Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It’s kind of like seeing your first true love again and remembering what conjured all those emotions to begin with. Vanson leathers provided me my first real leather jacket, back in the early 90’s, cost me a whopping $40 and looked like something Sly wore in Rocky III. It opened my eyes to what a leather jacket could be! Purchased at a thrift store in Sycamore, IL…it was love at first sight.

I’ve had an on again/off again relationship with Vanson ever since. I would speculate that I have owned around 30 Vanson jackets, spanning the companies entire existence, across a fairly broad range of styles. From the RJ and sport rider styles to the Derby and well documented love for the model E. They keep me coming back, and I’m always looking. That says something, particularly given my tendencies in the hobby.

We’ve discussed at length what makes Vanson so great. A working class, work horse of a jacket. Not priced in the stratosphere, no pretension, just a solid jacket built for life based on jackets designed to save people’s lives. Warrantied against failure, no compromises and no bullshit.

My closet holds three right now and I’ve gone into some detail about two, but my latest really has me appreciating the brand on an entirely new level.

Comp Weight Cow:
Vansons flagship hide, some of the nicest leather I think one can own, time tested and beautiful. I experienced many flavors of comp weight. Smooth as a board and hard as a rock. Grainy, almost CXL like, and the newer, heavily pored and much maligned. I’ve also had thin and crispy white labels, and oil slick rubbery soft modern labels. With the exception of the last two, I’ve loved them all.
Older (80’s-90’s):
Model E, brown core, size 44”, weight: 6.40lbs
View attachment 372007 View attachment 372008
Oxford 9D, size 40”, weight 5.96lbs:
View attachment 372009 View attachment 372010

Dark Maple Bainbridge:
I was not a fan from what I’d seen before. Looked a bit too couch-y. But having it in hand…What a spectacular hide. It smells identical to Horween CXL and shares Horweens water repellent and pull-up properties. It’s like CXL without the pain and suffering! I suspect it will age quite beautifully as it dulls and becomes both lighter and darker.
Oxford 9D, size 40”, weight: 5.07lbs
View attachment 372011 View attachment 372012
The true beauty of Bainbridge doesn’t reveal itself until you take it outside. Then it becomes like a bag of Red Man chewing tobacco.
View attachment 372017 View attachment 372018
It’s an absolute delight to wear. I will have at least one more jacket in it, maybe the redwood, not sure. This hide seems to take some of the biker vibe out and makes the jacket just feel a bit more refined. You wouldn’t frame a house with a sledgehammer, so you save the big guns for when they are needed.
Thank you for indulging me folks. I am extremely pleased with…
View attachment 372020
Great post Tony and you would know Vanson!
In my mind, i think it fair to say that Vanson is to leather jackets as is Harley Davidson to motorcycles.
B

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
It’s kind of like seeing your first true love again and remembering what conjured all those emotions to begin with. Vanson leathers provided me my first real leather jacket, back in the early 90’s, cost me a whopping $40 and looked like something Sly wore in Rocky III. It opened my eyes to what a leather jacket could be! Purchased at a thrift store in Sycamore, IL…it was love at first sight.

I’ve had an on again/off again relationship with Vanson ever since. I would speculate that I have owned around 30 Vanson jackets, spanning the companies entire existence, across a fairly broad range of styles. From the RJ and sport rider styles to the Derby and well documented love for the model E. They keep me coming back, and I’m always looking. That says something, particularly given my tendencies in the hobby.

We’ve discussed at length what makes Vanson so great. A working class, work horse of a jacket. Not priced in the stratosphere, no pretension, just a solid jacket built for life based on jackets designed to save people’s lives. Warrantied against failure, no compromises and no bullshit.

My closet holds three right now and I’ve gone into some detail about two, but my latest really has me appreciating the brand on an entirely new level.

Comp Weight Cow:
Vansons flagship hide, some of the nicest leather I think one can own, time tested and beautiful. I experienced many flavors of comp weight. Smooth as a board and hard as a rock. Grainy, almost CXL like, and the newer, heavily pored and much maligned. I’ve also had thin and crispy white labels, and oil slick rubbery soft modern labels. With the exception of the last two, I’ve loved them all.
Older (80’s-90’s):

Dark Maple Bainbridge:
I was not a fan from what I’d seen before. Looked a bit too couch-y. But having it in hand…What a spectacular hide. It smells identical to Horween CXL and shares Horweens water repellent and pull-up properties. It’s like CXL without the pain and suffering! I suspect it will age quite beautifully as it dulls and becomes both lighter and darker.
The true beauty of Bainbridge doesn’t reveal itself until you take it outside. Then it becomes like a bag of Red Man chewing tobacco.
It’s an absolute delight to wear. I will have at least one more jacket in it, maybe the redwood, not sure. This hide seems to take some of the biker vibe out and makes the jacket just feel a bit more refined. You wouldn’t frame a house with a sledgehammer, so you save the big guns for when they are needed.
View attachment 372020
love the maple! glad to read more reviews about it and lovely to see it under the sun. Can't wait to see the redwood version you'll get soon! I wonder whose name has got next written all over it when it comes to it lol

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I asked Vanson about a custom Oxford competition weight.
Custom costs 250$ extra. I.e. Until the jacket is with me, it will cost about 920 EUR.
Although I gave my jacket measurements, they still want to have the body measurements.
But I assume that the measurements should be identical to those of my other jackets, right?
Or do you notice any discrepancies in the measurements to your other jackets?
Delivery time is about 16 weeks.

I asked Vanson about a custom Oxford competition weight.
Custom costs 250$ extra. I.e. Until the jacket is with me, it will cost about 920 EUR.
Although I gave my jacket measurements, they still want to have the body measurements.
But I assume that the measurements should be identical to those of my other jackets, right?
Or do you notice any discrepancies in the measurements to your other jackets?
Delivery time is about 16 weeks.
Nah the Vansons hit the traditional working numbers for me pretty much spot on. The quilted lining they use is mega thick though and does eat up a decent amount of interior room. Something to consider. While I can comfortably get a button down under the bainbridge jacket which is rayon lined, the quilted lined comp weight is a t shirt /vest fit only. Even an Oxford shirt makes it tight.

MrProper

Nah the Vansons hit the traditional working numbers for me pretty much spot on. The quilted lining they use is mega thick though and does eat up a decent amount of interior room. Something to consider. While I can comfortably get a button down under the bainbridge jacket which is rayon lined, the quilted lined comp weight is a t shirt /vest fit only. Even an Oxford shirt makes it tight.

Good to know, thank you.
If I take +5 mm into account for the material thickness, I should be on the safe side.

Psant25

One Too Many
Good to know, thank you.
If I take +5 mm into account for the material thickness, I should be on the safe side.
If I got another custom vanson i would have the biceps narrowed. On the model b it is huge and others i think a, oxford, etc. tony has some guns and you as well but just wanted to bring that up i know you like jackets more neat fitting. May want to figure that out with them if not able to do a try on. I was gonna do a custom chp and ordered a 42 to try on stock and that seemed fine in the arms so idk

El Marro

I actually almost pulled the trigger on something similar with the Daredevil model but then chickened out because at the time I thought the sleeve coin zip was too much LOL.
I chuckled when I read this because I had the same experience with this model from TB a few years ago. Everything else about the jacket is perfect, but that sleeve zip just seems tacky and over the top.

MrProper

If I got another custom vanson i would have the biceps narrowed. On the model b it is huge and others i think a, oxford, etc. tony has some guns and you as well but just wanted to bring that up i know you like jackets more neat fitting. May want to figure that out with them if not able to do a try on. I was gonna do a custom chp and ordered a 42 to try on stock and that seemed fine in the arms so idk
Thank you very much. I will note that.
I think I will use a size 40 or 42 as a base and then lengthen. Usually Ton's jackets should fit me except for the length.

MrProper

What would be your recommendation for the Oxford? Rayon or quilted?
I don't have a jacket that is quilted lined yet.

What would be your recommendation for the Oxford? Rayon or quilted?
I don't have a jacket that is quilted lined yet.
I really like them both. For me the quilted is better for cold weather. Since the bainbridge is also a good 1oz lighter leather wise, that jacket feels more like my ELMC, and is probably better suited for warmer temps. If you want to wear it below freezing, quilted for sure!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Was just on Vanson’s website : They are now referring to CW as …
Revolution Competition Weight Leather
Maybe they always did and just never noticed it ….
Wondering if Revolution means the “ new “ CW ?
Wish the “ Old CW “ was still around !!

Last edited:

Seank

A-List Customer

Comp Weight Cow:
Older (80’s-90’s):

Dark Maple Bainbridge:
View attachment 372020
I like that Bainbridge, might have to give Carrie a call…

jglf

A-List Customer
It's nice to see more Bainbridge gaining ground as a popular choice. I've loved it since TB first debuted it and it's very close to being on my next order. Such a cool leather that I really need to experience first hand.
It is really nice leather, especially for being chrome tanned, just wish it was a little heavier. I would say that it is closer to 2.5 than 3.0oz.

I just placed an order for a Vanson in Thurston’s Vancouver leather after I read that it is a little heavier than the bainbridge.

It is really nice leather, especially for being chrome tanned, just wish it was a little heavier. I would say that it is closer to 2.5 than 3.0oz.

I just placed an order for a Vanson in Thurston’s Vancouver leather after I read that it is a little heavier than the bainbridge.
I agree with you, it’s definitely 2.5oz. Certainly not heavy. Reminds me very much of my ELMC Californian weight wise, but waxed and oiled. It really does feel like CXL without some of the weight related misery.

Cornelius

Practically Family

Good to know it's chrome-tanned, would love to see more pics of it "in the wild," especially after some time & miles [does that high-gloss ever dull down to more of a satin finish?...]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff