Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson x Left Field Commando

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
What's better than one Commando?
A pair of Commandos!

This jacket came up for a great price not long ago and i just had to have it.
I'm a sucker for uncommon/rare Vansons and this is a pretty uncommon one, it is basically the same jacket as the one posted above but being the Left Field 20th anniversary edition it is made from Horween CXL and has a gold rayon lining. They call it "The Gold Standard".

Fit is identical to the regular Commando so i won't post fit pics now as the jacket is basically brand new and still needs a break in. When worn they feel the same although i think the X150 one is a bit more rigid and crunchy and the CXL one a bit softer.

The leather is what you would expect from Horween CXL, basically what Aero uses but a little bit lighter.
According to Constantine the batch was 3oz-3.25oz and i have to say it feels about right.
The top coat on this particular jacket is very thin, and you can really see the beige hide through the black top coat.

The lining is a thick 8oz Japanese rayon, it is very silky and has a very nice feel to it.
No idea how warm it is but i would assume a bit warmer than the stock lining.

One thing i instantly noticed is the precision and style of the stitching.
Rather than a low stitch count and slanted stitches that you see on traditional Vansons and Schotts this one has super tight straight stitches, like what you see on a Lost Worlds, Himel or Japanese jackets.
It is imediately apparent that this jacket was stitched by someone who really was paying attention to what they were doing and didn't want to screw up and waste fancy horsehide!
I have heard some people say that collab jackets are stitched to a higher standard than the regular range, well this one is definitely a step above that.

If i had to describe it in one sentence, this jacket is like an Aero MC jacket, designed by someone who actually sat on a motorcycle, and made to a Japanese standard. I like it a lot!

If you like Vanson and Horween this is IMO as good as it gets, if you see one get it!

Pics:

sP0wxGJ.jpg

8HdAqEQ.jpg

F3tGidW.jpg

30hmJUk.jpg

9WTQjeK.jpg

ItQXi2w.jpg

kvJC4GR.jpg

xzazLYF.jpg

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Wow I remember posting about this one when it was announced. The price seemed to be the main complaint. But getting it second hand would be quite alright. I never realized how much the brown undertones show through. Too bad they made so few and the cost high at release. This looks killer. Good for you @Carlos840 You got something very special there.

A pair of Commandos!

I'm a sucker for uncommon/rare Vansons and this is a pretty uncommon one, it is basically the same jacket as the one posted above but being the Left Field 20th anniversary edition it is made from Horween CXL and has a gold rayon lining. They call it "The Gold Standard".

Fit is identical to the regular Commando so i won't post fit pics now as the jacket is basically brand new and still needs a break in. When worn they feel the same although i think the X150 one is a bit more rigid and crunchy and the CXL one a bit softer.

The leather is what you would expect from Horween CXL, basically what Aero uses but a little bit lighter.
According to Constantine the batch was 3oz-3.25oz and i have to say it feels about right.
The top coat on this particular jacket is very thin, and you can really see the beige hide through the black top coat.

The lining is a thick 8oz Japanese rayon, it is very silky and has a very nice feel to it.

Rather than a low stitch count and slanted stitches that you see on traditional Vansons and Schotts this one has super tight straight stitches, like what you see on a Lost Worlds, Himel or Japanese jackets.
It is imediately apparent that this jacket was stitched by someone who really was paying attention to what they were doing and didn't want to screw up and waste fancy horsehide!
I have heard some people say that collab jackets are stitched to a higher standard than the regular range, well this one is definitely a step above that.

If i had to describe it in one sentence, this jacket is like an Aero MC jacket, designed by someone who actually sat on a motorcycle, and made to a Japanese standard. I like it a lot!

If you like Vanson and Horween this is IMO as good as it gets, if you see one get it!

Pics:

sP0wxGJ.jpg

8HdAqEQ.jpg

F3tGidW.jpg

30hmJUk.jpg

9WTQjeK.jpg

ItQXi2w.jpg

kvJC4GR.jpg

xzazLYF.jpg

Correction - if you like leather jackets in general, this is as far as it gets.

It's absolute perfection and would've been my exit jacket for sure. I just feel this'd be it. Cross zip with brown tea core. That's what I had envisioned 6 years ago when I joined this forum and for some deranged reason, I'm still looking for it while letting go jackets like this pass under the radar. There's really nothing more to look for once you get something like this. Oh well, next time...

Congrats on a perfect jacket, Carlos!

Sid33

New in Town
Correction - if you like leather jackets in general, this is as far as it gets.

It's absolute perfection and would've been my exit jacket for sure. I just feel this'd be it. Cross zip with brown tea core. That's what I had envisioned 6 years ago when I joined this forum and for some deranged reason, I'm still looking for it while letting go jackets like this pass under the radar. There's really nothing more to look for once you get something like this. Oh well, next time...

Congrats on a perfect jacket, Carlos!
@Monitor - There is one available on grailed for sale in a size M if you are interested.

JCSD

Practically Family
A pair of Commandos!

Pics:

sP0wxGJ.jpg

8HdAqEQ.jpg

F3tGidW.jpg

30hmJUk.jpg

9WTQjeK.jpg

ItQXi2w.jpg

kvJC4GR.jpg

xzazLYF.jpg
Best Vanson collab that I’ve seen thus far!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If I could get a model E or C in this, though... I really wouldn't know what else is there for me.

You can, you just have to get the leather from Horween and have them ship it to Vanson.
It is going to end up costing close to 2k, but if it is your dream/"retirement from TFL" jacket it might be worth it in the long run.
Currently the only CXL Vanson has in stock is the leftover from the Left Field "Gold Standard" run, so you can still order a custom Commando in that leather if you want. Once the left over is gone, you have have to provide your own CXL if you want it.

You can, you just have to get the leather from Horween and have them ship it to Vanson.
It is going to end up costing close to 2k, but if it is your dream/"retirement from TFL" jacket it might be worth it in the long run.
Currently the only CXL Vanson has in stock is the leftover from the Left Field "Gold Standard" run, so you can still order a custom Commando in that leather if you want. Once the left over is gone, you have have to provide your own CXL if you want it.

But then I would have no clue what to do...
Nah, hunt is what it's all about. I'm happy the LW project failed! Now I've something to look forward too. Again.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But then I would have no clue what to do...
Nah, hunt is what it's all about. I'm happy the LW project failed! Now I've something to look forward too. Again.
That’s the spirit man!
Also, in my experience there is no bigger let down then the jacket that you think is going to be your “Be all and end all” piece. I was sure it would be my second Langlitz, or my Good Wear, or my LW CHP...
I am now happily cruising along with the knowledge that there will never be just one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui