.
Anybody ever own both?
On the surface, they're very similarly styled.
The major difference being that the Schott has the quilted insulated lining and is made of Horse Hide, whereas the Vanson has a thin Rayon lining and is made of Steer Hide.
Both seem to be very high quality jackets.
The Vanson seems to be priced lower (at least on the 2 company's sites)
What I'm looking for are opinions on day to day living with the 2 jackets, and fit information. Do they run large, or small.
How do they break in and what do they look like after break in.
How do they feel while driving, walking, sitting, etc.
Thanks all,
Lenny

Lama

New in Town
I do not own both, so please bear with my pro-Vanson opinion.

I think the issue right off the bat with the Schott is the massive wind flap that Schott installs. The Vanson looks uber-clean without it.

Also, the statement I've seen from Schott owners about the stiff glued-in matting against the horsehide is a bit disturbing for a $650 jacket.

I also feel the side buckles and side shape of the Vanson is more attractive.

Honestly, I think the Japanese have spec'ed out the best version of a collared trim Vanson, they call it a "9D", it becomes basically a higher chest pocket Enfield, and can be had with a slightly larger dress or snap fur collar:

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=dp&num=143

I do believe the 689HH when zipped-up on a correct fitting wearer is absolutely beautiful, however.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have limited experience with both of these jackets. I have bought both of them, and sent both back. That doesn't mean that I didn't like them both, I just had fit issues with both of the jackets.

The Schott 689HH was too short in the arms for me (size 46 chest the arms were 25"), although the body fit was right. This jacket is cut small so you need to order it one size larger than you normally wear. I thought the Horsehide on this jacket was OK -it has a shiny finish and is pretty stiff. It's hard to tell how thick the hide really is because Schott fuses it to a layer of felt. The lining is quilted nylon, and it makes for a pretty warm jacket - definitely not a good one for summer wear. In any case, I thought it was a good jacket, but not worth the normal $650 price tag.

I ordered the Vanson in "Octagon" (saddle tan color) Competition Weight Cowhide. It was also a size 46. The particular hide that I got was soft and quite oily in finish. The jacket was too big for me (I normally wear a 44) but the sleeves in the size 46 were 27" long - perfect for me and my long arms. It was a very effective riding jacket - the zip cuffs sip up nice and snug, it offered great freedom of movement, and it was long enough to not ride up. THis jacket also has a pretty big windflap. The leather was a little thinner than I expected, but it wasn't bad. I'd be curious to try on a standard black "competion weight" Enfield in a 44 - I bet it would be a great jacket. However, I really don't want another black jacket. I didn't like the finish and weight of the Octagon leather, but that is just my personal opinion. It's also worth noting that any color other than Black is a 10% upcharge, and some special colors may not be returnable. Vanson keeps the Octagon color in stock, which is why I was able to return mine.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I would probably go for a Vanson or an Aero (I am working on an order for an Aero Cafe racer with a Highwayman collar and a Highwayman style Bi-swing back, which is essentially the same concept as both of these jackets). I also think the Fox Creek Grayson looks like a good choice, but it has a mandarin collar, not a shirt collar like the jackets you're looking at.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I also like the 9D.
The horiz external zipped pocket looks much nicer than the diag one on the Enfield. However, I don't like the 2 piece back as much as the 1 piece back on the Enfield.
The Enfield has a wind flap also, doesn't it?
Lenny

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Yes, the Enfield has a windflap. If you want to see it, check out my recent "Octagon" Enfield thread. I have some unzipped shots that show the windflap.

Lama

New in Town
It appears the Enfield in Horsehide has a more subtle and smaller windflap?

http://www.vansonleathers.com/images/jackets/comt-hrse-w_knny.jpg

My recent Comet has a full length subtle windflap that looks great open.

I guess the question is, why such large windflaps? Yikes!!!

I ride motorcycles almost daily, if it's cold, I'm not using an Enfield or any other "spring/fall jacket".

Guess thats what a custom only a order can provide. :(

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I'll chime in since I own a 689h.

I'm not thrilled that Schott had to fuse felt to the horsehide. I won't defend them on this point which is probably the weakest part of this jacket.

I will say that these thoughts don't cross your mind when wearing it and it looks and feels, to an extent, like thick horsehide.

What it comes down to is I really like the cut of the sz 42 689h. It just fits perfect. For reference, I weigh 180 lbs, 42" chest and 32" waist and I am 5' 9". Those with a bit of a gut probably wouldn't fit so well into this model.

The size 42 Vansons I've tried on always felt a bit too tight in the shoulders. Some jackets are cut for guys with big shoulders and some aren't. The Vansons I've come across weren't. Otherwise, they are great jackets and the comp weight leather feels like armor.

I think they're both great jackets. Pick the one that fits you better. For me, it was the Schott.

Sonero

Practically Family
Bumping this thread.
Can anyone add anything to the Enfield / Schott 689H debate that is current info ? I wonder what jacket has a thicker hide ? Waiting on Schott to send me the size specs. They really need to include this on their website automatically. Same with Vanson.

I have never owned a Vanson but Schott has never done me wrong so far.....

Schott 689H is brilliant. Very comfortable, warm, does everything right. I had it for a short while, just not in my size but it's one of those jackets you'd grab first for when you're doing an errand.
But Vanson is entirely comparable. I don't think it's possible to say one's better than the other as they're very similar and equally good. Schott's HH is pretty consistent while Vanson's Comp. hide isn't so... It's hard to even say which one is heavier but I'd say they're about the same. Vanson isn't that much heavier than Schott, anyway.

Sonero

Practically Family
Schott 689H is brilliant. Very comfortable, warm, does everything right. I had it for a short while, just not in my size but it's one of those jackets you'd grab first for when you're doing an errand.
But Vanson is entirely comparable. I don't think it's possible to say one's better than the other as they're very similar and equally good. Schott's HH is pretty consistent while Vanson's Comp. hide isn't so... It's hard to even say which one is heavier but I'd say they're about the same. Vanson isn't that much heavier than Schott, anyway.

Thanks for the response. Would you be able to tell me if there is a difference in fit ? The Vanson looks boxier to me in the photos. Reviews of the 689H say slimmer tailored fit ?

ai00344

One of the Regulars
I’ve had a 689 for about 8 years now. Initially I wasn’t impressed with the horsehide as it seemed very plasticy but once it breaks in its nice. Very hard wearing jacket and it takes time and exposure to water to get it to crease up. It is definitely a tapered fit but I would recommend going with your usual size rather than one size up as Schott recommends. I went one size up and use it as a layering jacket as it’s really too big in the chest and shoulders for tshirt wear. I’ve never had an Enfield so I can’t help you there but one thing I have noticed is that they have a smallish collar if that’s something you like. Hope this helps.

Sonero

Practically Family
Received my 689H. I actually sized DOWN for the right fit because of the built in arm gussets. A size 36 had a pit to pit of 21 3/4 which for me is as wide as I want to go. The 38 my usual size had a 22" + ptp and a shoulder of 18+. Way too wide.
I think the fit is brilliant and I love the brass details. This jacket looks and feels amazing on me.
I do however feel it is seriously overpriced for the leather thickness you get. I can buy just as nice leather or better in Mexico where I do custom jackets but you won't get the Schott pattern which boils down to fit....and hardware. Sometimes those things matter as much as the leather. This is where Schott delivers. So yeah its pricey but in this case Schott has created and sells an original item made just about as good as you will find nowadays.
Vanson has a horrible problem returning emails. Another reason why I chose Schott. Their customer service is top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen