Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson visit

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
has anyone bought a new Vanson recently (today is 6/18/10) ? Went to Fall River and their factory the other day and it is not what is used to be...i.e. the huge room that was filled with great jackets was empty...smaller room had some but not the same....guess they have become mainly custom order....was wondering how the quality has held up...I have a couple of them which I realize now are collectors items...thanks....glad for any comments....

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I remembering hearing awhile back that Vanson moved some of their production to Mexico. That might explain why the factory appears to have scaled back some.

Peacoat

Bartender
Daniel Hunter said:
I remembering hearing awhile back that Vanson moved some of their production to Mexico. That might explain why the factory appears to have scaled back some.

Mexico is close, but they actually moved some production down to San Salvador. When I talked with them in December, I got the impression that about 1/2, or less, of the production had been moved. Sounds like that was a low estimate.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I will add more confusion to this situation by saying that I heard they moved certain parts of the jacket production to Pakistan. lol This was about the time they introduced the Drifter motorcycle jacket.

My previous understanding was that all "numbered" size Vansons (e.g. size 40) were made in the Fall River MA facility, with all "sized" Vansons (e.g. size medium) were made overseas. I don't know if this is still the case. My last Vanson was purchased in 2007 so it has been several years since I've kept track of the issue. [huh]

jchosko

Familiar Face
And I'll confuse the situation yet further...I think I heard the same thing regarding sizing and location of manufacture, but the Vanson Horsehide Ike Jacket that is currently selling on Orvis' website is not number sized, but appears to be made in the USA...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo