Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Sale

I know you previously listed your jacket lineup and needed a crosszip to fill a void. Is this Vanson the one that puts you into “retirement “?
p.s. damn nice jacket
I want to say yes. I really do. But…..I have a sordid past.
The next jacket is always the last jacket…until
It isn’t. LOL. But for now I am at rest. I still have a crusty Halfbelt coming to restore and occupy my time. It better get here quick.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Vanson is now selling the X-Men Wolverine jacket directly, for anyone who was interested but scared of Logan's Closet limbo lol. Per the copy, they made it for the film so this isn't a case of ripping off Logan's IP.

EDIT: Realized that one big difference is that this will be made of current comp weight, not the 90s comp weight.

Does anyone know if the modern brown comp weight is better than the modern black?
I've got plans to order a custom Vanson (stock model and size just different leather). I think it will be just fine.
I just can't decide between Navy, BRG or the Dark brown.
Image1.jpg

The CW is a bit smooth (corrected look) for my taste but while I don't have the "old" comp weight I also don't think it was some unicorn leather either.
I am pretty sure these are the "motochap" 3.5oz chrome tanned semi aniline/pigment leather that most US motorcycle jacket makers would use. And they are very high quality stuff. I don't know why Vanson went the waterproofed smooth CW route, but the full grain motochap leather is already very good. That's the stuff Langlitz uses and Johnson use that too. I've got a used Vanson that's made in this leather and look (blow it up) at the pics a few post back, it's very good stuff.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got plans to order a custom Vanson (stock model and size just different leather). I think it will be just fine.
I just can't decide between Navy, BRG or the Dark brown.
View attachment 468996
The CW is a bit smooth (corrected look) for my taste but while I don't have the "old" comp weight I also don't think it was some unicorn leather either.
I am pretty sure these are the "motochap" 3.5oz chrome tanned semi aniline/pigment leather that most US motorcycle jacket makers would use. And they are very high quality stuff. I don't know why Vanson went the waterproofed smooth CW route, but the full grain motochap leather is already very good. That's the stuff Langlitz uses and Johnson use that too. I've got a used Vanson that's made in this leather and look (blow it up) at the pics a few post back, it's very good stuff.

How much does a leather switch cost?

I'm not clear on how Vanson sizing is supposed to work. Does one order his chest measurement?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

I'm not clear on how Vanson sizing is supposed to work. Does one order his chest measurement?
Don't know the cost yet. But from what I read here the custom cost is very reasonable (under hundred bucks? over stock) I will find out when I go through the process.

Sizing, it depends how you like it to fit. For example, I have a Highwayman E in size 44. The P2P is 23.5" and hem is 22". Vanson says this model is 6.5" chest ease. So 44+6.5=50.5" around the chest. I know, 2x23.5 is only 47", where is the remaining 3.5" from? Well, the action pleats at the back is 1.75" each side, so at full stretch, the number adds up to 50.5".
Generally speaking, size 42 Vanson is 22.5" P2P, so TTS. They do have both 70s and 80s fits, 70s is almost a size slimmer than the 80s. On their website they also give exact sleeve length (include half shoulder, like dress shirt sleeve length measurement), and bottom sweep / hem. Vanson fits with no surprise. I would wear my suit size (TTS) or one up to fit a thick snap in liner in between.

MrProper

Don't know the cost yet. But from what I read here the custom cost is very reasonable (under hundred bucks? over stock

I had once asked the useless Nick for a custom Oxford and got as an answer that this costs $250 extra. But there would have been changed not only the leather, but also the dimensions. Probably only a leather change is cheaper.

Stupidly, I never got an answer to another question and thus I do not own a Vanson.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I had once asked the useless Nick for a custom Oxford and got as an answer that this costs $250 extra. But there would have been changed not only the leather, but also the dimensions. Probably only a leather change is cheaper.

Stupidly, I never got an answer to another question and thus I do not own a Vanson.
That's quite a bit upcharge, I would expect less for just leather swap but I am not sure.
Yeah, Nick would be the one I will be contacting. He helped me with my past Vanson purchases. All stock jackets during their past sales. Never a custom. And I've always called him or he called me to get things done. They're not as good at emails as some other brands. Old school phone calls.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab

They have the exact numbers for a size 42 on their website. From there it is simple math to figure our dimensions for other sizes. I have a 39“ chest, size 40 usually is large on me, size 38 is a good (but not overly tight) fit, size 36 very snug but wearable. If between sizes, definitely pick the size down.

El Marro

@jacketjunkie What are their shoulder measurements usually like? Tempted to drop a size to reduce the chest ease but I don't want to end up with narrow shoulders.
I think you might find the shoulders too tight if you drop down a size. Almost all of my Vanson jackets are size 46, with a couple 48’s, and I find the shoulders are tighter than the chest in every case.

Aloysius

I think you might find the shoulders too tight if you drop down a size. Almost all of my Vanson jackets are size 46, with a couple 48’s, and I find the shoulders are tighter than the chest in every case.

This was my thinking. I feel like I'd be throwing aside Vanson's vaunted patterning if I downsized.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
size 42 18.5" shoulder 22.5" P2P
size 44 19" shoulder 23.5" P2P

so size 40 my best guess is 18" shoulder 21.5" P2P. Inline with other brands. Plus most models have action backs. Stay away from the small chest ease models and I think you'd be fine.

I'm contemplating whether or not to give firenze a try. Just read some conflicting info. Some say 2.5oz some say 3oz.

Aloysius

size 42 18.5" shoulder 22.5" P2P
size 44 19" shoulder 23.5" P2P

so size 40 my best guess is 18" shoulder 21.5" P2P. Inline with other brands. Plus most models have action backs. Stay away from the small chest ease models and I think you'd be fine.

I'm contemplating whether or not to give firenze a try. Just read some conflicting info. Some say 2.5oz some say 3oz.

Which model are you looking at? Most I've seen are saying 6.5" chest ease, so the 42 is presumably 24.25" P2P right?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Which model are you looking at? Most I've seen are saying 6.5" chest ease, so the 42 is presumably 24.25" P2P right?
I am getting the B. I want the House B, but I don't think they have it anymore. I tried them on before but passed it on, dumb of me. I am quite certain the size 42 will have 22.5" P2P no matter what the chest ease number is. Just stay away from the continental fits 3.5 to 4 chest ease I think those are like slim straight Japanese jackets. Most Vanson is gonna be about 5 to 7 chest ease and they're just about perfect.

Here is my Bones in size 42, P2P 22.5"
IMG_0844.JPG

And my Highwayman size 44 has 23.5" P2P
IMG_0845.JPG

Vanson has a lot of mobility / range of motion, so I think that's what the chest ease means. Total maximum, but the way we measure won't reflect that. On the models with the action pleats I can get that total number when I add up all the pleats and chest. But the flat track jacket is built well enough to hide those small stretchs so I cannot show them in the photo but they are very functional.

When I last ordered my Vansons I tried on 40 / 42 / 44 in many different models. I can't really put the 40 on because the shoulder is slim, but most 42 works just fine, and some models I go up to 44 for layering. If you wear Schott one star size 42, I am quite certain you'd wear the B, C or E in size 42 too.

If you have doubt about size, or are in between size, order both size and send back the one you don't want. The luxury of being in the States. It's still 25 dollars flat rate shipping right? It's about 60 bucks for me to send stuff down now and it used to be 45 to 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot