Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vesta cases and the modern safety match

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been thinking about getting an old vesta case for the other end of a double albert chain. Most I've seen have a ridged groove in the bottom for striking the matches, but would it be enough for modern safety matches, which are harder to light on surfaces other than the box?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I have a couple of vesta cases that I use now and then. Be sure you get the matches that are marked, "Strike Anywhere" - the ones you have to strike on the box won't work. The ridges or roughness on the bottom of the vesta case doesn't work very well (and prolly never did) - I just strike the matches on anything that's handy - usually the side of a building or a railing, my shoe sole if it's leather, or the seat of my pants if I'm wearing jeans. If you want to be really cool, learn how to light the with a flick of your thumbnail.

DerMann

Practically Family
I've looked into Lucifer matches quite a bit ever since I heard the phrase:

"while you've a Lucifer to light your fag, smile boys that's the style."
(taken from the WWI song Pack Up Your Troubles)

Matches, or Lucifers as they were called (a certain brand of matches) were one of the first reliable sources of flame (apart form the traditional flint and steel). One could say they were almost too reliable. They were replaced by the safety match because they had a tendency to burst into flames if jostled too much.

On modern strike anywhere matches, on the small white dot on the tip is able to be struck anywhere. Whereas, the entire head of the match on Lucifers was able to combust at the slightest friction.

I've struck modern matches (strike anywhere) on the soles on my shoes, but only if 1) the matches are in good shape and 2) the soles of my shoes were completely dry and a bit striated from concrete.

There was a Popular Science article on how to make your own Lucifer matches, but they warn against doing it due to the danger.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Is it possible to purchase these Lucifer matches?

I've never been able to find strike anywheres that actually work :mad:

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
Most I've seen have a ridged groove in the bottom for striking the matches, but would it be enough for modern safety matches, which are harder to light on surfaces other than the box?

No. Safety matches rely on the mixing of potassium chlorate in the match head with phosphorus on the striker to mix and form a substance that can be ignited by the friction of striking.

DerMann

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
Is it possible to purchase these Lucifer matches?

I've never been able to find strike anywheres that actually work :mad:

If my memory serves me, production of all strike anywhere matches (at least of non-safety matches) ceased altogether (banned) sometime in the 1940s, even though safety matches were developed a few decades after the first lucifers were introduced.

One of the reasons for their ban was the fact that they contained phosphorus, which, with repeated use, caused something called Fossy Jaw.

I've looked as well :\

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
adamjaskie said:
No. Safety matches rely on the mixing of potassium chlorate in the match head with phosphorus on the striker to mix and form a substance that can be ignited by the friction of striking.

That I didn't know. I thought the head required more vigorous friction to ignite.

I can light a fire with flint and steel real fast, but it's not quite so convenient when I'm at school ;)

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
You can generally find strike anywhere matches (the kind with the dot of strike anywhere stuff, not Lucifers) at regular stores in more rural areas. I could pick them up at the convenience store down the street, or the regular grocery stores when I was going to school in the Upper Peninsula, but back in Ann Arbor they are a bit harder to find. I've still seen them here and there, they just aren't as common. Camping stores are a good idea, Warbaby, though all of the "camping" stores around here are basically just Columbia outlets. I don't think they have matches at all, but they'll sell you an $80 blaze orange windproof lighter with a built-in useless compass (no way to sight landmarks==useless) and a whistle.

It was white phosphorus that caused problems. Modern matches have been reformulated to use red phosphorus.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
It's a reason they're called "safety matches", istn't it? They are "safe", in other words, there is no chance of them igniting in your pocket just from friction.

Which got me thinking: Is "not-safety maches" really that dangerous? In the days before safety matches, where there lots of accidents with peoples pants catching fire from loose matches in the pockets? I mean, there must have been a real reason to come up with the safety match? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

DerMann

Practically Family
Helen:

I really wouldn't call them "unsafe" they just required the user to be more careful, and when people became careless, accidents happened.

A good example would be the lack of safeties on revolvers. Just because automatic pistols carry safeties almost standard does not mean revolvers made without safeties are inherently more dangerous. Mistreat both and you will cause an accident.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Nick D said:
I've been thinking about getting an old vesta case for the other end of a double albert chain. Most I've seen have a ridged groove in the bottom for striking the matches, but would it be enough for modern safety matches, which are harder to light on surfaces other than the box?

What about this for an Albert chain vesta?

THE ALBERT COMBINATION Patent No. 4709 VGC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130285870731

Featuring:
> Vesta with striker
> Sovereign holder
> Stamp holder
> Toothpick
> Pencil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner