Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
Anyone here have any first hand experience with Lewis leathers Vegetable Tanned Cowhide? I heard it’s a sight to behold, some pics or anecdotes are much appreciated!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I saw a couple jacket made from it at the store last year.
IMO the nicest leather they offer.
Very light beige skin colour beneathe the black top coat, nice sheen, great grain, nothing to dislike.
If it had a Shinki stamp people would be going crazy about it and not think a second thought about the £450 upcharge, unfortunately it is made in France in an unknown tannery that doesn't employ magical elves, so nobody seems to care about it....
If i was ordering a Lewis today i would get it in that leather, even with the upcharge it is cheaper than any japanese made shinki jacket and IMO of the same quality.

I think @red devil had a couple pics at some point.

Edward

Bartender
Does this one go 'teacore'? Interesting choice for Lewis - presumably influenced by the international market. It's a bit of an anachronism as of the hundreds of vintage Lewises I've seen over the years, I've never seen one go teacore that I can recall, but clearly there's a market demand for it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Does this one go 'teacore'? Interesting choice for Lewis - presumably influenced by the international market. It's a bit of an anachronism as of the hundreds of vintage Lewises I've seen over the years, I've never seen one go teacore that I can recall, but clearly there's a market demand for it.

It does, the hide is a very light beige, a bit lighter than what you would expect from black CXL.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I saw a sample in their store too. Can only echo what Carlos says. No "first hand" experience though and also very eager to see some pictures of the aged hide.

Edward

Bartender
It does, the hide is a very light beige, a bit lighter than what you would expect from black CXL.

I know the shade well, I've seen it on others just never a Lewis. My Aero Dustbowl is in a Horween Bison that has a bit of a teacore effect, where it's worn it's gone almost a copper colour.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very light beige skin colour beneathe the black top coat, nice sheen, great grain, nothing to dislike.
If it had a Shinki stamp people would be going crazy about it and not think a second thought about the £450 upcharge, unfortunately it is made in France in an unknown tannery that doesn't employ magical elves, so nobody seems to care about it....
If i was ordering a Lewis today i would get it in that leather, even with the upcharge it is cheaper than any japanese made shinki jacket and IMO of the same quality.

I only took two pics back then, here you go

vC8vyOf.jpg

RuMnzMP.jpg

We were wowed when we saw this leaher in hand, it looks really good. It is a top end leather, especially considering how it got our attention first thing when we went in the store. True, as @Carlos840 says, you don't have the "It is shinki!" bragging rights if this matters to you.

You can see the beige colour on the strap in the pic above. I haven't bought one yet, so can't comment how it would break in.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

vC8vyOf.jpg

RuMnzMP.jpg

We were wowed when we saw this leaher in hand, it looks really good. It is a top end leather, especially considering how it got our attention first thing when we went in the store. True, as @Carlos840 says, you don't have the "It is shinki!" bragging rights if this matters to you.

You can see the beige colour on the strap in the pic above. I haven't bought one yet, so can't comment how it would break in.
The Lewis Leathers patch on the chest, is that there to stay? (I hope not)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

They had a period where they did not give the option to remove the brand- when I bought my turquoise one. But they went back to allow you to specify whether you want it or not. This bigger patch was probably chosen because it was their first sample?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

vC8vyOf.jpg

RuMnzMP.jpg

Thats the one I handled too... Really nice!

And thanks for the pictures. I once said to @Monitor they had a "Memphis" jacket in their veg-cow. Now I see, it was a "Lightning".

ralanis2

One of the Regulars

I saw a couple of pics floating online from Lewis with them displaying it and it did look super impressive. I place my order for a 391T Vegecow Lighting , No patch, custom sizing, black lining and black tape back in November through The Stronghold. Kinda Regret not going straight through Lewis since they dont communicate very well. I didn't know it did not come standard with a pocket inside, luckily i was able to put in that order before the jacket was completed. Now it's just the waiting game, I was hoping someone could share a live picture or their experience on how its aged. I'll post pics and update you all on how it looks and feels as soon as i get it

Edward

Bartender
One day I'd love a Lightning in the standard cow. Lovely design, if anything, I prefer it over the Perfecto. Of course, I'd order mine in the original 1958 spec: the forearm zip pocket was first seen on a Lewis with the launch of the Twin Track Bronx for the Bronx's tenth anniversary in 1966, then rolle out across the line thereafter.

No, that's not standard. The norm is much subtler:

upload_2021-1-26_16-35-22.jpeg

I'm honestly in two minds about whether I'd order without if I had the option... Lewis didn't always put those on, though I've never been able to find any information as to when they started. Best guess is circa 1968, but... it's a long-established thing, and the gold paint wears so fast I don't know it's worth the bother...

They had a period where they did not give the option to remove the brand- when I bought my turquoise one. But they went back to allow you to specify whether you want it or not. This bigger patch was probably chosen because it was their first sample?

Could also be that it very quickly and easily identifies a sample or a fit jacket in the shop floor, as distinct from one somebody can buy off the rack. The patch itself is fairly standard; you don't se them so much on Lewis jackets, but it wasn't unknown for rockers to buy them to put on other, cheaper brand jackets back in the day. I've even seen a vintage Mascot jacket with a large, hand-painted Aviakit-Lewis logo on the back...

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
No one could ever give me the first-hand experience on the vegetable tanned Lewis leathers lighting. I put my order back a couple of months ago, fast forward today, and here it is!! My custom made 391T Lighting in VegeCow. Every detail is upgraded, Plus black lining, pocket on the right side, custom measurements, and no patch. Honestly, it is the most beautiful jacket I own, and I have quite a few. From The Real McCoy’s Buco j100 and J24 to my other Rutland sheep 402t, this one is stunning.. feels great, really stiff out of the box but just WOW. Just like someone said, if you would stamp shinki it garners
145678905_10222059014562357_1246907513945941808_o.jpg
145033390_10222059021402528_2398709096994859708_o.jpg
146070129_10222059016202398_5407120352799258245_o.jpg
143857348_10222059018562457_3042359892129993005_o.jpg
144255034_10222059018242449_8287666152194728760_o.jpg
critical acclaim no doubt.
145678905_10222059014562357_1246907513945941808_o.jpg

Psant25

One Too Many
Great jacket! Leather looks really good. May I ask about the fit such as your specs and how you modified it?

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
yes of course, i got the shoulders modified from 44.5 to 44cm , the chest from 104 to 101cm and the sleeves to 65cm, no patch on this model and the inside pocket i got it on the right instead of the customary left side. The leather is beyond amazing..im still looking at it side by side to my RMC Bucos and to my eye its on par if not better than them.

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
It really is!! Here’s a few more pics , damn the hide is just so amazing.. it feels like nothing else

Attachments

• B78FA27C-075F-4956-8A0B-130D766F688B.jpeg
    B78FA27C-075F-4956-8A0B-130D766F688B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 890
  • 711E13EE-9F31-480E-9A64-64EBA1231514.jpeg
    711E13EE-9F31-480E-9A64-64EBA1231514.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1,934
  • 472C41D2-5A73-48C2-8AE1-C6823713F440.jpeg
    472C41D2-5A73-48C2-8AE1-C6823713F440.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 936
  • 74A1885A-6D0E-42AC-8032-61E8FB6FFB90.jpeg
    74A1885A-6D0E-42AC-8032-61E8FB6FFB90.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 868

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
It really is!! Here’s a few more pics , damn the hide is just so amazing.. it feels like nothing else
Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!
I understand that the 391T is the tight version compared to 391. But since it is possible to modify the specs, does it make any difference that you starting with the customization based on a 391T or a 391? Is there any design/character that further distinguish 391 and 391T? Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk