Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Yeah, can't say I'm particularly pleased about the wait but it is what it is. I assume non custom sized jackets probably move through their production queues quicker
Just speculating here, but I'd guess they set up to make a run a particular jacket and then switch gears to make make a bunch of the the next model. If that's the case, when a custom size comes in, they'd probably get around to it when they would be scheduled to make the next run of that particular model. So say now it's January, they're making a bunch of Manx jackets, in a week they switch over to sport riders with adjustable waist bands, then another switch and they're building vented sports riders. The model you want a custom of is scheduled to go into production in June maybe, so they tell you a 5 month wait.

That's how I'd do it, you can't go halting a production line for one offs, you'd never get anything done making jackets onesy twosey. Just my speculation of course. ‍♂️

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I actually have on my hard drive a collection of photos i found on a korean website of that vanson swedish cop jacket from every angle, every detail photographed. I've thought about sending them to shawn at five star to see if he could make anything from them. I can send them to you too if you want

Edit: actually I'll just post them here, maybe someone out there can revive this great jacket. At work ATM but will post when i get back home

So... I actually bought the last Swedish model that was on Ebay a couple weeks ago, in the tobacco leather. I'd been wanting a swedish model for literally years. I couldn't resist that leather...

I'm still in the market for competition leather Swedish jacket when the right one comes along!

And I have a canvas Swedish Tanker milsurp jacket I picked up years ago before they got super trendy and prices went into insanity levels...

image.jpg

I guess I've been a coat guy for a while...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm curious about "deer tanned cow", they offer it on their site(in a couple jackets in their "metropolitan collection"), and one of the members here gave it a good review a little while back. Anyone have any info on/experience with that?
It’s really nice stuff. My C2RN which I ordered through Butterscotch is made from this leather. Soft and supple right out of the box there is no need for any break in.
Somebody said it is similar to Schott’s naked cowhide but I do not have any experience with that hide so I can’t confirm.

Schambach

Practically Family
It’s really nice stuff. My C2RN which I ordered through Butterscotch is made from this leather. Soft and supple right out of the box there is no need for any break in.
Somebody said it is similar to Schott’s naked cowhide but I do not have any experience with that hide so I can’t confirm.
Right on, I think yours was the good review I remembered. You were getting it altered right? Love to see more of it when you get it back.

Aloysius

Have you ever handled Vanson’s horsehide? If so, how does it compare in feel and look? I saw a cool old Vanson jacket photo but it was horsehide in the pic and I know the modern comp weight won’t substitute well if I pick it for ordering the same model.

El Marro

Right on, I think yours was the good review I remembered. You were getting it altered right? Love to see more of it when you get it back.
+2 , Would also like to see it and a possible write-up.
Well then it must be done!
I got the jacket back from the tailor a while ago, and I am quite happy with it. It has not seen much wear yet but I will get some photos together and do a little write up for you guys.

El Marro

Have you ever handled Vanson’s horsehide? If so, how does it compare in feel and look? I saw a cool old Vanson jacket photo but it was horsehide in the pic and I know the modern comp weight won’t substitute well if I pick it for ordering the same model.
I happen to own a Vanson Colorado from the early 2000’s in brown horsehide. I picked it up second (or third) hand here on the lounge a few years ago.
The deer tanned cow is much different than the old horsehide, it is both thicker and softer. The horsehide feels more durable, as if it were made to be a comp weight horsehide. It is stuffed with a ton of oil and has a bit of pull up, although it is subtle.

El Marro

I happen to own a Vanson Colorado from the early 2000’s in brown horsehide. I picked it up second (or third) hand here on the lounge a few years ago.
The deer tanned cow is much different than the old horsehide, it is both thicker and softer. The horsehide feels more durable, as if it were made to be a comp weight horsehide. It is stuffed with a ton of oil and has a bit of pull up, although it is subtle.
I have a minor correction to make here: the deer tanned cow is not any thicker than the horsehide. it is ”spongier” and that gave me the illusion of extra thickness when compared to the horse.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
It is, I really like the button version because the old swedish jackets were button up. It's also a better fitting size than the one that I currently have. If I end up with this one, I'd be pretty tempted to put my tobacco varient up for sale.

ZeroDelta

New in Town
I didn't place the order directly with Vanson (instead through Thurston brothers) but I've been waiting for like 7 months now. It was custom sized and has been stuck in the "patterning" queue.

I assume y'all be waiting some time if you get any sort of group order going.
7 months is rough. I just ordered a jacket through them in November. I hope I am not going to have to wait that long.

Aloysius

FWIW, my most recent "custom" Vanson order is the Wolverine jacket. I got one through their website during the holiday sale. Nick got back to me and said it wasn't in stock and that they would have to make it, so it's sort of custom in that sense.

Yeah it says it’ll be made on order on their site. I nearly ordered it during that same sale, but stepped back because I was concerned it wouldn’t have the right look in CW. I called Vanson and they said they’ll send me leather swatches of their other stuff so I’m looking forward to seeing those and placing an order.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
One is listed for $750 on eBay, size 40. Maybe you could make a deal?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285109645557?hash=item4261dbf0f5:g:1rsAAOSwET1jwzqL

IMO that jacket makes no sens without the wool lining, it's a cold weather jacket, designed to be worn with thick layers.
There ar4 better jackets to wear if the weather is good.

That's a crazy price for that jacket though, i bought two and never paid more than $450, i might pay 500-600$ for a fancy coloured one, but not a black one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21