Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vat 69

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Everytime I watch the Band of Brothers I get a taste for Scotch. I've always wanted to try this but can never find it around here. I've found VAT 69 Gold which comes in a plastic bottle and is bottom shelf. Has anyone tried the original?

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Doggone. The company drinkon.com will deliver only to the UK. I've been searching for it too, for my boyfriend. He had it in Europe in the 80s and thought it was the bee's knees. Gold isn't the same.

penfencer

Familiar Face
I went looking for it after spotting it in Twelve O'clock High. I was shocked to see how cheap it was and passed.

Has anyone here tried it lately?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The one and only time I had VAT 69 was when I was a teen in my first year of Upper school..Had some friends over after the parents had gone out for the evening. Found it in the bar my dad had set up in the basement. It was far back in the cabinet so we assumed he wouldn't know if some, or all of it was missing. I think it must have been the bottom shelf brand, for I remember it being terrible, and not feeling so well the next morning either. Of course, I was just a teen then, and didn't know anything about fine scotches. It just all tasted disgusting back then if it wasn't something like a wine cooler.
Well my point, and I find this funny that this is being brought up here. My mom finally just got around to emptying out my closet in my old bedroom. She called me up to tell me that she had found my stash. Apparantly I had hidden the empty VAT bottle at the bottom of my closet underneath some old clothes I no longer was wearing. We both got a kick out of it. Of course I told her I knew nothing about it's origin, or how it got to be empty.;)
Sorry I can't offer any advice on where to find a full bottle of the stuff.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
FredDairy said:
Everytime I watch the Band of Brothers I get a taste for Scotch. I've always wanted to try this but can never find it around here. I've found VAT 69 Gold which comes in a plastic bottle and is bottom shelf. Has anyone tried the original?

I was in the 101st, and nobody drank Scotch much. Beer was the wine of life,
and Mad Dog, a concoction of alcohol and Mogen David wine, something the medics threw together, a close second.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Vat 69's a bog-standard blend, nothing spectacular. I'd prefer to drink malts if I could but if not...

Blend-wise if anyone's after a goodie for a good price Black and White's a nice one. Funnily enough it was the "official" whisky of 43 Sqn RAF and they were given cases of the stuff by the distillery in the 30s.

Another blend which floats my boat is Johnny Walker Swing (darn sight more expensive than B&W but a good drop), and of course if you're feeling silly splash out on a bottle of Johnny Blue but for the price you could get a damn good malt.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I have bought VAT 69 here because of its appearance on BoB.

I have also bought Cutty Sark because that's what Dick Stensland and Bud White buy a case of in L.A. Confidential.

I believe J&B is also a G/E tipple and I have bought it for this reason.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mr. H, J&B, Cutty Sark (and others like Ballentines) tend to be marketed more at the American market where (generally) lighter tasting blends of scotch are popular. Sometimes those more used to more "British targeted" blends can find them a bit insipid. But like everything to do with the tastebuds it's all subjective, so enjoy whatever scotch you choose ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Smithy said:
Mr. H, J&B, Cutty Sark (and others like Ballentines) tend to be marketed more at the American market where (generally) lighter tasting blends of scotch are popular. Sometimes those more used to more "British targeted" blends can find them a bit insipid. But like everything to do with the tastebuds it's all subjective, so enjoy whatever scotch you choose ;)

Mmmm.... interesting.

You know what, Scotland must have had a healthy export economy back in the 40s with whiskeys going stateside....

;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
...25 years young; supposedly. ;)

...and hideously overpriced IMHO! I just can't get over what kind of magnificent malts I can buy for the price of Johnny Blue.

You know what, Scotland must have had a healthy export economy back in the 40s with whiskeys going stateside....

One of the reasons Johnny Walker took off enormously after the war was the fact that they kept advertising during the war even when their whisky wasn't even available in many places. As soon as the war ended everybody wanted Johnny Walker blends. Not silly at all.

Shearer

Practically Family
Vernacular VAT

I was always highly amused at this photo and the place of prominence VAT 69 received :)

vat69.jpg

via bighappyfunhouse

Shearer

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
I love that family!
Dad: Comb your hair, Son. And get a job while you're at it.
Mum: Now, now, Dad, let's not spoil our lovely dinner.

"Somebody turn the label toward the camera, and for the love of God - don't smile!" :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24