Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent holes on my VS...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Love it! Very smart way to have the vents and logo integrated. Wanna trade hats, Robert? Oh no I didn't! lol lol
5030178821_bf0e89d3d6_z.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
That hat looks great Robert... it is looking as if my chances are now better to be able to have a new vented fedora!
I found a piece of brim I saved from a mutilated panama. I'll be testing the tool tonight in the straw, if it works, you'll soon have a vented whippet.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I asked Jimmy and Robert to kindly measure the diamond patterns of their hats. I translated those numbers into photoshop and made this comparison between Jimmy's Shore Club, Robert's Dobbs and my VS. (Rusty, if you're thinking diamond pattern for your hat, please choose one)

Untitled-1.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I asked Jimmy and Robert to kindly measure the diamond patterns of their hats. I translated those numbers into photoshop and made this comparison between Jimmy's Shore Club, Robert's Dobbs and my VS. (Rusty, if you're thinking diamond pattern for your hat, please choose one)

Untitled-1.jpg

Ale -- you are hereby promoted to Chief Deputy of Forensics for the Fedora Bureau of Investigation. Your devotion to micro-detail in all things fedora is exemplary.

Respectfully,

The Chief

FBI-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ale -- you are hereby promoted to Chief Deputy of Forensics for the Fedora Bureau of Investigation. Your devotion to micro-detail in all things fedora is exemplary.

Respectfully,

The Chief

FBI-1-1.jpg

I'm honored, changed signature, waiting for my badge. AND raise :eeek::eeek:lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not the right thread really but I get tired of hearing this nonsense about water resistance/hat quality.

I've walked in a Chicago downpour for about 15 minutes(no option) with a Dobbs on and the water soaked through the felt and into the sweatband which cracked at the line where it is stitched when it dried. I have soaked through all Beaver hats as well in brief but vigorous downpours. I soaked through an Akubra that had a couple of coats of waterproofing spray in a few minutes. Felt hats absorb water and will soak through when water hits them in sufficient volume(this you admittedly say). They are not rain hats. Generally no permanent damage is done to the felt, but they have leather sweatbands, cotton/rayon bands and silk/cotton thread. Even greasy Beavers get wet.

The last line bothers me the most. Hats have different styles functions and durability.

Would you say "if my jacket can't take the weather its just a costume jacket"? I suppose suits, tuxedos, cotton, wool,linen or leather jackets may be worn without any concern forthe weather(or fur coats as well)?

My Polypropylene hat must be the best ever made. It has nice big vent holes too.
I'll sign off on this verbatim.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I guess it is possible. It's harder to do than felt as the toquilla is very delicate... I used the "Jimmy" dimensions on this, my Worth & Worth "diamante" (the color of the pattern may look a bit different 'cause I lightly sprayed it with water afterwards so some of the fibers would set back. Some holes might look closed because of this, too. Not bad, I think...
b0bb495c.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points