Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veronica Lake -The Woman Who Smiled Little

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I started hijacking a previous thread and decided this should stand on it's own.

Some people smile alot. Some have a million dollar smile. They smile and the world smiles with them. They are contagious. You can't help but smile too. Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise are in that camp. They rely on their smiles.

V_lake5_1942.jpg

Veronica Lake had a lot of style. She is probably most known for her hair....and her lack of height. She was a petite little thing but she had a lot of pizzazz.

V_lake21942.jpg

One think I find interesting about her was that she rarely smiled for the camera. I am not sure if it was an effort to create mystery or alluring sex appeal, but you didn't see her smile much. When she did, she looked very different.

V_lake4.jpg

This also a great example of the Hollywood machine creating a star out of normal gal. They created images to suit their needs. Make-up, wardrobe, lighting, camera and in Veronica's case.....especially hairstyling. Here she is in a posed Hollywood shot in 1941:

Vlake8_1942.jpg

Here is a candid photo of her that same year:

V_lake9_1941.jpg

Isn't amazing?

Also I am fascinated on how people age and their various stages. So since we are talking a about Veronica, here she is in 1948:

Vlake_1948.jpg

V_lake_1952.jpg

Vlake_1969.jpg

Vlake_1970.jpg

Veronica died in 1973. She looks like she had pizzazz right up to the end.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Nice array of photographs!

I think Cate Blanchett has much of the same mysterious look and allure (and cheekbones!) as Veronica Lake, and you also rarely see her smile with her teeth showing.

1372_553626655_cate_blanchett_in_style_australia_6_h132611_l.jpg

cate-blanchett.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Pizzazz" lol

I cannot believe the difference between her casual smiling face and the glamourous image! In one, she's a siren. In the other, she's a skinny kid! Wow.

Jovan

Suspended
I think I like both sides of Veronica a lot.

Cate Blanchett is a great comparison. They ought to hire her if there's ever a "The Veronica Lake Story" biopic.

lyburnum

Practically Family
In reply to what you said in the other thread:

I think for me the lack of a smile in most of my pictures is to do with the fact I'm taking 'factual' images. Mostly I just post in the 'What did you wear today' thread, and I guess I see no need to smile, as I don't really see that the photo is about my face, but more about my clothes. On top of that it's also a comfort thing. I feel incredibly uncomfortable taking photos of myself smiling when it's actually just false, and I feel that shows a lot in the photos. I'd rather just take something quickly and painlessly. Smiling takes a lot of effort for me for the camera when it's unnatural.

Anyway, to prove I do smile, just only when I'm around people...

n2865001114273667651qy9.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I found these pictures of VL's different faces so intriguing that I failed to notice the really scary face in pic #2!:eek:

Naama

Practically Family
I often wish I had a more mysteriouse thing going on.... But I just smile way too much and too bright :D But once a classmate told me that my smile is just "movie star like" so at least people like my smile I guess.... Still, I would like to be more mysteriouse... *sigh*

Naama

pretty faythe

One Too Many
as a rare toothy smiler....

And looking at her toothy smile, I feal I might have some insight. (of course I could be totally off too) but it could be age just didn't like the way she appeared with it, the big cheeks goin on and all. That's one of the reasons I don't.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Naama if you've got a movie star smile, use it! The charm of a blinding, winning, "unforced" smile knows no limits. A Doris Day smile makes your day! If I had a Rita/ Marilyn/ Naama smile I'd flash it all the time. As it is I have a lips only Bette smile, I think it has to do with how my face is built since it's been like this since childhood, which I compensate for with a loud open mouth laugh! lol
Naama said:
I often wish I had a more mysteriouse thing going on.... But I just smile way too much and too bright :D But once a classmate told me that my smile is just "movie star like" so at least people like my smile I guess.... Still, I would like to be more mysteriouse... *sigh*
Naama

Hondo

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
Naama if you've got a movie star smile, use it! The charm of a blinding, winning, "unforced" smile knows no limits. A Doris Day smile makes your day! If I had a Rita/ Marilyn/ Naama smile I'd flash it all the time. As it is I have a lips only Bette smile, I think it has to do with how my face is built since it's been like this since childhood, which I compensate for with a loud open mouth laugh! lol

Thanks MK one huge Veronica Lake fan here, image is everything in Hollywood.
Cherry-Lips: I agree, You could also see it in Doris, Rita and Marilyn early in their careers.
And "Laura Chase" is also correct with Cate Blanchett woman is beautiful, not sure I want to see her without makeup :eek: Pizzazz!!! well done, Thank You! :)

Jovan

Suspended
Again, I really like the cute, sweet side of her that shows in some of these photos.

Sorry, I know I ain't female, but the reason I don't smile much (much less with teeth showing) is because my teeth are somewhat crooked. I'm getting braces this year as well, so...

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Just bumping this as I've been away and just read KittyT's commentn in the thread this one sprung from, about me being one who doesn't tend to smile in photos. I'll tell you for why. I can't!

Well, when I started modelling, I tried smiling. I looked ridiculous! I couldn't do a smile that looked both good and natural. It's so hard to do model smiles! But I have been practicing and my very latest pictures are all toothy grins. I think I am getting there! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo