Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield

South

One of the Regulars
HD,

Has weather improved enough that we might be able to see some new pictures of that snappy jacket?

Mine still hasn't shipped, unfortunately.

Are you still enjoying the Enfield? Any new thoughts on it, compared to your other jackets?

Thanks!

South
It's 19 degrees outside with wind blowing our accumulation of snow around. Just can't bring myself to stand outside for pics yet.
As far as the Enfield...I have a dozen Aeros...and since the Vanson arrived it's the only jacket that I've been wearing. That's how much I like it. As I've posted before..the hide is exceptional. It is heavy leather..but extremely easy to wear. I'm no expert on jacket construction..but I have noticed a few things about this Enfield. When driving..the sleeves barely ride up. I noticed as soon as I got it that the back and sleeves didn't ride up much when sitting on my motorcycle. I can raise my arms up out to my sides..same thing! Perhaps that's why it seems so comfortable..the jacket just doesn't bind,pull or ride up..but moves with you. It is not a skin tight jacket like some Cafe type MC jackets tend to be...but still presents a nicely tailored appearance..in my view. I like the handwarmer pockets without zips(easier to slip hands in and out without snagging)....and since leather lined they add a double layer of leather to the front. Super hvy duty brass zips. I could go on and on. It IS my favorite jacket.
The only downside is,perhaps,the inside pockets. Although sturdy..they are on the lining and quite deep. Kinda hard to reach the bottom..but no biggy. However..I do prefer the the G-1 or gun type pockets as most of my Aeros have.
I do think that you will really like the Enfield.
In fact..I may have a few nice size 40 Aeros for sale soon....
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
Good comments, HD. Makes me wish mine would get here, but it will be at least three or four more weeks. The temperature here is a relatively balmy 26 degrees with the wind blowing the snow around. Unfortunately my wife just said she can hear that the snow has turned to ice. Not a good sign for sunny Middle Tennessee.

Peacoat
Did you get the brown or black steerhide? I'm anxious to see another members Enfield when one comes in,especially in brown. Who knows..I might need another one in brown for a change of pace(..isn't that awfull..what an addiction...). Also..since I purchased this jacket off of eBay..I am curious to see how the fit is for others. I really don't know if my jacket is a stock 42..or custom sized somewhat.
I was considering calling Vanson about their snap-in extra lining...but after wearing the jacket like it is...I'm not sure that I'd really need it..even on the bike. This leather is thick..and the rayon lining does a good job as well.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
I ordered the black, strictly for riding. I have several other non motorcycle specific jackets in brown, and am in the process of getting a russet brown Poughkeepsie contract from John. But first I need to get him to answer his email so I can send him a deposit. Yes, it is an addiction, but a fun and mostly harmless one.

Well, the icing has stopped here and it is back to straight snow, but the county snowplow just ran into our mailbox and knocked it over. Probably need to order a new jacket.

South

One of the Regulars
Glad to hear of your positive comments on the Enfield. If they would offer it in a nice brown, in the heavy steerhide, I'll order one of those, too. When I ordered mine, Larry said they only offer the brown in the lighter weight hide.

I wonder how susceptable to pestering they would be about offering that...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Peacoat
Did you get the brown or black steerhide? I'm anxious to see another members Enfield when one comes in,especially in brown. Who knows..I might need another one in brown for a change of pace(..isn't that awfull..what an addiction...). Also..since I purchased this jacket off of eBay..I am curious to see how the fit is for others. I really don't know if my jacket is a stock 42..or custom sized somewhat.
I was considering calling Vanson about their snap-in extra lining...but after wearing the jacket like it is...I'm not sure that I'd really need it..even on the bike. This leather is thick..and the rayon lining does a good job as well.
HD

HD -

Despite my previous comments about "my wife will kill me", I ended up cobbling together some cash and ordering an Enfield in a size 46 in the "Octagon" Brown/Tan leather. I decided to try it out because they actually had one in stock in this color - I normally wear a 44, but I had heard that it was best to go up a size with Vansons. Truthfully, I think I would have been happier in a 44 with this one.

I really hate to sound negative here, but I am 99% sure I will be sending this jacket back.

It's a very nice jacket, but I was very surprised to find that I was not overly impressed with it. The "Octagon" leather is thick with an oily finish, and it came to me with a number of large marks in it. The leather is soft and flexible with lots of wrinkles and grain. It is thick, but not Aero thick - overall, I think the leather quality pales in comparison with my Steerhide Aero Highwayman. However, it should be noted that a lot of this is just my opinion - they are both fine jackets, and I recognize that the things I dislike may be the very things that someone else completely loves.

To it's credit, this jacket is very functional - the sleeves are a perfect length for motorcycle riding, and they hit the first knuckle of my thumb. The zip cuffs work very well. My range of motion in this jacket is impressive, and I can easily lift my arms to reach the handlebars. As function goes, the Vanson is much "easier to wear" than my Highwayman (although the Vanson's softer thinner leather and action back make for a "no-contest" comparison).

I hope to have some pics up tomorrow evening with a better review. Even though I don't intend to keep the jacket, I think the pics and info might be useful to others as there aren't many reviews or pics of this jacket out there, especially in a non-standard color (ie., anything other than black).

Peacoat

Bartender
Jimmer, from what you are saying it sounds as if it is the type of leather you don't like? As I remember, the brown only comes in the light weight "Firenze" cow, but you noted you got the "Octagon" leather. Was that something they just happened to have on hand?

As to the size, you said you wear a 44. Was the 46 way too big? And do you normally like a fit without much loose material in your motorcycle jackets?

Jimmer...
Now I feel bad. Your experience is certainly different than mine..for sure. I am wondering too,tho, if some of these traits are more due to the "Octagon" hide. It would seem that there is more differences than just color compared to my black steer Enfield. Different tanning techniques for the Octagon leather?...or perhaps...as you say...maybe just simply different tastes. My Vanson black steerhide is different than Aero's steer...and certainly their Horsehide..but for me..in a good way. The hide on mine not only rivals..but surpasses any steerhide that I've seen on quality motorcycle jackets..vintage or new. The black steer doesn't have an oily or waxy finish..or even a soft spongy feel...but a relaxed grainy hide with the "already broken-in" polished appearance. I think a more natural look and feel than even Aero's "Vintage" hides.
In any event..I'm anxious to see pics of your jacket. Again...sorry to see you displeased. It was surely a surprise for me. Now if others follow suit...I'll know that somehow I must have just received an exceptional Vanson jacket...
HD

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Peacoat - The salesman at Vanson said that this one was their 'competition weight' cowhide, but if I didn't know better I might have thought it was the Firenze weight. I think you are roght that a lot of what I am reacting tois the type of leather - and from what I can telll, my negative reaction seems to be a pretty rare thing. As size is concerned, it's not way too big, but it feels like I coud have gotten it a size down and had a trimmer fit. Truth be told, I like a little closer fit in a motorcycle jacket - I think it would be fair to say that another person would have liked the way it fits. Overall I just felt like there was a bit too much material in the body and arms. I'm a pretty true size 44, but a lot of dedicated MC jackets that I have tried on have been undersized - hence my decision to try out a 46.

HD - Nothing to feel bad about - I really wanted to check out a Vanson and see what all the fuss was about. Ordering a jacket without getting to try it on and handle it is always a risk. I was expecting a smoother, stiffer type of leather more like an Aero. The Vanson definitely feels already broken in, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I am genuinely happy that you like yours so much, and I would bet that Peacoat will be happy with his as well.

As I said before, the jacket was still very nice and extremely functional. I'm just not wild about the leather type, the fit and a few elements of the cut - for example, the shoulders have just a touch of upward curve. It's also tough to give a fair evaluation of a jacket that I feel is oversized - the jacket probably comes off worse than it should because of this. I will make sure and post pics later - I think that will be more helpful than my attempts at explanation.

jchosko

Familiar Face
Enfield

Hi folks:

I just recently purchased a Vanson Enfield in the regular black competition weight leather and am amazed at the quality and fit--I can't stop wearing it even though I have many many leather jackets...I bought it used off of my local craigslist, but the seller told me it's the stock version. He was also selling a custom Mercury, which my friend purchased. I probably wear an off the rack 40-41, and the Enfield is a size 42, and fits great.

So I have now seen, worn, and handled four Vanson jackets. I once bought a new Mercury in the Firenze medium weight black leather and was underwhelmed by the quality of the hide--I ultimately sold it. It felt too thin, and a little 'dry' for lack of a better term. What amazes me about the Enfield that I just purchased is its overwhelming heft. Oddly, it is much heavier and thicker feeling than the Mercury that my friend purchased that is also the same competition weight hide; and it's also much thicker feeling than my Vanson Comet which is also the competition weight hide (the Comet is as far as I know a stock 44, but fits like a 42). Part of this i think is due to the fact that the wind flap is super thick (two layers of the competition weight hide sewn together) which adds to the overall weight of the jacket, and the pockets are all leather lined (unlike the Mercury and Comet), but it also just seems much thicker than the Comet and Mercury, pockets and windflaps notwithstanding. I don't know if this is true of all the Enfields, or if mine is a fluke in terms of the thickness of the particular hide(s) used to make it.

One thing that struck me as a little strange about the Enfield is that the sleeve zippers and pulls are brass colored, but the main zipper pull is chrome, and the piece at the bottom the whole zipper that the non-pull side slides into is black plastic. This is not the case on my Comet (but I think my Comet might be slightly older because it has the cotton plaid lining versus the black lining that seems standard now). It doesn't bother me, but it does seem a little odd.

The weight of the hide is incredible. I have an Aero HG-5 in the black FQHH and the Enfield is much thicker leather, and a significantly heavier jacket. I also have a couple of Fox Creek Leather jackets (Fox Creek makes some amazing stuff) that were up until I handled the Enfield the heaviest and thickest leathers I had seen in a jacket (also thicker and heavier than the Aero FQHH). I'd say the Enfield is perhaps a tad thicker than the Fox Creek, but it's a little hard to tell because the Fox Creek Leather is quite a bit softer and a less heavily finished naked cowhide.

One thing I will say about Vansons in my experience is that they are very squeaky/creaky jackets. I happen to like the sound of creaking leather (as I'm sure most of us here do), but it's definitely very noticeable. Overall, I am overwhelmingly impressed by the quality of the Vanson competition weight jackets. The workmanship is top-notch (as good as Aero in my limited experience with them--just the HG-5), the hides are incredible, and the cuts classic.

Anyway, I just wanted to add a little to the thread. This has been less a review than a sort of random outpouring of thoughts on my experience with Vanson of late, but I hope it's helpful to anyone contemplating purchasing a Vanson, and thinking about Firenze vs. competition weight leathers...and wondering about the relative heft/weight/thickness of Aero FQHH and Vanson's competition weight hide. I would heartily recommend checking out Vanson without any reservations with regard to quality or craftsmanship.

Maybe I'll get around to posting some pics to this thread of my Enfield and Comet.

Peacoat

Bartender
Jchosko, thanks for the comments. I am iced/snowed in here tonight and it is good to hear positive reviews about motorcycle jackets. I can only think about putting one on and getting out and riding.

I have spent several hours today Pecarding some of my motorcycle jackets that needed attention. That's about as close as I can get to riding this weekend with snow and ice on the roads.

Glad you like the Enfield. Hope my experience with the Enfield is as good as yours when mine gets here. And yes, please post some pics of you wearing it.

jchosko

Familiar Face
peacoat, thanks for the response. what jackets are you pecarding today? i haven't used pecard's myself yet...but am a big fan of obenauf's--if for no other reason than the amazing honey smell!

hope the snow and ice let up soon so you can get out and ride!

Jchosko
I think that I saw that Vanson Enfield that you purchased on Craigslist. Good price!
The front zip on my Enfield is all heavy brass marked "V" Vanson...and no plastic. Sounds like a zipper replacement on the used jacket,perhaps.
Another difference..mine doesn't squeak or creak at all...!
HD

jchosko

Familiar Face
Hoosierdaddy:

I definitely know the Enfield you got, as I was watching that auction myself ;)

Interesting that it doesn't squeak at all! My Comet, Enfield, and my friend's Mercury all squeak quite a bit! Probably more than any other brands of leathers that I own...

If you saw someone selling the Enfield and Mercury on the SF/BayArea craigslist recently then you did indeed see the one I bought. It was an excellent price, I'm still amazed by it!

The black plastic zipper base has the "V" for Vanson on it, and my friend's Mercury has it as well, so I'm not sure if it's a replacement or not--and the original owner didn't mention that it had ever had repairs done to it (the Mercury was hardly worn). I wonder if the plastic zipper base was something that Vanson just briefly used...perhaps too many people complained about it? It does seem like a cheap part on an otherwise top-notch jacket.

One thing I particularly like about the Enfield is the angled chest pocket and the tasteful chain pull--it gives the jacket a very distinctive look. Wear it in good health!

Peacoat

Bartender
Jchosko: Today I did a Fox Creek in cowhide, a German Police jacket in goat and a Pakistani jacket in cow. The Pakistani is well made with relatively thick cowhide that has two layers in the elbows and shoulders. It also has vents for warmer riding. I had forgotten I had it until today when I was digging through the bottom of my closet to see what I could find. The other leather jackets were still in good shape.

I also use Obenauf's, but only on my boots. As the main ingredient is beeswax I imagine it would be fine for jackets as well. Pecard is a little lighter and easier to work with, though. We have gotten a bit off topic here, and will probably get in trouble with the Bartenders. Cheers.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
For what it's worth, the Enfield that I have has brass finish zippers, and the the piece at the bottom when the left side of the zipper starts is black plastic. I noticed this as well but forgot to mention it.

Peacoat

Bartender
HD: I wonder if they are talking about the Heat Seal Patch, which is the laminated material fused to the bottom end of the zipper, used to reinforce the tape? It would be on the bottom left side of the zipper tape, at the pin, where the slider starts to mesh with the teeth. That's what it sounds like to me.

Peacoat said:
HD: I wonder if they are talking about the Heat Seal Patch, which is the laminated material fused to the bottom end of the zipper, used to reinforce the tape? It would be on the bottom left side of the zipper tape, at the pin, where the slider starts to mesh with the teeth. That's what it sounds like to me.

Peacoat
Maybe so! On my zipper everything is hvy brass..puller...box...teeth...male pin...and then,of course,material backing attaching zip to jacket. However..on bottom end of zip material rather than tape or fusing of some kind..there is what seems a hard plastic type "end" below each side(under box and male pin side). Really it seems a much better set up than the normal fused finish at the bottom of many zips. It is a hard black plastic like peice...but thin enough to be sewn through. looks like that tough flat black plastic that is kind of flexible and not apt to crack. Sure seems alot sturdier and looks like it would practically eliminate ever splitting or tearing the material at the bottom. If that is what they are talking about(except these ends don't have a V for Vanson on them)..seems possibly an improvement to me.
HD

...Thing is...since I got my Vanson from eBay...although it looked brand new...I really don't know when it was made or how old it is. It is a possibility that the new ones are now made with plastic male pins(jimmer does says his new Enfield has the plastic pin). It also does seem kinda odd making a jacket with brass sleeve zips..but then a silver main zip pull as jchosko's used Enfield. Perhaps you might want to call Vanson and ask them details about their newest zip set ups,Peacoat.
HD

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24