Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

Bluechel

Practically Family
I've found that the best way to tell the difference is the total weight. I've had more than one of Vanson's jackets...same size and model and one is 50% heavier than the other because of the leather difference. HEAVY tends to be comp, 6-7 pounds and up...yes not scientific.

Viking752

Practically Family
I've found that the best way to tell the difference is the total weight. I've had more than one of Vanson's jackets...same size and model and one is 50% heavier than the other because of the leather difference. HEAVY tends to be comp, 6-7 pounds and up...yes not scientific.
I have only ever held and worn this one Vanson an early 2000’s comp weight model J. It’s a size 52 with a 33” length, weighs about 9 lbs. an ass load of leather to build this beast.
IMG_0419.jpeg

Got some info on my jacket.

"That model has been discontinued, but was the Daytona jacket. It is made from X150 leather (medium weight, but stiff from wax), and it was made in March of 2014. It was an oddity, the hardware was changed from Chrome to Brass."

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me why there are sellers of Vanson jackets from Japan that are asking a 50% markup over what a jacket from Fallriver would cost?
I keep seeing these on EBay, a C2 or a Highwayman for around $1,200.00 when I can order a new one from the mother ship for $750.00?
What’s going on there?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me why there are sellers of Vanson jackets from Japan that are asking a 50% markup over what a jacket from Fallriver would cost?
I keep seeing these on EBay, a C2 or a Highwayman for around $1,200.00 when I can order a new one from the mother ship for $750.00?
What’s going on there?
Depends, going price for a used one is around $200 USD, new ones if you buy in Japan is marked up though because of import fees + retail markup, etc.

Also, the ones on ebay are likely just sellers that proxy for you at a ridiculous markup, even 2-3x the asking price in Japan in some instances, and they do not have any connection to the original seller or the items themselves, they just repost their stuff and when someone buys it, they buy the original listing and ship it overseas. The middleman is also what's causing the main price jump. Most Japanese sellers prefer to deal domestically on sites like Yahoo Auctions or Mercari, they have good prices but they go relatively quickly, so you wouldn't see them other than on their original sites.

Al 916

One Too Many
What’s going on there?
Capitalism and JP market forces

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What’s going on there?

A new one costs a good chunk more there in the first place due to import costs.

However, as Jason points out, the people on eBay are specifically targeting the Western market which they know will pay extra for anything coming from JAPAN. If you go on the Japanese market auction sites, used Vansons hover around $300.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Reviving one of my favorite threads on TFL. You folks really convinced me to put Vanson on the top of my list of leather jacket makers.
While my S size Chopper is looking for a new home I managed to get a Model B is size 34 from Germany for 250eu shipper. Crazy nice deal, thanks to @3.14nche who pinged me about it.
Finally waited out for some less overcast weather to take some shots.
Got in touch with Vanson and got some info based on ID number : Z150 leather, custom order for Insurrection, made in 2014, nickel hardware.
Has a Zip-in-zip-out pile lining, Rayon lining, one internal pocket on the wearers right (not ideal, but I guess it's to balance out the chest pocket on the left).
Treated it with Vansons own conditioner, lubed the zippers up with McNett Zip Tech.
Definitely a more mid-weight / lighter jacket than both the Chopper (which has a lot of extra bulk due to the kidney panel reinforcement and heavy double buckles) and my Aero CXLFQHH Hooch Hauler, both over all and in terms of leather. The leather is super drapey, soft and pliable. Even more than I would like I guess - I like stiffer leather.
In terms of fit - I'm very happy overall. 34 fits me much better than 36 (Chopper). Ideally I would like 2-3cm less body length (mainly for sitting and accessing pockets), maybe 1-2cm less in the abdomen area (the cinches could also be higher, that would help), maybe 1-2cm in sleeve length. Basically shorter body length would make it perfect.
Guess it will be my go to jacket with lower rise denim (if I ever buy a pair.. God how I would like to get a pair of Strike Gold SG2105...).
Mobility is absolutely fantastic arms forward (god bless shoulder gussets / bi-swing), quite decent up (it does have underarm gussets!) and ok swinging arms back (1-2cm more chest would help a lot with that, not so much pit to pit, but a bit higher, seam to seam).
Not a big fan of Cafe Racer type jackets, but now I have one and I'm glad it's a Vanson with bi-swing and waist cinches.
Tell me what you think :)
1698922029222.png

1698922079705.png

1698922137417.png

1698922160686.png

1698922301889.png

1698922185016.png

1698922200860.png

1698922251655.png

1698922217121.png

1698922232211.png

Reviving one of my favorite threads on TFL. You folks really convinced me to put Vanson on the top of my list of leather jacket makers.
While my S size Chopper is looking for a new home I managed to get a Model B is size 34 from Germany for 250eu shipper. Crazy nice deal, thanks to @3.14nche who pinged me about it.
Finally waited out for some less overcast weather to take some shots.
Got in touch with Vanson and got some info based on ID number : Z150 leather, custom order for Insurrection, made in 2014, nickel hardware.
Has a Zip-in-zip-out pile lining, Rayon lining, one internal pocket on the wearers right (not ideal, but I guess it's to balance out the chest pocket on the left).
Treated it with Vansons own conditioner, lubed the zippers up with McNett Zip Tech.
Definitely a more mid-weight / lighter jacket than both the Chopper (which has a lot of extra bulk due to the kidney panel reinforcement and heavy double buckles) and my Aero CXLFQHH Hooch Hauler, both over all and in terms of leather. The leather is super drapey, soft and pliable. Even more than I would like I guess - I like stiffer leather.
In terms of fit - I'm very happy overall. 34 fits me much better than 36 (Chopper). Ideally I would like 2-3cm less body length (mainly for sitting and accessing pockets), maybe 1-2cm less in the abdomen area (the cinches could also be higher, that would help), maybe 1-2cm in sleeve length. Basically shorter body length would make it perfect.
Guess it will be my go to jacket with lower rise denim (if I ever buy a pair.. God how I would like to get a pair of Strike Gold SG2105...).
Mobility is absolutely fantastic arms forward (god bless shoulder gussets / bi-swing), quite decent up (it does have underarm gussets!) and ok swinging arms back (1-2cm more chest would help a lot with that, not so much pit to pit, but a bit higher, seam to seam).
Not a big fan of Cafe Racer type jackets, but now I have one and I'm glad it's a Vanson with bi-swing and waist cinches.
Tell me what you think :)
View attachment 557025

View attachment 557026

View attachment 557028

View attachment 557029

View attachment 557035

View attachment 557030

View attachment 557031

View attachment 557034

View attachment 557032

View attachment 557033

I enjoyed wearing my Model B so much! But it was a House model that someone's removed the patches from so stitch holes always annoyed me but it is among the most perfect, complete jackets that I ever had.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Monitor What happened to your Model B in the end? Sold it off or still have it?
I also like the design quite a bit (apart from body length), but I would gladly take the 9D Oxford instead of this.
Although I guess it's basically the same jacket apart from the collar.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
The sleeves look fine, but the torso does look a little long to me. I think it would be worth getting it shortened about two inches.
And I mean it, the rest of the fit, the Z150 leather (which, correct me if I'm wrong is no lobger available...?) It's an awesome jacket all around, and it would be WELL worth the expense of raising the hem and installing the shorter zipper.
And as far as stiffness... Well here let me post up a couple of my older vansons from the 90's. This is the leather that breaks in to that "wet clay" consistency…
image.jpg

This puddle of leather is a Stallion and a Highwayman, they… do not stand up on their own. Even some batches of comp are very plyable.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
The sleeves look fine, but the torso does look a little long to me. I think it would be worth getting it shortened about two inches.
And I mean it, the rest of the fit, the Z150 leather (which, correct me if I'm wrong is no lobger available...?) It's an awesome jacket all around, and it would be WELL worth the expense of raising the hem and installing the shorter zipper.
And as far as stiffness... Well here let me post up a couple of my older vansons from the 90's. This is the leather that breaks in to that "wet clay" consistency… View attachment 557216
This puddle of leather is a Stallion and a Highwayman, they… do not stand up on their own. Even some batches of comp are very plyable.
Speaking of "puddles of leather" the E I just posted about in another thread is similar. Starts out very stiff, just gets better and better.

@TartuWolf - I think yours looks brilliant there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot