Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vehicles owned by Outerwear members?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I used to own an SPG 900. One of my best cars ever. I broke the suspension arm at a track one time. But other than that, it was my worked horse. I miss that car. New project is my high school dream car. The 1983 500 SL convertible by Mercedes-Benz.

I lusted after the Saab 900 SPG model. It was incredible for its day, and the design of those old school 900-series still looks well today. So many of my peers through i was nuts in an '82 900 turbo, but I didn't care.

Fun fact, it was the only car I ever did a "road test" race from a stop sign to stop sign in. At 5:30 am, a co-worker had a brand new (1990) Hyundai Excel. We met up at the stop sign, he looked over, we both let out our clutches at the same time. Into second gear, my Saab got into the boost and "pow" off I shot. He was very happy for me and shook my hand, saying, I never knew what a turbocharged engine could do. Oh the days of 8.0-second 0-60 feeling "quick." Now it would seem like quite the slowpoke. :)

morrison2951

Practically Family
2005 GTO. 400 HP 6.0. She goes fast!

20211105_130430~2.jpg

jglf

A-List Customer
I lusted after the Saab 900 SPG model. It was incredible for its day, and the design of those old school 900-series still looks well today. So many of my peers through i was nuts in an '82 900 turbo, but I didn't care.

Fun fact, it was the only car I ever did a "road test" race from a stop sign to stop sign in. At 5:30 am, a co-worker had a brand new (1990) Hyundai Excel. We met up at the stop sign, he looked over, we both let out our clutches at the same time. Into second gear, my Saab got into the boost and "pow" off I shot. He was very happy for me and shook my hand, saying, I never knew what a turbocharged engine could do. Oh the days of 8.0-second 0-60 feeling "quick." Now it would seem like quite the slowpoke. :)
I think my minivan can do 0-60 in under 8 sec. Lol
When I was in HS having a 15sec 1/4mile car was pretty quick even though everyone lied and said their cars ran 13’s.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
This looks like a good thread to pose a question. Which is a better car on the road, a GT 350 Mustang or a base Corvette? Beyond the power, cornering and braking of these sports cars, which would really shine on a coast-to-coast excursion?

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
This looks like a good thread to pose a question. Which is a better car on the road, a GT 350 Mustang or a base Corvette? Beyond the power, cornering and braking of these sports cars, which would really shine on a coast-to-coast excursion?
Not sure if this question was directed toward anyone in particular, but I believe either of the cars that you mentioned would be worthy coast to coast machines. Both cars are plenty powerful and both have excellent cornering/braking capabilities. I’ve not driven a GT350, but can say that it’s hard to beat a modern vette in the twisties or open road. A vette being a 2 seater is most likely going to have a bit less room for luggage. No experience with a C8, but is surprising how much one can stuff into a C4-C7 coupe. Or, maybe thats an overstatement with me being used to trying to take a Gen 2 Viper roadster on a few trips..

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m with @AerGuitar on this one, I would think the Mustang would have the most room for gear and therefore that would be my choice for a coast to coast run. This is a good time for me to make a pitch for my new ride though:
70C3FC16-081A-47F6-AF6D-D1D5ABF1B02C.jpeg

1/4 mile time is almost as good as the GT350 but it’s got 4 doors and a trunk that could hold four or five suitcases.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
With the race-inspired seats and taught suspension, I had read conflicting reports of overall ride quality and comfort on longer trips. 200-300 mile days (sometimes more) are common for me, thus my question. Thanks.

Not sure if this question was directed toward anyone in particular, but I believe either of the cars that you mentioned would be worthy coast to coast machines. Both cars are plenty powerful and both have excellent cornering/braking capabilities. I’ve not driven a GT350, but can say that it’s hard to beat a modern vette in the twisties or open road. A vette being a 2 seater is most likely going to have a bit less room for luggage. No experience with a C8, but is surprising how much one can stuff into a C4-C7 coupe. Or, maybe thats an overstatement with me being used to trying to take a Gen 2 Viper roadster on a few trips..

I’m with @AerGuitar on this one, I would think the Mustang would have the most room for gear and therefore that would be my choice for a coast to coast run. This is a good time for me to make a pitch for my new ride though:
View attachment 390450
1/4 mile time is almost as good as the GT350 but it’s got 4 doors and a trunk that could hold four or five suitcases.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family

I owned a 17 gt350 and a c5z but driven all but the c8.

Corvettes in general drive very comfortably and soaks up miles. Because they're light-ish with ideal weight distribution and dimensions, they don't have to over stiffen the suspension. The gt350 isn't bad in comfort setting but with the recaros it can be a bit much.

Interior space is a weird one. Mustang interiors are bigger,but the use of space isn't maximized if that makes sense. Like when I turn my leg to heal toe, my knee hits the steering column. I drive mostly small cars and never had that problem. I find that Corvette interiors are comfortable.

Tech and such depends on what you get, but c7 and 8 will have all the creature comforts you'd want.

Lots of people road trip both cars, if it were just me and wife I'd lean towards a c7. Seriously just soaks up miles, much better gas mileage, more accessible power, targa when you want it, and more fun in the Twisties. Plus putting miles on a gt350 gets me nervous.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
An excellent summary. Just what I needed Don, thanks.

I owned a 17 gt350 and a c5z but driven all but the c8.

Corvettes in general drive very comfortably and soaks up miles. Because they're light-ish with ideal weight distribution and dimensions, they don't have to over stiffen the suspension. The gt350 isn't bad in comfort setting but with the recaros it can be a bit much.

Interior space is a weird one. Mustang interiors are bigger,but the use of space isn't maximized if that makes sense. Like when I turn my leg to heal toe, my knee hits the steering column. I drive mostly small cars and never had that problem. I find that Corvette interiors are comfortable.

Tech and such depends on what you get, but c7 and 8 will have all the creature comforts you'd want.

Lots of people road trip both cars, if it were just me and wife I'd lean towards a c7. Seriously just soaks up miles, much better gas mileage, more accessible power, targa when you want it, and more fun in the Twisties. Plus putting miles on a gt350 gets me nervous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff