Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Horsehide

Working_Man

New in Town
I'm not sure what size to tell you to get, I'm 5'11" tall and weigh 180 lbs, I have a 33" waist and not too much fat (I have a job that keeps me fairly fit) Vanson size 42 fits me well. I think that a size 42 might be a little large on you and you might need to have it custom fitted to you. Vanson makes a fine product but contact with them is a pain in the ass. I suggest you find a dealer nearest you and try an enfield on, it would be worth the drive. Here are a few photos of the size 42 horsehide on me:
2004_0113magrack0006.jpg

2004_0113magrack0007.jpg

2004_0113magrack0004.jpg

2004_0113magrack0003.jpg

Working Man

dormicica

New in Town
Enfield fit

Thanks again, Working Man, now for the pics, the jacket certainly looks nice on your build. You may well be right size 42 is too large for my height. The problem is that I live in Hungary, Central Europe – Vanson is absolutely not available here, and the Enfield is much too expensive for me to choose it by a sort of trial and error process. At least the process did not work with Schott 689 Horsehide, I purchased size 42, it was too loose, then I purchased size 40, it was too tight on my shoulders and waist, now I have to sell both for a lot less then retail price.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
WM,

Glad I saw this thread. I've been looking for something like this and was spying some A2 style jackets.

I've been using a TourMaster synthetic with armor, but would like something for just puttering around the neighborhood like down to the drug store or coffee shop.

I have not seen these jackets at CycleGear or at the Honda dealerships. Where did you get the jacket at and do they give AMA or HRC discount?

Thanks,

M8

P.S. Hard left turn is cutting my engine out. Looks like I'll be re-routing the choke cable today.

Working_Man

New in Town
Oh Hungary, I guess that would be quite a drive, sorry, I thought you were in the States :eusa_doh: I know that Vanson will custom make raceing leathers, but If they won't return your emails that is a problem, you might try calling them and ask about getting a jacket custom fitted, I don't know if they do that on this style of jacket or not, but it might be worth a try and if they do you know it will fit correctly.
Working Man

Working_Man

New in Town
M8, I had a vanson dealer special order mine, most won't stock the horsehide models, They don't make many and it takes a while unless you get lucky and they have one in stock in your size. Most cycle dealers will order you one or you can order from Vanson directly. I didn't get any discount and had to pay in advance, it took almost a year:( One thing about this jacket it's thick horsehide and feels like a suit of armor and will take some breaking in to feel comfortable, also the black ones have a polished finish and the brown and red ones are an oil pressed finish. http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=356
Working Man

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
WM,

Yikes! Sticker shock on the price tag. I'm not sure I would want to damage the jacket if I drop with the bike. Maybe I'll just stick with the synthetic for riding.

However, that is a cool looking jacket, so I'd probably like it for dressing up in what my wife calls my thug-wear dress category.

Thanks for the link.

M8

dormicica

New in Town
thanks for the info

sorry, Working Man, I was away for a while. Thanks for the useful insight! It seems ordering an Enfield from here is quite a challenge so I postpone it for a while. I am now anxiously waiting the arrival of the black FQHH zip sleeve Aero Highwayman I won on eBay 2 months ago with the opportunity to have it custom tailored. I hope it will meet all my hopes and needs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran