Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson leather choices

Anybody have any thoughts about Vanson's medium weight "Firenze" leather vs their "Competition weight" leather?
Thinking of getting one of their jackets, (Either the "Ike" or the "Enfield"). I don't ride a motorcycle, so don't need the protection of their "competition weight" leather.

jchosko

Familiar Face
I once owned a Mercury in the Firenze leather, and found the leather to be very dull and cheap feeling, and sold the jacket. I currently own both an Enfield and a Model A in the competition weight leather, and can say with no reservations that it is some of the nicest leather I've seen used in a jacket. FWIW, I don't ride a motorcycle either, and don't find the very heavy weight of the competition weight to be a real issue.

Peacoat

Bartender
One of our members got the Firenze and wasn't impressed with it. It may have been South who got the Firenze in the brown. If he reads this, he will let us know.

Even if you don't ride, the competition weight will give good protection from both gunshots and knives, if you frequent the type of places where that is likely to occur. If not, you will still have a high quality and comfortable jacket, after breakin, that develops a nice patina over time. I have seen older Vansons that have developed great character, even for a black jacket. It must be the way the thick leather breaks in and develops the patina after a lot of wear.

Peacoat said:
One of our members got the Firenze and wasn't impressed with it. It may have been South who got the Firenze in the brown. If he reads this, he will let us know.

Even if you don't ride, the competition weight will give good protection from both gunshots and knives, if you frequent the type of places where that is likely to occur. If not, you will still have a high quality and comfortable jacket, after breakin, that develops a nice patina over time. I have seen older Vansons that have developed great character, even for a black jacket. It must be the way the thick leather breaks in and develops the patina after a lot of wear.

Actually, I spend a fair amount of time in Oakland (CA), so it probably would come in handy. lol

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Vanson leather choice

you cannot go wrong with and will be delighted with a Vanson competition weight jacket...I have had one for several years. can't imagine a better jacket...have also had Fox Creek...Legendary horsehide...Schott...US Authentic...all fine jackets but the Vanson is the prize....

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
pjstrass said:
you cannot go wrong with and will be delighted with a Vanson competition weight jacket...I have had one for several years. can't imagine a better jacket...have also had Fox Creek...Legendary horsehide...Schott...US Authentic...all fine jackets but the Vanson is the prize....

Hey PJ, don't suppose you have a pic or two of the jacket? ...would love to see it.

Navin323i

Practically Family
I'm really digging the Vanson Enfield jackets in general. Ideally I would like to get one in their "Octagon" color which is basically an orangey-rust color that I personally think looks great, but I'm not sure if the Octagon color was specific to a particular Vanson hide like their horsehide or something.

Navin323i said:
I'm really digging the Vanson Enfield jackets in general. Ideally I would like to get one in their "Octagon" color which is basically an orangey-rust color that I personally think looks great, but I'm not sure if the Octagon color was specific to a particular Vanson hide like their horsehide or something.

I've only seen "Octagon" on their cow hide jackets. But then, haven't seen all that many horsehide Vanson's either.

I purchased a Vanson "Ike" jacket in Octagon.
I really like the color.
The leather is their basic "competition weight" cow hide leather.
When I asked Vanson about the leather, they noted that it is "tanned more to take that color then the straight black so the colored leather is softer then the black heavy weight leather."

Don't be fooled.
"Softer" is purely a relative term here. lol
The leather has more than enough stiffness to it. Not as much as Aero's FWHH, but if that is a "9.5" in stiffness, this is an 8 or 8.5.
"Bulletproof", as Peacoat alluded to.
I can stand it up on the floor without any problem.

It feels great...wouldn't change a thing about it. Should break in just fine.

The Japanese Vanson site has some good pics of jackets with the Octagon colored leather;

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=s&sc=ca1

Every photo I've seen of it makes it look a bit "oranger" than it looks in person. Including these.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Hi Jeff. I am wondering if you bought the Ike factory direct or elsewhere. I really like that style and currently have one in black on order. Love to see some pictures of yours.

Mike

Navin323i

Practically Family
Jeff M said:
I've only seen "Octagon" on their cow hide jackets. But then, haven't seen all that many horsehide Vanson's either.

I purchased a Vanson "Ike" jacket in Octagon.
I really like the color.
The leather is their basic "competition weight" cow hide leather.
When I asked Vanson about the leather, they noted that it is "tanned more to take that color then the straight black so the colored leather is softer then the black heavy weight leather."

Don't be fooled.
"Softer" is purely a relative term here. lol
The leather has more than enough stiffness to it. Not as much as Aero's FWHH, but if that is a "9.5" in stiffness, this is an 8 or 8.5.
"Bulletproof", as Peacoat alluded to.
I can stand it up on the floor without any problem.

It feels great...wouldn't change a thing about it. Should break in just fine.

The Japanese Vanson site has some good pics of jackets with the Octagon colored leather;

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=s&sc=ca1

Every photo I've seen of it makes it look a bit "oranger" than it looks in person. Including these.

Could you post some pics (if you haven't already) of your Vanson Ike in Octagon? I was glancing at that jacket style today for the first time on Vanson's site... looks good! :)

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I know this is an old thread......But just got a Vanson model B ( America jacket ) last week. I went to there factory and ordered it, it was delivered in 12 weeks. WOW!!! Totally Awesome!!! Its the competition weight leather and its 8 pounds of very serious hide. I wore it on the bike a handful of times ( hot in the northeast lately ), around the house...watching TV, matter of fact I have it on now. Love this jacket!! I'll try to get some pics up ( not really my thing ) and a better write up at a later date. GO VANSON !!!

My original Vanson E is the single jacket, in a sea of ebb and flow of preference, fit concerns etc.,that has survived my whimsical jacket choices. Would love to see some pics of that one, don't see too many. In any event...Congrats!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
They build excellent products...and I agree with the now old comments about the competetion weight vs the mid-weight leathers posted earlier. Once broken in, nothing quite like them especially for the $$$.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi Mike.

Bought it direct from Vanson through their web site, dealing with Nicole.
They happened to have one ready to go in my size.
It will take a while to break in, but once it softens up, it is a nice jacket to wear. I think my Enfield in competition weight took about a year to become comfortable both on the MC and off. Mine also has developed some nice graining.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Congrats! My favorite jacket is still my reddish tan HH Enfield. Always get nice comments from the ladies when I wear it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo