Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

Viking752

Practically Family
I am impatiently waiting on this Vanson A-2 to arrive.

IMG_1266.jpeg

cpstecroix

New in Town
So i have searched the forum but I am not sure I have seen the answer (but it is also possible i suck at searching lol)

Wondering if anyone has a comparison of the Brandy Roma vs the Hickory and Dark Maple offered by Thurston? I am new to leather jackets and am in a bit of analysis paralysis lol. I have nailed it down to a Maverick in one of those or the comp black.

Having chatted with Vanson, my only option size wise custom so I am wondering if it is worth the splurge for the Thurston leathers/process.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So i have searched the forum but I am not sure I have seen the answer (but it is also possible i suck at searching lol)

Wondering if anyone has a comparison of the Brandy Roma vs the Hickory and Dark Maple offered by Thurston? I am new to leather jackets and am in a bit of analysis paralysis lol. I have nailed it down to a Maverick in one of those or the comp black.

Having chatted with Vanson, my only option size wise custom so I am wondering if it is worth the splurge for the Thurston leathers/process.

Thurston has posted both leathers in their thread with an identical camera/lighting setup so I would look there.

cpstecroix

New in Town
Cheers. Not sure if I’ll find it there but fires anyone have any thoughts having had those leathers in hand? Weight, feel, wear etc? Honestly, all things being equal I would likely pick up a thurston but the premium over the regular Vanson is enough that i am pausing to ask questions

Schambach

Practically Family
Cheers. Not sure if I’ll find it there but fires anyone have any thoughts having had those leathers in hand? Weight, feel, wear etc? Honestly, all things being equal I would likely pick up a thurston but the premium over the regular Vanson is enough that i am pausing to ask questions
I have a jacket In whiskey Roma and quite like it. it’s definitely lighter and more pliable than comp weight, but doesn’t feel cheap. Lots of pull up. In terms of feel it reminds me a lot of schott naked cowhide. Vanson Are pretty good about sending samples.

panigale

New in Town

Ask Carrie to mail you leather samples.

discodaft

New in Town
Just took the trip to Vanson this past week. I was visiting people north of Boston and convinced them to take a day trip to R.I. and stop in Fall River at Vanson HQ.
The building itself is full of character and fantastic looking, inside and out. The place is well worth a trip, and the front room and back showrooms are both essentially a museum to riding and jackets. Plenty of fodder for geeking out, and I must have spent an hour+ in the main room trying on jackets across the board. Some I was interested in, some I could never pull off. I didnt really see anyone except for the photographer at first, a really nice guy, who just passed thru the main room.
Then, the back room had the sample racks (where I grabbed a surprise Z150 Continental Daytona sample to buy) and just enjoyed the scene of it all. The entire hour and a halfish I was there...I was the only customer (and person) in the sales spaces. Basically had it to myself.

I have to say, the competition weight is the real deal. Someone on this forum described it something like...looks like glass, feels like cardboard. I'd say that's 100% right, in a good way. That hide would save you many times over but damn if it wouldn't fight you along the way (in the best way possible.)

I asked the photog a question about adding length to my Portland, not knowing he was just the photog. He then led me to the owner's office. Very cool. The man himself was friendly, shook my hand, and after we chatted for a minute he sent me to Nick to get some details down, etc. Nick was extremely friendly, and we also chatted with another woman who seemed like she had worked there a while (Kim? Didnt catcher her name but she was lovely)...who took time out of her lunch prep to show me a map of Fall River with town history, and collab with Nick on the measurements to add length to my jacket. Nick got my info for the custom work, we chatted about the 50th anniversary this year, and off I went. A fan and customer for life.

Shout out to my wife and mother in law who handled our 3 month old outside and let me run around the playground inside.

434407543_940889687588990_7042188016597951108_n.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely write up, put a smile on my face, thank you! When exactly is the anniversary?

This year in general is their 50th anniversary.

They have some special items for it, like you can get many jackets in Roma direct from the site without the customization fee.

Was a nice enough jacket, not comp weight and sleeves way short. Was a catch and release

It looks like brown CW. The brown CW is much easier to break in than the black. It seems like a different hide. If for sure it isn’t CW, any idea what it is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner