Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
Greeting,
I am hoping to get a conversation going about Ventile®. We are using it for a new adventure/tactical jacket we are designing for our clothing brand. I am looking for feedback and experience wearing ventile® and just general thoughts about the fabric. What features you would like to see and in a jacket. I am not familiar with forums so forgive me if I am not going about this in the correct manner.
Thank you

wdw

One Too Many
I had a double layer ventile jacket in the days before goretex. It was expensive, heavy, cracked at the seams, froze almost solid when wet and then moving above the freeze level and then took a day or two to dry out when saturated. For hillwalking in wet and windy conditions, Paramo nowadays is vastly superior to ventile or goretex, from my experience. Technology's moved on from when ventile was first used in the 40s or whenever.

Having said all that, I'm sure ventile would be good in a cold, dry, windy environment and where weight and getting wet isn't a issue. I now have a single layer ventile chore coat from Gustin that would cope with light summer rain when I can dry it easily at home.

I think ventile's fine as a tougher alternative to cotton and gather it's used as a lining in some everyday jackets now.

Peacoat

Bartender
There are a couple of threads on this board in the recent past about ventile jackets. Might have some success by using the search function. Or, perhaps an experienced searcher might do it for you. I have never had a lot of success using that function.

wdw

One Too Many
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
Forgot to mention, it was very cold to the touch. :) How it was considered a lifesaver to ditched pilots is beyond me, as it was an absolute liability in the cold, wet hills of Scotland.

Other than all that, I felt the play didn't live up to the reviews and that the ending was rather abrupt and unexpectedly violent. :)

Otter

One Too Many
As another user of said fabric, may I echo all of the above. In the 1950's it was the dogs b*'ll*cks, but I am afraid the state of the art has move on since then.
It didn't rustle which was a big plus but by God was it stiff when wet, and it leaked despite taped seams.

Reactions: wdw

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
There are a couple of threads on this board in the recent past about ventile jackets. Might have some success by using the search function. Or, perhaps an experienced searcher might do it for you. I have never had a lot of success using that function.
Thank you! I will give it a try.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
Forgot to mention, it was very cold to the touch. :) How it was considered a lifesaver to ditched pilots is beyond me, as it was an absolute liability in the cold, wet hills of Scotland.

Other than all that, I felt the play didn't live up to the reviews and that the ending was rather abrupt and unexpectedly violent. :)
Great information. Thank you! What exterior fabric would excite you guys?

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
If we were to design this jacket from the ground up. what would be the outer shell made of? What details would you like to see? I have a drawing of my details of the jacket and would be happy to share if you don't mind giving feedback?

wdw

One Too Many
It depends what market and look you're aiming for. Ventile would be fine as a utility jacket outer, maybe with a light, warmer lining.

Waxed cotton also makes for an interesting exterior, but be aware that https://www.weargustin.com/store use both materials in many colours, but only in the trucker and chore coat styles.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
It depends what market and look you're aiming for. Ventile would be fine as a utility jacket outer, maybe with a light, warmer lining.

Waxed cotton also makes for an interesting exterior, but be aware that https://www.weargustin.com/store use both materials in many colours, but only in the trucker and chore coat styles.
My thought was to use the Ventile as an outer shell and a Polartec interior liner. I have worked with Waxed Cottons and I was just looking for something a little more interesting.
I would like a more modern take on a solid winter jacket. We live in Alaska and the team is really looking to design a solid outer shell for extreme weather.
The style we envision would be more in line with http://www.arcteryx.com/product.asp...&category=Shell_Jackets&model=Alpha-SV-Jacket

wdw

One Too Many
The problem with Ventile is that when it gets wet, it stays wet and also gets even heavier, so not practical for extended exposure to rain.

The issue with a fixed polartec liner is that it's warm and therefore reduces the opportunity for wear during warmer months. A single layer Ventile shell would be fine as a relatively heavy windproof outer, and people could layer as necessary.

This UK company, http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Ventile.html, make many Ventile products which might be a useful guide.

FWIW, I started using http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/performancetechnology/#One about 12 years ago and find their system far superior to Goretex when hillwalking or just for use in heavy rain.

In their waterproof system, the outer layer is very thin, but the inner works the magic by pushing the sweat and moisture from rain back out. The other magic thing is that it still works perfectly even if you fill it full of pinholes, as it's not a membrane. You can also patch it up yourself if you tear it, with no detrimental effect, as I've done more than once. I can't imagine anything better for weather protection, but I gather Paramo is virtually unknown outside the UK, so you won't be competing with them.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavour, and I apologise for sounding negative about Ventile. Like I said, I think it's best as a robust windproof and maybe for light rain.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
The problem with Ventile is that when it gets wet, it stays wet and also gets even heavier, so not practical for extended exposure to rain.

The issue with a fixed polartec liner is that it's warm and therefore reduces the opportunity for wear during warmer months. A single layer Ventile shell would be fine as a relatively heavy windproof outer, and people could layer as necessary.

This UK company, http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Ventile.html, make many Ventile products which might be a useful guide.

FWIW, I started using http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/performancetechnology/#One about 12 years ago and find their system far superior to Goretex when hillwalking or just for use in heavy rain.

In their waterproof system, the outer layer is very thin, but the inner works the magic by pushing the sweat and moisture from rain back out. The other magic thing is that it still works perfectly even if you fill it full of pinholes, as it's not a membrane. You can also patch it up yourself if you tear it, with no detrimental effect, as I've done more than once. I can't imagine anything better for weather protection, but I gather Paramo is virtually unknown outside the UK, so you won't be competing with them.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavour, and I apologise for sounding negative about Ventile. Like I said, I think it's best as a robust windproof and maybe for light rain.

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to chat with me. I will do my research on the Paramo.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
wdw can you share your contact info. You can email it to info@aventyroutdoors.com Once we get these details worked out I would like to send you a jacket for field testing. Just and FYI all of our jackets will be made here in the USA. We appreciate you taking the time to chat with us. We would just like to thank you for your time and honest knowledge by gifting you a jacket.

wdw

One Too Many
Otter, as you know now, it's all about how you wear Paramo. You wear a bit more, but carry less and sweat much less, and just feel much more comfortable.

I have their full summer, windproof, waterproof and insulation outfits and love them all.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
We looked into Paramo and found the fabric they are using. They have several applications available. The product is a spray and it being used by a textile company in the UK to treat the fabric. The company http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/
is putting us in contact with a textile manufacturer that produce the fabric and treats it for us in the US. I should have samples in a week. My concern is that since it's a treatment that it can wear off like Goretex. They recommend that you do not wash the jacket. Have you had any issues with washing the jacket?

Otter

One Too Many
You use a special detergent to wash them that doesn't strip the DWR coating, when it starts to wet out you use their reproofing solution. I redid my Lowe Alpine winter hat in it and now water beads and runs straight off the goretex almost frictionless. Good stuff for any outdoor clothing.

Aventyr Outdoors

New in Town
You use a special detergent to wash them that doesn't strip the DWR coating, when it starts to wet out you use their reproofing solution. I redid my Lowe Alpine winter hat in it and now water beads and runs straight off the goretex almost frictionless. Good stuff for any outdoor clothing.
what if I treat the Ventile with this solution? Just a thought but might be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ