Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Star Jacket Review

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This is a thread I promised myself I would do someday, if I ever got my hands on a Vanson Star Jacket again.

Turns out that occurred recently, and it's been a fun, but abrupt reminder of why this style of jacket simply does not work with my body type, at least at this time in my life.

But before we get to the nitty-gritty, let's talk about what a Star Jacket is. This is, as per Vanson's website - the upper half of a flat-track motorcycle suit. What is a "flat track suit?" Well that leads us to a larger question - What is flat tack racing?

It is in fact - Dirt track racing - at speeds up to 140 mph on the straights and 90 mph around curves. Dirt-style motorcycles with knobby tires, more upright of build, and this type of racing has existed in some for for over 100 years.
Here's an extensive article on this type of motorcycle racing - https://www.americanflattrack.com/about
And here's what it looks like, from the same website:

1673752911467.png

I of course knew none of this when I first spotted a Vanson Star Jacket in 2001 in a small motorcycle shop outside of Chicago. I just thought it looked cool, and I knew Vanson was a quality product. As I recall, the shop had it priced around $300 and gave me a $50 discount for it with no hesitation. Funny, now that same jacket is $999 on Vanson's website.

So this one featured below recently came into my world. It's promptly restored both some passion for getting back on a bike, but it has also reminded me I am not a young man like I was in 2001. This jacket is really cool, even still today. The "star" is actually 2-additional layers of leather on top of the black competition weight. This jacket is rayon lined, with a simply "bead" collar. There is so much intricate leatherwork on the outside of this jacket, it really does not surprise me that it costs ~$250+ more than a Vanson Model E. There are also several nice patches sewed on, this all takes quite a bit of time to accomplish. THis jacket has two inside pockets (only) and 2-zippered vents at the back as can bee seen below.

DSC_0685.JPG

Looking at this photo after I put it on here, I do not really understand the "ribbed" back panel. There is not a zipper anywhere inside for attaching the track pants either, so somewhat of a mystery to me as to how this system really works.

I personally love the multi-color sleeves. The blue used here is really unique, more of a dark steel blue, and it's unique to this jacket as I understand. I think a model E Vanson in this same blue competition weight would be very sharp. This jacket is certainly older, not exactly sure the production date, but it's some really nice leather now that it is cleaned up.

If you look closely into these front photos you will still see some residue around some of the letters. This jacket was not clean when it arrived, and it's been through a wash cycle. I gave it a preliminary treatment for moisturizing after it was slowly dried out at room temperature. When the Urad products I purchased from Dena at Great Leather arrive later this week, I will give it a more full treatment. It does say something about the durability of old comp weight, as it came through all that and still looks and feels quite nice.

DSC_0681.JPG DSC_0695.JPG DSC_0696.JPG

Here is where things get a bit funny. Being a Flat-Track top-suit design, it is incredibly short waisted. Check out these dimensions:
Back length - 20.5"
Front Length (straight down zipper to hem) - 18.5"
Shoulders - 19"
Pit to Pit - 23"
Sleeve (around curve, these are quite curved) - 26.5"

So how does that translate to me? :)

DSC_0701.JPG DSC_0697.JPG

And I'll call this out a little closer here -- I am wearing the highest-wasted pair of jeans I own - Wrangler Cowboy cut. Check this out - see my tee shirt?

Gap_01.JPG

I simply will not go out in public looking this way. Maybe I'll invest in a track-racking motorcycle and start training up. However, I tend to doubt this is going to occur. I think it's been a fun experiment, and it gave me (and hopefully some of you all) a laugh or two along the way. I will be moving this Star along later this week after I get it fully treated. Expect to see it in the classified in a week or two.

Thanks for reading along!

Oh and in case you were wondering how it is un-zipped, well I did that too... :)

DSC_0703.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0699.JPG
    DSC_0699.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 152
Yeah these jackets don’t make a whole lot of sense to me. They look cool laying flat. But without the second half of the suit, seems totally out of place. I’m surprised there isn’t a zipper to attach the pants! That seems really weird as the jacket is entirely too short to offer any protection on its own.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Great review. I briefly owned one of these and like you mentioned, they're crazy short. At least the older ones are. New ones that are sold today are longer. Size 42 now has a 24" back.

Also note the curved sleeves.

14DE555E-E687-4396-8D51-13EF065EDDFB.jpeg

E8CA960D-E6CA-499A-A6B9-D2738B2FFC8D.jpeg

EE711150-BCB2-4008-BF6A-C4767D4C0669.jpeg

I searched for pics of guys wearing one outside of the dirt track because I wondered whether wearing these short body style jackets casually would make any sense.

This guy kind of pulls it off.

E3696F6F-197E-4D9D-ACC8-D9B7E291160F.jpeg
431B2556-6AB3-49C1-B476-A80E73D1204A.jpeg
C0050717-2EE0-4F89-92A0-FDE6D6A6974E.jpeg

Randy, the way you've taken these photos would make literally any jacket look weird and the best part, while short, this Star doesn't even look bad on you. Star is a statement piece and you got to wear it as such. This one fits you to a tee. Unzip it, stand at ease, throw a denim shirt under it, walk like you don't care.

One that I had, same one @Marc mndt posted pics of was actually too small for me. It was like women's jacket, so restrictive I couldn't even bend my arms. But I liked it still and would love to get another one in my size.

Vanson has lately been advertising it a lot but they insist on their models wearing it over-sized which also makes it look good.

Either way, you can't wear this jacket the way you'd wear your Half-Belt. Something's got to change.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks for the great write up and being such a good sport about it. Cool looking jacket, but built with a purpose in mind. You would be the talk of the town if you wore that to the local farm market. lol.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Randy for another fun and informative write up… Also a nod to Mark who is always at the ready with good information….It might be a good jacket to pin up on the wall in your study if does not sell.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Randy, the way you've taken these photos would make literally any jacket look weird and the best part, while short, this Star doesn't even look bad on you. Star is a statement piece and you got to wear it as such. This one fits you to a tee. Unzip it, stand at ease, throw a denim shirt under it, walk like you don't care.

One that I had, same one @Marc mndt posted pics of was actually too small for me. It was like women's jacket, so restrictive I couldn't even bend my arms. But I liked it still and would love to get another one in my size.

Vanson has lately been advertising it a lot but they insist on their models wearing it over-sized which also makes it look good.

Either way, you can't wear this jacket the way you'd wear your Half-Belt. Something's got to change.
Ha! Thanks Monitor - I did something rather similar this evening. I went to Home Depot with this on over a hooded sweatshirt, un-zipped. Didn't even think it would fit that way but it did. No odd comments, or even stares. It's kind-of fun to wear, and I plan to wear it occasionally to gym, etc. "Test Public Reaction" is a phrase I used to use with motorcycle jackets, especially with my very beloved, long-lost "size 46" original Star jacket. :)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
its a cool collarless racing jacket, wear it like a rockstar like Monitor suggest, you can not dress this one up into smart casual nor dress it like a workwear its not a workwear it is designated racing star wear , untuck your shirt partially , wear shades or tinted glasses, put on beads or chain wristband, some rings perhaps, and don't care about public reaction.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Extremely cool jacket but I think it would be too embarrassing to wear it as a someone who doesn't spend days riding on a track.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I love these jackets, just as classic as a cross zip but from the sporting side of the railroad tracks. The ribbing on the back is a stretch panel, and it lets you tuck when your in the full suit.
I think what happened with these, is that riders would just use the jacket half of the suit, then other riders wanted just the jacket half to wear on the street so they started selling just the top half, with no zipper since they didn’t have the mating pants. I have one of these with a flying wheel on the back. I don’t think it has a waist zipper either.
AE08D87B-2EC5-430A-91D8-9CE338671CF3.jpeg
FECC8DA6-EBBD-484E-9EAA-98794698C764.jpeg
B04AE4CC-A699-4EF6-BEC2-297917C4AFA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112