Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veronica Lake -The Woman Who Smiled Little

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Well, when I started modelling, I tried smiling. I looked ridiculous! I couldn't do a smile that looked both good and natural. It's so hard to do model smiles! But I have been practicing and my very latest pictures are all toothy grins. I think I am getting there! lol

It is SOOOO hard to model smiles. Some people can just do it, but most of the time I find I come off looking really fake and forced, and that's just worse than not smiling at all. So yeah, Fleur just found another good reason why I don't smile in pictures much.

Fleur, one thing I've found for modeling smiles though - keep one or two really funny things in your head. Remember a ridiculous joke someone told you, or the last time your best friend made an utter fool of her/himself, and the smile will come right out.... and look natural.

Mary

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Sorry, I know I ain't female, but the reason I don't smile much (much less with teeth showing) is because my teeth are somewhat crooked. I'm getting braces this year as well, so...

Jovan that shoudn't keep you from smiling!! I love crooked teeth and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's so charming and goodlooking and sexy(yeah I really think so). It's those imperfections that makes people really attractive.

Braces look good too but I would keep your crocked teeth, there to die for!

M

lillielil

Familiar Face
I smile in pictures (I love my teeth a little too much) and always regret it. One of my eyes gets a lot squintier than the other, and I end up looking completely lopsided. Maybe I should start cultivating the "mysterious" look.

Naama

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Again, I really like the cute, sweet side of her that shows in some of these photos.

Sorry, I know I ain't female, but the reason I don't smile much (much less with teeth showing) is because my teeth are somewhat crooked. I'm getting braces this year as well, so...

No! Don't do that! I think there is nothing worse then if people are afraid to smile! A friend of mine was always afraid to smile, she always looked pretty odd when she "smiled" and it was the same thing when she was speaking. This looks worse then not "perfect" teeth! Get the braces, but don't let that hold you back! I tell you!

Naama

ShortClara

One Too Many
KittyT said:
It is SOOOO hard to model smiles. Some people can just do it, but most of the time I find I come off looking really fake and forced, and that's just worse than not smiling at all. So yeah, Fleur just found another good reason why I don't smile in pictures much.

Fleur, one thing I've found for modeling smiles though - keep one or two really funny things in your head. Remember a ridiculous joke someone told you, or the last time your best friend made an utter fool of her/himself, and the smile will come right out.... and look natural.

I find it so much easier in photos to smile than to look serious. One of the photos Mr Newport Custom took of me is actually a pretty good serious photo (my new av), but usually I look crazy like an escaped convict when I am thinking serious thoughts. I could never have been Ms Lake!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I can't help but do a huge smile whenever a camera is pointed at me, it's like a reflex. I don't even know what I look like if I don't smile, because I can't do it lol

I agree with what Lyburnum was saying, it might feel a little strange grinning away manically to yourself alone in your bedroom.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you ever had some random guy on the street tell you to smile? I hate that. I'm walking along doing my errands and I'm supposed to have a big grin on my face? Stay out of it, stranger. :mad: lol

MissS

A-List Customer
I have the opposite problem, Miss Bella. I'm the one wandering around doing errands with a big silly smile on my face, so I often get asked why the big grin! Can't help it if I find life amusing, can I?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Have you ever had some random guy on the street tell you to smile? I hate that. I'm walking along doing my errands and I'm supposed to have a big grin on my face? Stay out of it, stranger.

YES! I'm glad it's not just me! It's happened only once or twice (I try not to go around scowling!) but in those instances...my response is *not* a huge, happy, oh-look-you're-so-witty grin.

And Jovan? Despite what I just said about people telling me to smile...smile! lol Wearing braces, I quickly figured out that smiling broadly was far better than trying not to smile, or smiling tensely. People won't notice the crooked teeth, but they'll notice the tense and "unpleasant" face.

Jovan

Suspended
Well, it's not like I'll consciously try and hide a smile when someone's told a joke or I've seen someone in God-knows-how-long. But when the camera's on me... I'm much more restrained in my smiles. Especially when I'm taking pictures alone like lyburnum said.

TessTrueheart

I smile a lot.:)

I ones had a friend take a picture of me, look at it and then exclaim "you don't look a bit like yourself in this picture!". Another friend looked at the picture and said "It's because she's not smiling".

Ada Veen

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
And some of just have an unfortunate default face.
Mine is haughty :)

Yeah, this is true! My boyfriend's is angry, and I seem to spend the whole time going "whats wrong, are you angry?" and it's just his relaxed non-expression looks really stern.

ShortClara

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
And some of just have an unfortunate default face.
Mine is haughty :)

Yes, I think it's my Finnish ancestry, but I just look kinda mad when in repose. Stern. People ask me what's wrong , and it's nothing - it;s just my face :D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MissS said:
I have the opposite problem, Miss Bella. I'm the one wandering around doing errands with a big silly smile on my face, so I often get asked why the big grin! Can't help it if I find life amusing, can I?

I'll tell you what though. When I am listening to my ipod, I might alternately be smiling, making my "rock and roll" faces, or singling, or whatever. Then people probably think I'm just crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points