Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vests

Marty M.

Vendor
Waste not your waistcoat.

Dan,
I didn't realize that it was that cool in CA this time of year.:eusa_doh: We'll be making them for our fall inventory (September) in August. I just started calling the fabric mills that we work with to see what they have as ends (the very last peice of the bolt). This way we can get the fabric for less $. This way we can keep the price down. I've also been finding some very wild and colorful lining fabric for the back. This is important because you know that everybody will do a double take when you walk by. Otherwise, you can always check the thrift shops and ebay. Happy shopping to you Pal.
Marty Mathis

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well not that I'm feeling cold, but I do have a fondness for a tweed waistcoat, & would love to be able to find a source like the Japanese site that has such variety. There have been some good suggestions posted by Nick Charles especially the Bob Parratt site. Rather reasonable prices.
Now if Marty has a site that I can peruse I think we may have a great start. Thanks to all, this is a fantastic start.
Maybe, just maybe, with this thread we can help others who enjoy a good tweed waistcoat but just have trouble finding one. I've tried our thrift stores to no avail. Most sizes are way too small to fit me. My only one that I have I had my lovely woman make for me. I had gotten lucky on the bay and found several yards of herringbone on the cheap. But, since it was a difficult task, I think it was a one time deal. So, on the hunt I go!:)

Cheers!

Dan

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Well folks I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a variety of Harris Tweed vests. I had found the Harris Tweed Shop and they make a respectable vest but in only two models & limited tweeds. Then I had found a Japanese site (Rakuten), but much to my chagrin the site is in kanji and I can't read a lick of it. And no english version of the site to be had. They have a wonderful selection of Traditional Messenger Harris Tweed vests, but if I can't read the site it makes it a tad hard to shop.

So I am looking for some help from you folks in where to find some nice vests like they have on the Rakuten site.

img10052921978.jpeg
img10053025338.jpeg
img10052921963.jpeg
img10052224009.jpeg
img10052921965.jpeg

I take it there pricing is Yen but am not savvy on exchange rates to know what they would be in the US dollar. Who knew that something so common would be so darned hard to find on the net. Go Figure.

Well, I thank anybody that has any solid suggestions and leads to go on and for all of your help.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Wow. Those vests are some of the most stunning vests I have seen. They ooze with timeless style and class.

obiwan

Familiar Face
I just placed an order for 3 odd waistcoats from a Samaulson dealer. I was able to select my fabric, lining, button count, pockets, lapels or none.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
obiwan said:
I just placed an order for 3 odd waistcoats from a Samaulson dealer. I was able to select my fabric, lining, button count, pockets, lapels or none.

Do tell Obiwan. Was this on line or through a local dealer that you use? Sure would like to know. It's always good to have more than one sourse for anything.;)

I had found a UK site that may make custom waistcoats almost by accident. I'm waiting on a response to see what they can do for me. Their prices seem fairly reasonable for bespoke waistcoats. If all goes well and the product is what I expect it to be I let folks know who they are for sure. For right now things are tentative & I need to know more. They do have several items listed that are very nice but not in my size. They did say that they could do an order in my size and asked which style they had that I liked. But, like I said it is tentative and we'll see.

Cheers!

Dan

obiwan

Familiar Face
DanielJones said:
Do tell Obiwan. Was this on line or through a local dealer that you use? Sure would like to know. It's always good to have more than one sourse for anything.;)

I had found a UK site that may make custom waistcoats almost by accident. I'm waiting on a response to see what they can do for me. Their prices seem fairly reasonable for bespoke waistcoats. If all goes well and the product is what I expect it to be I let folks know who they are for sure. For right now things are tentative & I need to know more. They do have several items listed that are very nice but not in my size. They did say that they could do an order in my size and asked which style they had that I liked. But, like I said it is tentative and we'll see.

Cheers!

Dan

I had Mike at The Hound at 140 Sutter St. in San Francisco place the order for me. I was so impressed with their selection and service that I ordered a navy pin stripe three piece last week. I won't see it for up to six weeks, but I think it will be worth the wait.

Give them a call @ (415) 989-0429, ask for Mike he is one of the owners and a very nice fellow to work with.

Keith

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Bump...

Hey there! I thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone has looked into the Odd Vest or any of the suits & clothing from the above site in Japan offering the Odd Vests. Are there any other sites out there that anybody else has found that offers the variety that the Trad House offers? Would love to know.

Cheers!

Dan

chucklehead

A-List Customer
proper vest length? (advice needed)

I am a tall, a 47T to be specific, & I will be making / sewing / constructing my own vests, & I will probably have to alter the patterns (simplicity 4762) to make them fit properly. So my question is; were should the bottom of the vest “end” or lie? I assume it should cross the top of the trousers, but how far should it penetrate? thanks much.

4762.jpg

chucklehead

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Just long enough to cover the waistband should give a good length. Especially if the waistband is quite high, this produces quite a nice æsthetic.

bk

what if the vest has a straight bottom hem?

funneman

Practically Family
Suede Leather Vest

I have a real nice black one.

Can't figure out what kind of blazer/sportcoat I could wear with it.
I have a nice grey scottish Harris Tweed on the way from ebay, how about that?

Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner